For Those Crate Their Dogs At Night - Do You Provide Water

kamuzz

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put water in the crate if your dog is shut in at night?

• Yes
    • No

No. I'd rather my dog be a bit thirsty that be busting for the toilet or have to eliminate in their bed.

When my dogs are crated over night (which is usually only until around 12 months of age or when I can trust them not to chew the house LOL) they are where I can hear them and I am a light sleeper. If they get hot or need to go out, I get up and empty them and let them have a little drink. This is on rare occasions only as I ensure the house is cool and they are well hydrated and emptied when they go to bed.

When the house gets too warm over night, they go out into the dog room, which is the garage, it's cooler at night because of the sun direction.

If staying over night in the float outside accommodation when away showing/trialling I do leave water as it can be warm and new surroundings can cause them to sleep a little less deeply and get thirsty.

Mine sleep beside the bed overnight and don't get up to drink at all, so as long as it isn't a long night, or hot,I'd say it's ok not to. When my westie was a bub he'd be in a small crate next to the bed, again no water. He would stir and I'd take him out to the toilet, but he wouldn't go for a drink when he came in. Even now he's 16 months, he'll bark to go to the toilet in the night, go out, then come back straight to bed.

As an aside, his way of asking to go out is really cute - a single bark or growl. Just one. Repeated after a short break if I haven't woken up.

Depends where you are? :)

In our house in Melbourne which is fairly cool throughout the year I dont think its super necessary (none of our dogs have ever woken up in the night to drink water previously when they have slept on the bed either, has yours?)

but when I am camping I have water available in the tent as it can get hot in summer in the morning

Edited by mowgliandme

I hardly ever crate mine overnight, but when I do, yes I provide water. I find she rarely drinks it anyway, too busy snoring LOL.

That being said OH does get up super early for morning shift work and lets her out to pee then anyway so it's not like she's busting to pee for super long hours throughout the night. I go to bed pretty late also.

Nope, I never do. They only get crated overnight during the hotter parts of summer coz it's far too hot in the bedroom for us and 5 dogs.

They don't have access to water in the bedroom either. If I've got a sick dog, or one recovering from surgery etc, I will give them access to water, but I'll usually confine them to the bathroom instead of crate them, that way it's easier for me to clean if they do defecate in there.

Dozer doesn't get water in his crate, he has pretty much free access to water all day.

In summer if it's really hot I'll set up a water station inside on the tiles for night time, but for the most part he doesn't drink much at all after his dinner and doesn't need a pee after 6pm and holds on until the morning without complaint.

Mine are crated at night when we're staying in dog friendly accommodation .. usually for about 6 or 7 hours, so no water in crate. If I have to leave them in their crates in the car overnight .. as for example when driving across the Nullarbor, or the Bass Strait ferry crossing ... then yes, they have water in their crates.

When my guys are allowed to sleep inside in crates I don't provide water but they have access to it right up until we go to bed. I think even if I did provide water they'd be far too busy sleeping to drink anyway.

My dogs completely shut down overnight that I can't even make them stir, so I don't worry about thirst.