Over-Run By Facebook Experts!

alpha bet

I am on a few Facebook sites for Breeding and often amazed at some of the questions raised.... Personally have to say I am very worried about the number of online experts who are spreading the wrong information to the public and potential breeders... Consider the following question recently raised.....

Hi guys

Call me over protective. But does anyone else Not walk their pregnant bitches in fear that they can pick up something??

Was so disappointed to see that most of the replies were agreeing with the poster that they would never allow their pregnant bitches to be out in public as there is such a risk of infection... Sheese what a load of CRAP.... we know that dogs need to get exercise we know that a pregnant bitch is just pregnant - not sick. What kind of information are we sending out to future breeders, many of those posting may have little if any real experience and yet places like Facebook allow the opportunity to spill their often limited ideas on correct or incorrect methods.

We have had enough research now coming forward to tell us that with children we should be careful not to become to clinical in cleaning play spaces as this prevents kids developing a strong immune system - even one of the head doctors at the Children's Hospital even recommends families get a dog and get the kids out in the yard to play in the dirt... the same applies with our dogs be they pups, adult males or even pregnant bitches.

Experience is usually gained by hanging out with more experienced breeders - not by seeking answers from whoever online.... thoughts!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Late post but...

Ther is no way I would not walk my pregnant bitches. You need to maintain muscle tone during pregnancy and, exercising the bitch will also help tone the uterus as she will naturally hold the abdomen up while walking. Hell, I have had seven week pregnant bitches chasing cockatoos and galahs off an open oval. That bitch in particular never had whelming problems.

Regards,

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I came across a lady on FB asking questions regarding her overweight Pom x. People jumped in giving recommendations on how much to feed her Pom to assist in reducing the weight. Unfortunately all were giving her amounts based on an average pom weight of 2 KG. 

I messaged  the owner and discovered her Pom was recommended to drop to 7 KG by her vet. Meaning the Pom wasn't as most advisers had predicted. This poor lady was ready to feed her baby 40 grams of raw feed daily. 

There was no attempt by anyone other than myself to dig deeper.

• Like 1