Camping With Dogs

mowgliandme

where did you get your tie out from? :) I have been looking for a long line as well but my local pet stores dont seem to stock them, so any recommendations for those too would be great! :)

TSD I think we have the opposite personality pups!

She sleeps snuggled next to me in the tent in my sleeping bag (and tries to sleep in a lot more camping because at home she sleeps in a crate next to my bed) and is more of a lazing around next to people dog, so far the longest walk she's had has been about 20 minutes and she was ready to snooze for a few hours after that

So my hikes are thoroughly limited for a while :( at least until shes a bit older...last one I carried her half way, but shes only 4 months and i was told to only do 5 minutes walking per month of age, not sure if thats a good rule to go by? but seems to tire her out enough!

Try big W for your tie out

Or

http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/dog-tethering

I have one of the red double ended clip things. Theyre very versatile.

my bestfriends and petbarn both carry them!

I've also seen them at my pet warehouse and the "pet and aquarium warehouse". Those discount places. They're usually down near the seatbelts, muzzles etc. i can grab you one and leave it with chris if you'd like? or carry it around at class. actually chris might have some, check in with him or put a request?

For long lines I go with k9pro. I really like the syn tek ones and they're also great for obedience. Horse lines I find too heavy especially when wet and I only use my light Bunnings chain if I expect to have her out of sight for a bit.

you could start with small day trips where you set up camp but don't explore far. somewhere scenic so lots of sniffing but not lots of walking!

and don't forget to keep up your training :) even when camping we were doing out homework. :laugh: :laugh: 4 mmonths now, she must be getting so big!

thistle is an oddly considerate bedpartner when camping. at home she's a shocker so sleeps in her own bed. pointy elbows, cold nose, always moving... :mad:rofl::mad

When I bought my tent I made sure it was big enough for me, my gear and at least 2 big dogs ???? You never know!

Shame your place is flooded out :( where were you going? I can suggest some local places if you want. They'll all be a little wet and squishy right now but hopefully not all flooded.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Thanks :) i have a my pet warehouse near me, will check out there! i was looking near the leashes and they only ever seemed to have the less than 2m ones (i hadn't actually looked for tie outs just yet just long leads) but knowing me i probably walked past them anyways...

Thank you for the offer Thistle you are too kind! <3 but i'll go check them out today~

We were going to lake elizabeth campsite near the otways with a group of 30 or so people (who are now looking for a lodge somewhere on super short notice)

Camping suggestions would be great! Where do you go? I have taken her to tooronga falls (not much walking available there anyways) and to lots of holiday houses and in general she is a very chill puppy, not really fussed by location changes (but I like to go away most weekends and she loves it too)

She has slept on my bed twice at home and both times i woke up to her chewing my hair! >:( not impressed! this has for some reason never happened anywhere else

The going away on weekends and getting to class are not getting along great though, we are planning to be there next weekend (25th) after a long absence

She has doubled since i got her and is now 5.5kg!

Edited by mowgliandme

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendation theojess1 and Thistle the dog :)

I learnt the hard way just how muddy soft toys get when camping! So have stocked up on more "outdoorsy toys" for those situations!

We got the tie out stake - looking forward to trying it out soon :)

Edited by mowgliandme