Shocked And Shaken

akristin

Just needed somewhere to vent about this afternoon's jog/walk with my lab Marley.

I've been working on her reactive attitude towards passing dogs when we go out and about (bought her a backpack so she can focus on a job). She's been doing so well this past couple of weeks getting into the zone of walking and ignoring other dogs, it's been such a great investment getting the bag!

However, today it felt like it was a little bit of a drawback... we were walking towards our local park when I spotted an offleash dog in it's front yard. The owner was outside and perhaps didn't realise it's dog got out? As soon as I saw this dog we were already halfway across the road. Still walking, I looked back to see it's head high up and tail pointing straight up in the air bolting toward us. We were almost on the other side of the road when it had bolted straight onto Marley's back as it was growling and foaming at the mouth.

The owner managed to recall his dog from his house, then went straight inside not even asking us if we were okay!

Thankfully it didn't get ugly - she didn't even try to defend herself. I'm scared that this encounter will set us back a lot.

I was shaking and frankly, I still am whilst typing this.

Next investment is probably going into a massive stick/staff now!

Ugh, so scary! There's nothing worse than encountering an unfriendly off lead dog when you're walking.

Probably a good thing that Marley didn't fight back otherwise things may have escalated further. It's totally natural to be shaky (and angry!) about it, the adrenaline really gets pumping in those situations.

Try not to worry too much about it setting you back, there is nothing you can do about it now except to move forward, avoid walking past that house from now and and try and remain relaxed next time so Marley doesn't pick up on your tension. I'd say get back out tomorrow (as long as Marley seems her usual self) and do a short walk ending on a good note if you can, so both of you feel a bit more relaxed the next time.

:hug:

If you remember the house and street etc, I would report the incident with the council.

They may at least pay a visit and put the wind up her about her dog and keeping it contained.

As for what happened, try not to focus on it, onwards and upwards, do not change anything you are doing, dust yourself off and get right back to your job, which is to keep progressing with your dog.

Unfortunately we cannot control every aspect of what happens out in the world, but you can try not to let it get on top of you, regroup, now you know there is a problem dog and where it lives, you are now armed with that knowledge and where to be wary and cross well beforehand to minimise the risks.

I know the issues you are facing, I have my own reactive bitch with other dogs (Rotty) I am constantly watching and checking and keeping tabs on our environment, it is challenging, it is exhausting at times, but I do my best with it, and she is improving all the time.

Good luck with it all.

:grouphug::hug: :hug:

That's a horrible shock! I would report them to the council, hopefully they'll kick the owner's ass into gear. Walks are exhausting watching out for irresponsible owners. I very rarely walk locally, too many offlead angry dogs.

So I walk at weird hours to avoid them all or drive off to other locations where a better line of sight...

It is hard and stressful :'( have a good breather :heart:

Awful, I've had it happen myself and I always end up shaky and furious as well.

Report it to your council. They'll go out and speak to them and if it happens again in the future or your dog is hurt by this dog you've got the previous incident on record already.

Thank you for all your kind suggestions. We will definitely be walking again this afternoon but entering our park on the other side even if it's a longer walk.

I totally agree - it gets so tiring, constantly looking out for a possible threat or an obstacle to avoid whilst out. Yesterday's walk was not our usual route, will probably stick to our normal path for a while!

I don't recall the number of the house but I've gone on google maps to find it. Will report to the council as it may not end well for another dog that tries to fight back. Thank you all again!

Very similar thing happened to me & my 2 shelties. I was walking them on leads & we went past a house where the front gate was wide open. A blue heeler came barrelling thro' the gate, straight at my shelties. I automatically put my arm protectively in front of my shelties... & the dog ran straight into it, and I got the bite that he meant for the shelties.

If a dog could look embarrassed, that blue heeler did. He turned & bounded back inside. The owner was in the front garden & with blood running down my arm, I said 'Your dog should be contained. He's bitten me!'. She ignored me, turned & went inside.

When I got home.... after having a tetanus injection... I phoned the council.

The ranger was great. I said I didn't want anything bad to happen to the blue heeler.... he hadn't meant to bite a human. I'd put my arm in front of a bite meant for my dogs. It was the owner who was at fault for leaving a gate wide open. He thought that was funny... first person, he said, who got bitten who stuck up for the dog. He said it was rotten behaviour by the owner to turn away after her dog had bitten someone. So, he said, he'd go call on her to let her know it was a serious problem she'd caused.

I would feel the same :(

I am so over people letting their dogs off leash where they are not allowed (even if they're friendly), or when they have no recall from distractions or are aggressive/territorial at all

There should be some kind of minimum knowledge of dog ownership responsibilities and rules before people are just allowed to get one

Just yesterday at the pet store, a lady was actually laughing that her dog was going to "get snappy with my little one" and letting her nutty dog approach mine at full pelt and I had to quickly swoop her out of there.

When walking my dogs a Cane Corso and a Ridgeback I carry a piece of electrical conduit. Even though the Corso can seriously look after herself she is extremely calm and lets me stand between them and the approaching dog/dogs and I scare them off with a few swipes with the conduit which doesn't do any harm to the dog. I would rather me get bitten than my dogs get into a fight. Its a problem out my way with idiots having there dogs off lead.

Same happened to me years ago. Reported to the council with a description of the dog, the address and what happened during the incident. Council visited and I got a call from the Ranger later saying he was fining the owners with every fine he could think of as they were rude to him, he was just going around to issue a warning lol.

mita, your experience sounds like such a horrible situation to be in! Thanks for sharing your stories everyone - your experiences are so relatable.

There should be some regulation or some set rules/basic instructions handed to new pet owners i.e not letting dogs offleash in non-offleash areas! The "my dog's friendly" agenda drives me insane now! (I used to be that person until I saw the light & started researching etiquette and dog forums :o )

Small update - we ended up not going for an extended walk, she will do a little jump and turn around so quick we get tangled with the lead and my legs when she hears dogs in the neighbourhood bark through fences or front yards now. Back to square 1 :(

Someone sent me an article from a central qld newspaper, with story of how a heavily pregnant young woman was walking her little tibbie. She tried to avoid 2 dogs roaming loose but they went for her tibbie that she desperately tried to protect. Real horror was likely prevented when an older couple driving by, intervened to help her.

http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/pregnant-emma-is-scared-to-walk-alone-after-dog-at/443484/

I heard of a tip to take a pop-up umbrella with you...one that really goes up fast with a swoosh. The noise can startle an attacking dog in such a situation & the open umbrella provides some shield.

Edited by mita

Someone sent me an article from a central qld newspaper, with story of how a heavily pregnant young woman was walking her little tibbie. She tried to avoid 2 dogs roaming loose but they went for her tibbie that she desperately tried to protect. Real horror was likely prevented when an older couple driving by, intervened to help her.

http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/pregnant-emma-is-scared-to-walk-alone-after-dog-at/443484/

I heard of a tip to take a pop-up umbrella with you...one that really goes up fast with a swoosh. The noise can startle an attacking dog in such a situation & the open umbrella provides some shield.

As instructors...when we have beginner classes in agility, we carry a golf umbrella...never had to use it yet, thank goodness.

As instructors...when we have beginner classes in agility, we carry a golf umbrella...never had to use it yet, thank goodness.

Thank you for that. I just went & checked our golf umbrella. And its pop-up button worked a treat, went up really fast with a Whoosh. Sure would offer plenty of shield.

:thanks: