Spitting In Dogs Mouths

Sorry i dont have a pure breed but i saw a bit about spitting in your dogs mouth for training im 45 and i remember an old cocky telling me in my early teens that you spit once for obedience twice for loyalty and three times for your dog to follow you to the ends of the earth I've only ever spat twice and have had the most obedient and loyal dogs that I can ask for i know mates that have done it three times and they're dogs are loyal and obedient but there is no way they can contain them in the yard some even climb trees to get over 6-7 foot fences males always first females always second for spitting the dog will follow the alpha male for protection the alhpa female for affection or family our staffy bully crosses have never failed myself or my wife we aren't harsh with them and we don't need to punish them its worth a shot

- it's like holding the dog's nose in your armpit .

the basis is that the dog gets to be close to the owner ..and I guess someone who cares to do anything like this will care for their dog anyhow - and this will reflect in their dog's behaviour .

being a pack member has benefits :)

Old cockies tend to cull (kill) the dogs they can't train.

Doesn't mean the dog was no good - it just means the Old cockie wasn't a good enough trainer.

I've heard a story from a source I trust about how a "top" agility competitor would get dogs she couldn't train PTS - ie if she competed with them and didn't do any good - then they'd be doomed dogs. Another competitor talked her into giving the latest doomed dog up - and then the new owner proceeded to beat the pants off the old owner with the same (untrainable?) dog.

I avoid spitting at my dog. We both fart at each other - does that count?

LOL at that image. I don't do kisses on mouths anyway cause I see where they've been. But there r. A few times in a rumble the chihuahua nearly manages together me!

I dont kiss on the mouth either. Dont really let dogs lick me at all. But my last girl was a shocker for sneaking a lick. Maybe she had some chi in her

To all you guys who disbelieve persephone never heard of the armpit thing the spotted devil soft working dogs? Kavik never heard of spitting food ! Can you feed your dogs from your mouth ? Papllon kisses alpha male and female dominance is real just watch any david attenborough show roova give yourself distance scottsmum im not kissing my dog and its only once in its lifetime not regularly skip its a rat so shoosh how can it wrestle (sorry) and mrs rusty bucket the old bloke had 20+ dogs working on his farm young and old not one bullet doesn't your trusted source talk about grey hound racing sounds like it to me pts post track side

Oh and yes farting at each other does work if your into that sort of thing dont discount anything unless you have tried it people and dont discredit anyone you dont know because you might get a response you might not like i would really like to correspond with you guys on a regular basis but i won't take crap

To know it worked you would have to spit in the dogs mouth and do no further training at that point. If you magically had the best dog ever then it worked. If your dog is badly behaved, it didn't.

You can't say spitting works when you are also offering training afterwards. I would imagine if human spit was so magical the world would know about it by now, or we'd be using it on kids too :)

i would really like to correspond with you guys on a regular basis but i won't take crap

We're not going to agree with everything you (or anyone else) posts.

If that was the case - we'd all be blowing smoke up your ar$e - and that would be crap.

I reckon I could share food / feed my dog from my mouth. I almost do - ie if I find something chewy in my food I don't want to eat - the dog gets it (eventually).

But I'm not interested tongue kisses with my dog - too many germ phobes (medical practicioners) in my ancestry. Tho I've probably got less change of getting a disease from my dog than another human.

My trusted source has no info on the Australian Greyhound racing people. That's a whole nother problem. What I do think is that we should not punish everyone for the bad behaviour of a few - not farmers, greyhound owners, dog breeders, agility trainers... The idea that the whole sport should be shut down because a few are atrocious or even a lot - smacks of the work of PETA - and they won't say how many healthy pets they PTS every year. They want us all to be vegan with no pets. The ultimate result of that will be no animals on the planet other than humans.

To all you guys who disbelieve persephone never heard of the armpit thing the spotted devil soft working dogs? Kavik never heard of spitting food ! Can you feed your dogs from your mouth ? Papllon kisses alpha male and female dominance is real just watch any david attenborough show roova give yourself distance scottsmum im not kissing my dog and its only once in its lifetime not regularly skip its a rat so shoosh how can it wrestle (sorry) and mrs rusty bucket the old bloke had 20+ dogs working on his farm young and old not one bullet doesn't your trusted source talk about grey hound racing sounds like it to me pts post track side

When I tried the food spitting, I used human food obviously (cheese and cocktail frankfurts and cabanossi). Had to teach him to catch it! I got the idea from a Leerburg video, I've been looking but can't remember what it was called.

I wouldn't do it now, I can think of lots of other ways I would teach the behaviour, but at the time I thought it was worth a try.

Found a video! Don't be too critical, it was a looooong time ago! Diesel is now 12 1/2 years old!

I recall Martin McKenna the dog whisperer putting his finger in his mouth then rubbing the finger inside the mouth of anxious dogs to calm them down. Well I think that was the purpose. A bit like when you see one dog licking another dogs mouth to calm them down. Never heard of spitting in it though and never seen a dog spit in another dog's mouth either so I'm not sure of the purpose or how someone even decided it was a good idea!

A bit like when you see one dog licking another dogs mouth to calm them down.

A puppy will lick an adult dog's mouth - as a "gimme food" thing or to indicate "pleased to see you" greeting or to show submission/greeting.

I've not seen the mother dog lick the puppy's mouth - but more lick the whole puppy - in much the same movements as we pat a dog. long strokes from head to tail. Which usually does a good job of calming a dog, also ear strokes.

Haven't seem drooly dog mums in action (eg blood hound or dogue de bordeaux) - maybe they spit in their puppies' mouths more?