Help With Night Time Waking Please

Hi all, wondering if I could please have some non-judgmental advise.

I Have a 2 year old female JRT and a 4.5 year old male both are extremely well mannered and in every way part of the family

They both sleep in the bedroom with us on the end of the bed and have always done so ( please no judgment).

They boy is great and sleeps through the night but my little girl is waking us up constantly to go to the toilet in the middle of the night ( on average 3 x a night).

She seems to wake up to the smallest move or sound, if not waking on her own accord,

I am pregnant and having to go to the toilet every 5 minutes myself and it seems that every time I wake up she wakes up. ( keep in mind she was doing this prior to me being pregnant)

If we tell her to go back to sleep she will pace for a bit and eventually have an accident inside.

If I put her to sleep in the laundry for the night she sleeps through and doesn’t mess .

I don’t want to get angry at her for waking us up when she does need to because she woke us up rather than just making a mess but I don’t know what to do anymore.

I made her sleep in the laundry for 8 nights and never once had a mess up, moved her back into the bedroom on the 9th night and she woke us up again to go out 2 x that night

Can anyone offer any advice / help on fixing this OTHER than crate training or making her sleep in the laundry for the rest of her nights 

I'd put her in the laundry to sleep. It seems to work well for both of you, so no reason not too. She probably gets a better night sleep too without you waking her up! Some dogs do prefer to sleep away from you ????

I'd put her in the laundry to sleep. It seems to work well for both of you, so no reason not too. She probably gets a better night sleep too without you waking her up! Some dogs do prefer to sleep away from you ????

Thanks Cha, honestly if she seemed to like it I would be 100 % happy with doing that but when I do go to lock her in there she races to the bedroom and hides under the covers, she also pulls the face as if ate a box of toilet rolls when I do get her in the laundry lol

Totally get this, they do like to manipulate us ☺ one of mine looks like she's being murdered when we send her to bed (off my bed and into the study). Though when she is really tired, all she wants is to go to her bed alone in the study. Its her safe place ☺

Sounds like she's a light sleeper alright! I'd get a vet check to be on the safe side - unusual to need to pee twice in the night. Once I can understand on occasion. Funny that she's dry in the laundry though - perhaps she is sleeping more deeply. If she's medically fine then just be conscious of your response when she wakes you up. Don't say a word, slip a leash over her head, take her outside, pee, back to bed. Sometimes it's easy to make these interactions too rewarding.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Totally get this, they do like to manipulate us ☺ one of mine looks like she's being murdered when we send her to bed (off my bed and into the study). Though when she is really tired, all she wants is to go to her bed alone in the study. Its her safe place ☺

Not necessarily.

My dog used to wake up to any little sound and pace at night because he had undiagnosed and untreated Generalised Anxiety Disorder. He was unable to sleep / sleep soundly due to the extent of his anxiety. Now that he is on medication and less anxious he can sleep through, apart from needing a toilet break on the odd occasion.

Other dogs can wake up at night and pace and bark due to Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (Dementia).

Or they may get up due to an illness increasing their need to pee, perhaps as a result of increasing their water intake. something else increasing how often the dog needs to go out.

By all means look at what other things you can do (i.e. do you feed a salty treat before bed that increases water intake then increases need to pee? Does the dog need a quieter place to sleep so as not to be woken as easily?), but a vet check would be wise.

Not necessarily.

My dog used to wake up to any little sound and pace at night because he had undiagnosed and untreated Generalised Anxiety Disorder. He was unable to sleep / sleep soundly due to the extent of his anxiety. Now that he is on medication and less anxious he can sleep through, apart from needing a toilet break on the odd occasion.

Other dogs can wake up at night and pace and bark due to Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (Dementia).

Or they may get up due to an illness increasing their need to pee, perhaps as a result of increasing their water intake. something else increasing how often the dog needs to go out.

By all means look at what other things you can do (i.e. do you feed a salty treat before bed that increases water intake then increases need to pee? Does the dog need a quieter place to sleep so as not to be woken as easily?), but a vet check would be wise.

A vet check is an excellent idea of course, though because this dog can sleep for 8 nights in a row in the laundry without having an accident, there may be some level of comfort there.

I feel for all of you. It's hard having broken sleep but she must really need to go too - if she is messing in the house.

I agree with a lot of what's said above. A general check up is a good place to start.

I'd also be looking towards making alternate sleeping locations equally or more attractive - like the laundry. My boy sleeps in his own bed (or the couch) most of the night then gets in with us when we gets cold. In summer we hardly see him at all except for morning cuddles.

I know you said NO CRATES - but maybe it's worth starting the process - I assume (could be wrong) that this is your first (human) baby and both you the dogs might appreciate a crate when you have a toddler in the house! And I'm sure there'll be times when you're grateful for alternate sleeping options for them. You don't have to always shut the door but it could give both your dogs a safe comfy spot to go to down the track as well as helping you now.

Other than that, if your girl checks out OK physically, TSD gives good advice above . Or if you're in a position to do so - consider a doggy door and/or try giving her a bit more mental exercise so she's mentally and physically tired at bed time.

If you've ruled everything else out and are still desiring her to sleep on the bed perhaps invest in some bitches britches and pop in a lady pad. Breeders often use these to stop bitches in season dropping blood all over furniture and bedding etc

That way you can hold out on her instead of having to take her out just in case. If she pees her pants she and your floors/furniture stay dry. Often it's enough wearing pants for them to kind of retrain themselves.

Whatever you do you want to get it sorted before baby because everyone's sleep is going to become even more precious. You don't want to be up and down to a dog and a baby.

Edited by Gruf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All thank you for the replies and sorry for my late response.

Yes it’s our first baby and I want to make sure the dogs are as comfortable as can be before everyone’s world turns upside down 

All my non doggy family and friends are telling me how I won’t love my dogs as much ( they are my world) when bub gets here and its really starting to upset me…. I’m not like them and I’m sure I can love them as well !!!

It’s not that I’m against crating at all it’s just that I don’t think she will like it, also it’s not a matter of my wanting her to sleep on bed – I’m happy for her to sleep where ever she wants but I want her to be able to have that free range. Our older boy sleeps on the lounge in summer and on super cold nights in winter will sleep in front of the fire place – all that’s fine, I just want them to sleep where they are comfy and for her it’s on the bed lol

When I put her in the laundry she looks like she’s in trouble, I don’t want her to feel like that

I will defiantly do a vet check, do I just tell the vet what I have said here? Other than this there are no other problems and she’s a healthy happy little girl

Thank you all again 

Not necessarily.

A vet check is an excellent idea of course, though because this dog can sleep for 8 nights in a row in the laundry without having an accident, there may be some level of comfort there.

Maybe we are speaking at cross terms, lol, as that actually proves my point rather than goes against it! :grimace: The flipside to "some level of comfort in the laundry" would mean there's some level of discomfort in the bedroom. For whatever reason. The main one that sticks out to me is that a dog could be hearing something in the bedroom that he is unable to hear in the laundry. Like Apple2 getting up, as mentioned in the first post. :)

I just think it's overreach to say a dog is trying to manipulate... I don't think a dog is being manipulative if he is easily woken and unable to settle (pacing) and needs to pee, especially if there's a health condition behind it, and being shut up in the laundry probably does feel like punishment to the dog right now even if he does settle afterwards. Perhaps all the jostling from pacing brings on the need to pee.

-----

Apple2, I would still get the dogs crates and crate train them in the sense of making the crate a wonderful place to be, but I would remove the door (or roll it up if a soft crate). The idea is that the dog has a safe den to retreat to at their own will once the baby comes. The baby should not have access to the crate including as he or she gets older.

Are you doing other training to prepare the dogs for the baby's arrival? There's CDs / DVDs you can buy ("Tell your dog you're having a baby" etc) and also an app called "Sound Proof Puppy Training" which can be used to desensitise dogs to babies crying. Getting in a positive reinforcement-based trainer to help can also be a great thing. Just helps set everyone up for success. :)

And absolutely tell your vet what you have said here. Main summary being, your dog wakes easily, paces a lot afterwards, then urinates if you don't let her out. This means she needs to be let out multiple times through the night. Sleeps through if in the laundry. So you're wanting to rule out anything that may cause an increased need to pee.

The vet may just say put her in the laundry but there are other solutions. And if the laundry ends up being the solution so your dog can get a good night's sleep, you can ABSOLUTELY change the way your dog feels about the laundry using counter conditioning and positive reinforcement. The laundry can be a veritable doggy oasis. A good behavioural trainer may be of help here, as well as with the 'preparing for baby' work.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

It's not that I'm against crating at all it's just that I don't think she will like it, also it's not a matter of my wanting her to sleep on bed – I'm happy for her to sleep where ever she wants but I want her to be able to have that free range. Our older boy sleeps on the lounge in summer and on super cold nights in winter will sleep in front of the fire place – all that's fine, I just want them to sleep where they are comfy and for her it's on the bed lol

Crate training, when done right, is for the benefit of the dog and the added benefits are for the humans. It's their safe place and sanctuary, not a 'cage' or place of convenience like locking them up in the laundry. Plenty of great literature and crate training threads in this forum, highly encourage you to read some of it. It will be highly beneficial when you're having people come over and you're wrangling a child (or two or cooking while the doorbell rings....) etc etc. It's not the be all and end all to every problem, but have a good read about it before you make a final decision.

I would suggest you need to be more open minded to teaching them some new options before the baby comes,no matter what the dogs will play second fiddle at first & the dogs wont be able to have free range as the toddler starts to walk & wander .It would be easier for the dogs to adjust now to some new rules before the baby comes along .

If your girl is a light sleeper for example her sleep patterns will be very interupted when the baby wakes up at night .

I agree if she can hold on in the laundry then there is a degree of not feeling right in the room