9 Week Old Staffy Puppy Not Eating And Underweight

Darby

What a roller coaster of a day!

Our puppy was a little better this morning and seemed a bit brighter and even ate a little bit.

The results of the blood test done on Saturday then came back with high calcium and phosphate levels, low chloride and also anaemic. The vets said that this could be an indication of a tumour.

The vets also tested his urine and his glucose levels were high and his urine had a low concentration which apparently might also indicate a kidney problem.

They were also worried about his spine and back legs. He looks a little hunched over sometimes. We just thought this was because he was a bit skinny. They also think the muscles around his back legs are under developed and weak.

The vets suggested that they keep him in and put him on a drip as he was quite dehydrated and said that the next course of action is to do an ultrasound and an X-ray.

They did another run of tests this afternoon and his kidneys now appear normal but his calcium and phosphate are still high.

He has now also eaten a bit more at the vets and seems quite a bit happier. I think being on the drip has helped him.

The vets are also now wondering if the black poo and loss of appetite might have been due to worms and associated damage to his digestive lining. The breeder did worm him before we got him and the vets gave him another dose on Saturday

I've contacted the breeder and he isn't being helpful at all. He told me that the puppy was fine when we got him a week ago and that he is our responsibility. He said if the vets can't fix him to put him down and he will give me $1,000 back. I really hope it doesn't come to that and it's really not about money but this probably won't even cover my vet bill let alone the $1,800 we paid for him.

I've spoken to dogs NSW and they've said if it is a pre existing condition the breeder is responsible and we can lodge a complaint.

This really isn't working out as we planned. I now understand all the comments about buying through a reputable breeder and feel really stupid that i didn't research things better.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm so sorry for what has happening with your puppy. Please make sure you get documentation for everything at the vets incase you need it, and if the vet diagnoses it as a prexisisting condition get it in writing and ask your vet to send you a copy of the scans that have been taken.

I've contacted the breeder and he isn't being helpful at all. He told me that the puppy was fine when we got him a week ago and that he is our responsibility. He said if the vets can't fix him to put him down and he will give me $1,000 back. I really hope it doesn't come to that and it's really not about money but this probably won't even cover my vet bill let alone the $1,800 we paid for him.

I guess you don't need good people skills to be a dog breeder - sigh.

But I am surprised this breeder does not seem more interested in the health and well being of the puppy they bred.

Does not seem to fit entirely with item 6 (and some of the others) in the Dogs NSW code of ethics.

However pointing that out to the breeder at this stage - might not help.

Definitely mention to the vet about the rock eating.

I'm saddened but not surprised by the attitude of this breeder.

I will say though that whilst the purchase price does sound excessive to some, in actual fact, if it is a Main Register puppy, $1800 isn't so bad. Average price these days for Limited Registration seems to be $1000 - 1500 and Main Registration $1500 - 2000. Of course, the money grubbers are still trying to charge more for blue and blue bred puppies.

As an indication of how small the puppy is, my recent litter of three boys....the SMALLEST in the litter weighed just over 3kg at 9 weeks of age.

I hope you can get some definitive answers soon and I hope the puppy turns the corner and can be brought back to full health. I also pray that if it is a genetic issue, or even an issue that could be considered environmental, that the "breeder" takes note for future litters.

Thanks for everyone's concern.

The vets are still trying to work out what's going on. He is back home now and is a bit happier and eating a bit more but still not enough. He has gained a little bit of weight though and is up to 2.1kg

The ultrasound and X-ray didn't show anything which is good.

Two days ago he started urinating constantly- like every 30 seconds! We took him back to the vet and they found blood in his urine which indicates a uti. They have now run some further tests and found crystals in his urine and are sending his sample off for another test at pathology.

In the mean time they have given him antibiotics which seem to be working as he isn't peeing as much

Still hardly eating at all but seems yo be happy and playing a bit.

We have tried different types of food to see if we can get him a bit more interested but not having much luck with anything. He ate a little bit of human grade mince last night and will occasionally have a little nibble on some wet food but won't go near dry food.

We have also been giving him a little bit of biolac milk powder.

The vets even suggested giving him some bbq chicken so we were going to try that.

I know this isn't ideal but we just want to try to get him eating something.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to foods we could try?

BBQ chicken is great :)

I'm surprised the vet didn'[t suggest something like NUTRIGEL .. it's a tasty paste which can be of help to ill and convalescing animals ....

Drinking is more important .

make some chicken soup (NO ONION or salt) and see if he'll drink some :)

scrambled egg?

Nature's gift canned food ...

BBQ chicken, boiled rice, all mixed in chicken broth... serve warm for best results...he should be very interested because it smells bloody amazing, and tastes good too! Give in small helpings numerous times throughout the day so he is getting enough into him.

T.

you could look up the recipe for satin balls - something like chicken mince, peanut paste (Smooth and no artificial sweetener like xylitol - cos that can kill a dog), eggs.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/57472-satin-balls/page__view__findpost__p__902897

Some recipes have cereal and egg shells - I would not feed that to a puppy.

I make boiled chicken and rice for my dog when she's had a tummy upset. And sometimes I eat some of it. I boil the chicken and the rice together. for my dog - I use skinless fillets but she doesn't need to put weight on. If I wanted to make the dog fat - I'd use the skin and fat.

Don't cook minced chicken carcass. Use the human grade chicken mince or cut the human grade fillets. I just don't trust the stuff put into pet grade mince. floor scrapings with who knows what mixed into it.

You could also try a little bit (a dessert spoon ful) of yogurt - some dogs are sensitive to lactose but in yogurt and cheese most of the lactose has been converted into something else (fat?). And you may want to try a little bit of fish eg a teaspoonful of sardine in olive oil (I like the canadian one - less pollution I'm hoping than asia). Do not feed the whole can of sardines - or the farts will drive you out of your house. No onion either - never ever give a dog onion.

Pay attention to what your dog checks out in the garden. he may be picking up something there (germs, slugs rat lungworm, worms) that is bad for him. Grass is ok by itself. But not if it's covered in snail trails.

Also pay attention to any table scraps or treats he gets from the human's table. There's some things that are fine for most humans to eat but no good at all for a dog. Things like chocolate, walnuts, macadamias, grapes, onion, cooked bones, some raw bones...

Do keep us updated.

if he's still not eating happily ... I would suggest a second opinion . is he drinking/peeing OK now? Did the vet show you how to check for dehydration?

Don't change food quickly .. and , until you find out what the problem is , try & avoid extremely fatty/oily foods . A tummy unused to handling even 'normal' food in a decent quantity just needs 'baby' type - simple and plain ...obviously meat has some fat in - that's essential :)

I'm afraid this is not going to end well. Our puppy is eating a tiny bit more but still not growing. He's still only 2.2kg at 10 weeks!

He is now really sad and hardly playful at all and now also seems to be in considerable discomfort around his belly.

A more senior vet saw him yesterday and said that while they can't determine exactly what is going on she said he does have some severe issues. She thinks he may have a problem with his liver and also has some neurological abnormalities.

They are now saying that the only real option if we want to go further is to refer him to animal hospital in Sydney where they can do more detailed diagnostics but that the outlook still isn't good.

We have made the decision to put the poor little guy out of his misery.

This has been a traumatic few weeks for my family and I am really angry at the breeder. He may not of known the extent of our puppies problems when he sold him to us but his attitude since then has been disgusting!