Finding A Border Collie Puppy

kas

Hi

After many years we are finally looking to get another border collie. Our last boy left us with such high expectations that I am finding it hard to decide on a breeder and a puppy. The breeder we got our last boy from no longer breeds but has been wonderful in helping us look for another boy.

So far I have narrowed it down to the following breeders

Bojak

Nahrof

or

Little Eden

I am looking for recommendations on any of the above. We prefer the traditional black & White borders with the fully white collar.

Little Eden currently has puppies that look lovely, but the mum has not been hip scored. Is this an issue ?

Thanks for any help.

Kas

I have a Bojak girl. She is 9 years old & never had any health issues & is a good all round dog. They do seem to turn out a lot of puppies though...not sure if this limits the time they can spend with all individual litters. But I am happy with my girl....she is my soul mate...even if a bit naughty :)

I would definitely be looking for breeders who have at a minimum hip/elbow scored, gonioscopied (eye check) and have either DNA tested for CL, TNS and CEA or are from lines where the parents are clear.

Hip and elbow dysplasia most definitely does happen in border collies and while it can happen even if parents are scored, a puppy from sound parents and generations of dogs with low scores is less likely to have problems than 1 without that background history.

Just from looking at the website of them all, I wouldn't choose Little Eden as they don't appear to show their dogs & have a lot of different colours - those things alone wouldn't bother me but both together concern me. Along with not having a bitch hip-scored (unless they're waiting to wean the litter before they do them?).

I love the look of Nahrof dogs plus they have all their dogs' health testing on their website.

That said, it's your choice & I know none of them from a bar of soap.