Dog Names - List?

*kirty*

It's funny, my Quinn is a girl, and I don't even know where the name came from, it's only since having her that people have made suggestions about it, including The Mighty Quinn, and an Eskimo, or is that the same one??

It was just when I knew I wanted an Aussie Shepherd it would be a blue merle female named Quinn...and it suits her down to the ground, and I adore her. Embarrassingly, the song I associate with her is "I knew I Loved You Before I Met You" by Savage Garden :o

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Quinn is more common as a girls name now - my daughter's friend has it as a middle name and there's a character on the show Unreal named Quinn. But I think it works for both!

I love that song story. Awww.

I have had:

Zebby (Was short for Zebedee. From the Magic Roundabout. As a pup she was on springs)

Halley (Named after the comet because as a pup she was a little ball of fire with a long tail)

Cookie (was a Dalmatian - choc chips! LOL!)

Milou (named after the dog in the Tin Tin cartoon)

Liza-Jane (A rescue who came to me as Liza, but was too blonde to be called just that. Her personality was 100% hyphenated)

We have:

Hamish (my other half named him ....what else do you name a French dog with Norwegian parents .... :doh:)

Grace (she is named after the Neil Diamond song 'Pretty Amazing Grace'. Held a lot of meaning right at that time. This pup was meant to be called something else, but she was 'Grace' from the moment I saw her)

Louise (my other half again ... He gets to name every second dog and I just have to wear it. Have to keep the peace after all :D. She gets called Cheezle a lot though )

Nena (ok, back with the fun names. It is pronounced Nay-na. It is Spanish slang for sweetheart or baby. Her sire is from Spain )

Sookie (My other half actually chose a fun one! She is named after the Steppenwolf song Sookie Sookie, and she is a total sook)

Oh yes, and the cats are Twistie (because life is pretty straight without her) and Teagah.

I have a looong list of prospective names. Some of them include Yogi (not your average bear), Neska (Basque for young girl), Vida (life), Loca (crazy) and Cochon (pig).

I have also always thought it would be fun to name a bitch Karma (as after all, Karma is a bitch ;) ).

One name I have heard that I always thought was fun is Taxi. Try calling that when you are out in public. :winner:

• 2 weeks later...

I have always disliked human names for pets, but have been stuck with them several times.

As a young child the bitch in one of my mother's litters that was to be mine, I named "Star". Now the litter had an aboriginal theme so she was registered as "Ungamilya" which was "star" in whichever dialect Mum's language dictionary used. Instead of being called Star, she somehow metamorphosed into Milly, or Milly-Molly-Mandy if she didn't listen first time.

I have a new black DSH cat, a foster failure, who is Sebastian and somehow it is exactly right for him so he will keep it. He gets Sebas sometimes, which is the nickname for a suburb in nearby Ballarat, which can cause confusion LOL. Sometimes I will name rescue surrenders after the area they came from, especially if they have a silly name they don't respond to. People who know that, assume they know from where Sebas came - er, no, not this time!

My beloved Mastiff bitch was named for her habit of leaning against you, but "Lena" turns out to be a human name as well.

Currently I have in the house my own baby girl "Cookie", so named as she is a smart little cookie, long term rehab fosters Dayna and Pepsi, short term fosters Trinity, Rocko and Bearji and my own cats Chai and the above-mentioned Sebastian. Dayna, Trinity and the cats all came with their names, the others have had their names slightly modified from dull ones.

The post would be far too long if I listed all the names of animals I have had over the years but there are some names that make me wince - "Frank" for a pug (from the MIB movie), "Rover", "Dfor" and its correlates for other species and the Brutus/Killer/Sarge type names for supposedly tough dogs owned by supposedly tough twats.

Ish has already listed some of her favorite names, but I rather like her "Mittens" which I think is a fantastic name for a GSD bitch!

I had several names I really liked and named puppies that I bred and was going to keep but for various reasons I didn't keep.

I also had a thing about using a name that I had already used, however I relented on that for my last two and the last one I bred was Tori which happened to be an anagram of her name Quite A Riot. I now have Spice, a name which I had coveted for years, and love it. It suits her to the ground and when I told her breeder I was going to call her Spice he registered her as Spice Is Nice.

My 9-year-plans to have two pugs when she grows up who she will name Gnocchi and Babaganoush.

Names I love for my future Boxer or Dalmatian girl are Delilah, Clover or Coco. I also idly dream about a husky named Quinn so I could sing the Bob Dylan song to him.

You dont mean the Mighty Quinn by Manfred Mann do you?

Well, Bob Dylan wrote it and has released a recording of it, so that's the one I think of even though I know it was also released by Manfred Man. My dad is a big Dylan fan

I never knew that!! I used to always wonder if it had something to do with Anthony Quinn playing an Eskimo in a movie when I was a kid.