Apartment Friendly Dog

PuppyLove16

Hi,

I'm looking for a breed of dog which will suit my lifestyle, and am trying to be practical rather than go for the cutest. I've always loved chihuahua's but I know they can be quite yappy which would be a concern for me, living in an apartment. I work some days at home, and some away from home (although a puppy day care is close to me and would be prepared to do a day there for company), but otherwise I'm a home body and looking for a companion dog. I live near lots of parks so can easily accommodate some daily exercise. Ideally it would be low maintenance when it comes to grooming and not shed too much. From my research, it seems French Bulldog and Boston Terrier accommodate what I'm looking for, and they are adorable but wondering if any dog experts out there had any other suggestions for a low energy, quiet, companion dog.

Many thanks.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe an older re-home / rescue would be better than a pup?

To be fair - you an never be 100% sure what you're going to get but some older dogs who've been in foster care or a home and need a new one could be a good fit. My last girl was always happy so long as she had her bed - but she was 15ish when she died and had been thought her naughty years too.

To be fair - you an never be 100% sure what you're going to get but some older dogs who've been in foster care or a home and need a new one could be a good fit. My last girl was always happy so long as she had her bed - but she was 15ish when she died and had been thought her naughty years too.

agreed :)

You might get some useful information from previous discussions on D O L :)

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

From what I've seen of Boston Terriers, they seem to be quite outgoing and very lively little dogs.

Create s list of possible breeds then if you can, attend a dog show to speak with breeders -- or even call a few. The more info you get about a few breeds will really help you choose something suitable.

I also agree with looking at older dogs too -- there are so many gorgeous ones available!!

The two frenchies i know aren't exactly laid back- but maybe they are more active than the breed generally is. One of them is a terror laugh.gif

Cav isnt a bad suggeston, i own three, and live with my sisters- so we have 4 at the moment, but i think in an apartment mine would need to be walked twice a day, definitely at least once.

They shed a bit, but not too badly, grooming is quite easy. And you can get them clipped to minimise both of those too.

Greyhounds, though large, may fit the bill. They are often pegged as great apartment dogs.

I think it's important to note that being outside is not just important from an exercise perspective but also a mental one. So these park visits are going to need to be more frequent than if you had outdoors space of your own.

What is the apartment like? Do you have a large balcony for example? A courtyard?

You will need to see if you are allowed to have a dog in your apartment and if there is any restrictions on the size of dog allowed. Some may not allow dogs over 10kg for example, and you may need approval from the Owners Corporation / Body Corporate. If you rent the unit, you will also need the landlords' permission.

Just some other things to consider.

I agree. An older dog who's already lived in similar circumstances to what you'll be able to offer, will have proved itself.

Selecting only on breed also overlooks that there's differences among individual dogs within a breed.

Like among Tibetan Spaniels there's a saying that they're 1/3 dog, 1/3 cat & 1/3 monkey in their nature. But individual tibbies can be more so of one. For example, some tibbies are far more cat-like in their behaviours. Maybe people experienced with other breeds also see 'types' across the breed when it comes down to individual dogs?

Best wishes in your search for the right doggie match. Good on you for researching so carefully.

Edited by mita

How about a griffon bruxellois? I've not owned one but I've always thought they would make good apartment dogs for someone who was a homebody but also liked to go to cafes etc

Edited for autocorrect issue

Edited by mackiemad

Thanks for the responses everyone, lots to think about. The apartment does have a terrace and any dogs definitely allowed by Body Corporate provided they are not a nuisance so all of that is ok.

I LOVE griffon bruxellois'... like half of the population I fell in love with them when I saw As Good As It Gets, but hadn't thought of them, so will look more into them, thanks. I have heard they are very intelligent though so might be a good fit.

Besides being an apartment dog what features do you want in a dog

I have to agree that people tend to under estimate Frenchies and Bostons energy levels ,great dogs but they do love life .

Do you want smooth coat or happy to visit a groomer ,do you want to do long walks or short walks,beach no beach ,are you on ground floor etc

An older Frenchie with a known personality would be a good idea. My guy is five now and pretty much sleeps all day after his morning walk. Bostons are a completely different kettle of fish.

Hi,

I'm looking for a breed of dog which will suit my lifestyle, and am trying to be practical rather than go for the cutest. I've always loved chihuahua's but I know they can be quite yappy which would be a concern for me, living in an apartment. I work some days at home, and some away from home (although a puppy day care is close to me and would be prepared to do a day there for company), but otherwise I'm a home body and looking for a companion dog. I live near lots of parks so can easily accommodate some daily exercise. Ideally it would be low maintenance when it comes to grooming and not shed too much. From my research, it seems French Bulldog and Boston Terrier accommodate what I'm looking for, and they are adorable but wondering if any dog experts out there had any other suggestions for a low energy, quiet, companion dog.

Many thanks.

awwww... LOOK HERE

He looks pretty perfect!

Also bear in mind, body corporate allows dogs if they are not a nuisance, so that is open to all sorts of interpretations, if you end up with one that yaps etc you will get booted.

It might be a fluke from his mix, but Archie looks like......

The description says he'd do well rehomed with another dog, but it's not essential.

I agree with juice that what the body corporate decides whether a dog is a nuisance or not, is open to interpretation.

I agree, Papillon's are gorgeous. We had a family one growing up when we were kids. I think I prefer a short coat though which is easy to maintain and preferably doesn't shed much. Thank you for all the responses. That little dog someone posted was absolutely gorgeous too, I hope he gets a good home.