Dog Names - List?

*kirty*

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the people who adopted a rescue pug from me, named him Barry. I loved it. :laugh:

I think Pugs are really suited to names like Barry and Brian and Kevin :laugh: I know one at the dog park called Tupug (as in the rapper Tupac, but he's a Pug lol). When I was considering a Pug I had the name Sammie in my head for a fawn female.

Actually I also knew a Pug x called Puck, now that I think about it.

I don't really have any names on my pet names list at the moment, I'm hoping the name will come if/when I decide on the dog.

The Puck I groom is a Pug cross. Looks like a wire coat Pug!

And I knew a purebred pug named Puck. Sadly she passed some years ago.

When we first got Boofy, I wanted to call him Splat. My husband hated it though so in the end he scored Boofy. :D

Boof was the only pet I've owned in the last 15 years or more that I've really had the chance to name. Monte and Oliva were rescues and came in with those names, and Molly the cat was mum's originally and already named.

My new addition, when I find him or her, will be mine to name though...although he/she will be a cat.

I like the name Sebastian too.

There was a story recently in the papers about the most popular dog and cat names on the companion animals registry. I'll see if I can find it.

My Rotties were...

Woosie

Blossom

Rastus

Shadow

Punkin

Dexter

Connor

Mutts...

Rebel (Goldie/BC -looked like a wire haired BC)

Zeddy (Rotti/Pittie)

Trouble (Lab/Dingo)

Pickles (Camp Dog - makes Heinz 57 look purebred)

Harper (Staffy/Dane)

I've named hundreds of rescue pups and dogs over the years too... errr!

Best lot were...

Tarquin

Theodore

Nathaniel

Fable

Scout

T.

Mr PK and I thought of an adorable name the other day: Lamington! :laugh: :love:

Of course the dog would have to be black & white or brown & white. :D

A few years ago, I named a foster greyhound Lamington. She was black but with really bad scurf, so it kind of looked like someone had sprinkled her in desiccated coconut.

Her new owner's renamed her Lucy, which I guess is nice enough but.. meh.

Some of the more interesting names I've had..

Islah - Came from a very bad situation with a lot of issues that needed fixing, the name was pretty optimistic on my part but she got there, eventually.

Jelly - Named Kelly by her trainer (who names a dog Kelly?) and had to change it to something similar but less awful.

Azura (mostly called Zuri) - A daedric prince from the Elder Scrolls.

Brinny

Doug - Which was a funny name in theory but.. Doug also liked to dig, so that got confusing very quickly. "Who dug the hole?" "Doug." "Yeah, who dug it?" *facepalm*

Osti - Originally named Sally2 (we already had a Sally), it was changed to Osti reflect her breeding.

when we were married my husband had never had a dog, we had our honeymoon on Great Keppel Island and named our first dog Keppel, haven't heard any other dogs with this name. our second dog was named Tammy because it was my favourite girls name and we only had boys, our third dog was named after my husbands favourite beer - Boags.

Bana - after the actor, dog was a girl!

Miss Francine - working dog

Juiletta - got her in July

Mandella - Ridgeback cross and a real peace maker and almost black

Mallee - short & stumpy BC cross Corgi - yes an odd bod dog

Neo - red merle Koolie - the colour of Neopolitan icecream

Note to self not to let partner name the girls again.

Edited by Katsin

We had Tuffy, a papillon who was named by his breeder. He was the runt of the litter and she thought he wasn't going to make it but he was a tough little man. :)

And now we have Malcolm, whose name was chosen by a nurse at the vet that checked him out after he was sprung from the pound. I kept it as I think it's an adorable name that suits him. The original name on his microchip was Killer. :eek:

I desperately want to name a dog Floki (with accent!) from Vikings! It would have to be a 'special' dog just like his namesake.

Chimmy - When I was a toddler we had a JRT called this which came from the chimney sweep song in Mary Poppins which came out around the same time.

Phobie - My very first dog of my own was an OES who I named Phobie (said Fobie) as I thought that was how you spelt and said the name Phoebe.

Hey Dog/Gordon/Ian - One of the funniest we had was a corgi/shephard cross I took on as an adult who had been named Hey Dog by his previous teenage owner who had sensory and intellectual disabilities. Over the years he lived with us he also responded to Ian and Gordon which were names of friends we had back then. No idea why but maybe they were also trialled by the original owners before Hey Dog stuck.

Ricky - Female SBT named after Ricki Lake by the original owner.

Bundy - Male SBT also named by the original owner because he was born in Queensland but relocated to Vic.

Stussy- My current SBT arrived with no name (and had never had one apparently). She wouldn't respond to all the girly names I wanted. In desperation my friends and I were sitting around saying names at her and someone said the surf clothing brand name Stussy and she responded.

Tempeh - Our shar pei was Dimples as a foster and when she became a foster fail I wanted to give her a Cantonese name that described her personality. I did loads of research but she was having none of it. We came up with Tempeh Soya Bean Dean (Tempeh being an asian food item made from soya beans and Dean being our surname) and because the 'temp' and 'dimp' sounds are similar. She also responds equally to her nickname Doodle Bug.

If anyone ever hears of another Tempeh I'd love to know. I wasn't planning on having a food named dog but it happened!

I enjoy rescue naming smile.gif considering most people change names on adoption anyway LOL

And I like the old folks to have vintage names. You can probably pick them. ;-)

Some;

Fairy Love & Cherie Amour

Wookie Bear

Lucy Tinker

Henny Penny

Nik Nak

Pipsqueak Gummybear

Sparkle & Twinkle

Chicken Little

Piper Lee

Glenda

Bertrand aka Bertie Beetle

Dulcie

Percy Morris

Polar

Myron

Maxwell Smart

Oliver Twist

Duchess of Yorkie

Moxie

Had an ancient rescue called Miss Jenny, after my granddaughter's kindy teacher.

Husband's has Dominic and had Errol and Daniel.

I've always wanted a Mini Dachsie called Johann Sebastian with the call name Bach.

We had Tuffy, a papillon who was named by his breeder. He was the runt of the litter and she thought he wasn't going to make it but he was a tough little man. :)And now we have Malcolm, whose name was chosen by a nurse at the vet that checked him out after he was sprung from the pound. I kept it as I think it's an adorable name that suits him. The original name on his microchip was Killer. :eek:

egads. No. Malcolm is much better.

One of the guys at my hubbys work called his CKCS "Pause" which I think is cute.

Over the years I've had / have shared my life with in some respect

Lucy - dads breeding weim bitches

Lady

Brit

---

Spud - Our first house dog - a B&W foxie :thumbsup:

Pete - dont remember much about him. Hit by a car :(

Goldie (Inherited her - she was only around ...months she was an old old girl)

Tooma (after the NSW town)

Hannah (hit by car)

The cattle dogs (all but Jilly went with mums partner when he left)

Jill - my darling Blue ACD - died suddenly at a very young age

Bull - her red partner in crime

Nunya (business)

Wendy

Roe - a "needs new home" mum got at a garage sale.

+ Timmy - who wasn't a cattle dog - but the partners chi - he also went back with his owner

---

Reba (my brothers staffy bitch after the singer - after she "sang the song of her people" the whole 2 hour drive home)

Russell - Similar to Roe - a JRT mum bought home after chatting to his ex owners at work one morning. She was always bringing animals home

Guinea

Major

Scottie

Very nearly named the dog river or pebbles. I think either would have suited equally as well.

For awhile I really wanted a dog named Honey.

Most dogs I meet... Baileys, bellas and lunas XD

Met a small fluffy called marshmallow ????

Edited by Thistle the dog

I always wanted a fawn Frenchie called Fozzie and now I have my own Fozzie Bear and we got a baby Angora goat and called him Cookie Monster lol

post-23033-0-23516500-1471847706_thumb.jpg

post-23033-0-84504500-1471847741_thumb.jpg

Cas perhaps I've missed it but where is the thread of a million photos of this pup, please?