Tendonitis

twopuppas

Hi guys,

My one year old has had tendonitis for a few months now. It was only just diagnosed recently, so we are starting the proper management for it. She is currently having 1x steroid tablet per week (NSAIDs didn't help), and is being crate rested.

She walks about 80%-90% normally, but when she sits or stands, it's noticeable that she isn't putting much pressure on her sore leg.

Has anyone had a dog with tendonitis that can share their story? Does she have much of a chance of going back to normal gait after weaning her off the tablets (which we will do slowly)?

Are you talking about a bicep tendonitis - is it a front leg lameness? One of mine I resorted to having PRP injections as we had on-going lameness for 12 months. It would improve and then all of a sudden she was super lame again. Resolved once we did the PRP and then rehabbed as though she had joint surgery.

You need to be seeing a rehab professional. Depending on how long it has been happening the treatment varies greatly. Healing occurs when you strategically stress the tendon so often crate rest exacerbates the problem if you are not doing some therapeutic exercise too.

You need to be seeing a rehab professional. Depending on how long it has been happening the treatment varies greatly. Healing occurs when you strategically stress the tendon so often crate rest exacerbates the problem if you are not doing some therapeutic exercise too.

Hi Jumabaar,

Is there anyone/place you can recommend? I know there's a few places that seem good that offer physiotherapy, but I'm still not 100% what they actually do in the consult as I've never dealt with anything like this before either for myself or my dog.

Hi twopuppas. Jumabaar is a bit busy today, but in the meantime .. not sure where you are in Vic, but it might be worth making an enquiry with these people Aquapaws who are in Southeast Melbourne. I would think they would be happy to answer some questions you might have about options.

If it were my dog, I would be getting on to it as soon as possible. Good luck.

Hi twopuppas. Jumabaar is a bit busy today, but in the meantime .. not sure where you are in Vic, but it might be worth making an enquiry with these people Aquapaws who are in Southeast Melbourne. I would think they would be happy to answer some questions you might have about options.

Thank you very much Tassie! I've enquired to both Aquapaws/Dogs in Motion to hopefully start some physiotherapy with either one.

Thank you very much Tassie! I've enquired to both Aquapaws/Dogs in Motion to hopefully start some physiotherapy with either one.

You're welcome. Hope you get some good results.