Looking For Our Future Companion

brittany13

If you like the Brittany an ESS could be another option. I have field-bred Springers - lots of energy, limited coat, definitely need a mental outlet (not just running) but are amazingly sweet, snuggly house dogs. One of my puppy buyers also has show-bred Springers and there's pics and descriptions of both on my website (in my signature but thornfield.com.au in case you're on a mobile device).

Hi Spotted Devil :)

I actually didn't realise the field bred Springers were so different in type to the show ones.

We have only met the show type ones with their long flowing coat that is a lot of work.

Had a look at your website and had a read of all the info you have on there - thanks for that. Your dogs look great :thumbsup:

They look like more of what we are looking for...similar to the Brittany :)

Another breed definitely to ad to our short list to research a lot further. :thumbsup:

Hi Sheridan

Thanks re the offer to help out. :thumbsup:

I just noticed my profile says I am from Queensland though, where you are listed.

I just fixed it. I am actually from Victoria not Queensland.

Don't know when that changed :confused:

Qld is the default setting.

I'll have a chat to some of the Vic wheaten folks. :)

If you like the Brittany an ESS could be another option. I have field-bred Springers - lots of energy, limited coat, definitely need a mental outlet (not just running) but are amazingly sweet, snuggly house dogs. One of my puppy buyers also has show-bred Springers and there's pics and descriptions of both on my website (in my signature but thornfield.com.au in case you're on a mobile device).

I actually didn't realise the field bred Springers were so different in type to the show ones.

We have only met the show type ones with their long flowing coat that is a lot of work.

Had a look at your website and had a read of all the info you have on there - thanks for that. Your dogs look great :thumbsup:

Another breed definitely to ad to our short list to research a lot further. :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed the website - it was fun putting it together. I'm in Vic too - happy for you to meet my dogs. I'm out and about at agility trials quite a bit too.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Glad you enjoyed the website - it was fun putting it together. I'm in Vic too - happy for you to meet my dogs. I'm out and about at agility trials quite a bit too.

Thanks The Spotted Devil :)

It would be great to catch up some time to meet you and your dogs chat further about ESS's :thumbsup:

Hi Sheridan

Thanks re the offer to help out. :thumbsup:

I just noticed my profile says I am from Queensland though, where you are listed.

I just fixed it. I am actually from Victoria not Queensland.

Don't know when that changed :confused:

Qld is the default setting.

I'll have a chat to some of the Vic wheaten folks. :)

Thanks Sheridan, that would be great :thumbsup:

I have another breed of interest in my short list - what do people know about Brittany's?

They sound pretty good :)

We have two Brittanys. They are the smaller more spanielly looking French type, which is the much more common type in New Zealand. We use them for hunting, field trials, agility and rally obedience. They are great house pets as they are really happy to hang out with you at home, doesn't matter if you aren't doing much. Having said that ours, and others we know, don't like being left alone. If the weather is bad or you don't feel like a walk today, they don't mind as long as they get to be with you. But when you take them out they have PLENTY of go.

They are a nice sized breed. Mine are both girls (mother and daughter) and weigh about 14kg. They make great snuggly lap dogs. They like their creature comforts and appreciate sharing the couch with you. They are very loyal and devoted to their family and friends but the ones I know are reserved around strangers. Not unfriendly and will happily be patted and made a fuss of by new people, but they aren't your typical "everyone is my bestest buddy" gundog. I also have 2 border collies. They are both VERY bright breeds but the Border Collies are better at being told what to do and the Brittanys are better at problem solving. I say to people that the main difference between my 2 breeds is "because I told you so" is a perfectly acceptable answer to a Border Collie :laugh:

They have a nice short soft coat. Possibly they shed but nothing like my collies do.

These guys look interesting.

http://lowensque.webs.com/about-the-lowchen

Lowchen are wonderful pets! Long haired but non shedding because it is a single coat. They don't need to be kept in a lion trim if that's not your fancy and with regular grooming are very easy to care for.

Funny, portable, very affectionate. HEAPS of fun!! A big dog in a small body. Some inherited eye conditions and some can be prone to slipping patellas but that isn't just hereditary, it can be environmental.

Most get on great with other breeds of dog.

This is my baby "monstering" the nasty big Bull Terrier (who you can see is clearly smiling at the camera with a glint in her eye! :laugh: ).

post-864-0-44428500-1473322645_thumb.jpg

I have another breed of interest in my short list - what do people know about Brittany's?

They sound pretty good :)

We have two Brittanys. They are the smaller more spanielly looking French type, which is the much more common type in New Zealand. We use them for hunting, field trials, agility and rally obedience. They are great house pets as they are really happy to hang out with you at home, doesn't matter if you aren't doing much. Having said that ours, and others we know, don't like being left alone. If the weather is bad or you don't feel like a walk today, they don't mind as long as they get to be with you. But when you take them out they have PLENTY of go.

They are a nice sized breed. Mine are both girls (mother and daughter) and weigh about 14kg. They make great snuggly lap dogs. They like their creature comforts and appreciate sharing the couch with you. They are very loyal and devoted to their family and friends but the ones I know are reserved around strangers. Not unfriendly and will happily be patted and made a fuss of by new people, but they aren't your typical "everyone is my bestest buddy" gundog. I also have 2 border collies. They are both VERY bright breeds but the Border Collies are better at being told what to do and the Brittanys are better at problem solving. I say to people that the main difference between my 2 breeds is "because I told you so" is a perfectly acceptable answer to a Border Collie :laugh:

They have a nice short soft coat. Possibly they shed but nothing like my collies do.

Thanks a lot CaseyKay for your info on the Brittany :thumbsup:

Its really appreciated. Have contacted a Brittany breeder so hopefully we can go have a chat and meet her dogs and get some first hand experience. They really appeal to us from what we have learned so far. :)

These guys look interesting.

http://lowensque.webs.com/about-the-lowchen

Lowchen are wonderful pets! Long haired but non shedding because it is a single coat. They don't need to be kept in a lion trim if that's not your fancy and with regular grooming are very easy to care for.

Funny, portable, very affectionate. HEAPS of fun!! A big dog in a small body. Some inherited eye conditions and some can be prone to slipping patellas but that isn't just hereditary, it can be environmental.

Most get on great with other breeds of dog.

This is my baby "monstering" the nasty big Bull Terrier (who you can see is clearly smiling at the camera with a glint in her eye! :laugh: ).

post-864-0-44428500-1473322645_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ellz and Purdie for your info on the Lowchen - will look into them also :)

They are both VERY bright breeds but the Border Collies are better at being told what to do and the Brittanys are better at problem solving. I say to people that the main difference between my 2 breeds is "because I told you so" is a perfectly acceptable answer to a Border Collie :laugh:

Ha ha - that is priceless. Gave me a good laugh. :laugh:

Went and visited a Brittany breeder today - we were most impressed with the breed. :)

Lovely dogs, with beautiful temperaments :thumbsup:

Sorry, I meant to add earlier. Brittanys are nice. I think some also call them the "sane Spaniel". If you're after a somewhat taller dog then they will certainly fit your requirements. Be warned though, they DO shed!!

Went and visited a Brittany breeder today - we were most impressed with the breed. :)

Lovely dogs, with beautiful temperaments :thumbsup:

Sorry, I meant to add earlier. Brittanys are nice. I think some also call them the "sane Spaniel". If you're after a somewhat taller dog then they will certainly fit your requirements. Be warned though, they DO shed!!

Yes we realise they do shed ellz :)

We said at the start looking for easy to maintain and not too much shedding.

Their coat seems very easy to manage though. Single coated, not massively long, seasonal shedder.

They seem to tick a lot of our boxes so far for us. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have made our decision on our future companion.

We are now on the waiting list for a Brittany puppy.

Super excited!!

Can't wait for our precious pup to arrive. Hopefully he will born in November :cheer:

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions - really appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by staffy13

Id second the lowchen Suggestion. Theyre amazing little dogs we have 3 of them at present and breed and show them so feel free to pm me on specific questions.

They are realativy low maintenance if kept short, very intelligent, non shedding and just all round lovely family dogs.

ETA: LOL my computer was stuffing up. Congrats on the new puppy!!

Edited by smisch

• 1 month later...