Do You Restrain/contain Your Dog If You Have A Stranger Entering Your

Pailin

Oh yes, forget dogs for a moment, I also lock up the cats. After one tradesman found Flansy living in his tool box, and another poor guy... well, let's just say you should not combine an inquisitive cat(Flansy again) who likes to put his paws in small dark gaps and an electrician who, when crouching down has quite a plumbers crack showing.... it was awkward for all of us... :o

I secure my dog - with tradies I don't know. And with tradies I do know depending what they're doing.

And always locked in the house when the lawn mowing man is here. He winds her up something special and she thinks he's a toy just for her. She's nipped him (no blood or scratch but pinched good). And I don't think it's worth the risk.

She's had the opportunity to eat a couple of gas meter readers... the first one - she was pretty young and just barked at him all the way to the meter and back.

The second one - I managed to catch her before he got through the second gate...

And I locked her up and scolded the hell out of him. He said I'll put a note - I said WHY DON'T YOU READ THE NOTE THAT'S ALREADY THERE.

And I locked the gate for the next two reads. But the latest guy has always knocked first - phew.

Someone today - left a boot print in a fresh turd. Do not know who that was. but Karma. Not many turds out there usually but they found the only one on the lawn. We were out.

I separate them from wherever the tradie is working - so I might put them inside, outside, in crates, behind a baby gate etc. Tradies can be really bad with doors and gates. Most of the guys really want to meet them and I've found the easiest way to do it (and calm the barking) is introduce the dogs one by one. They feed off each other and Zig is the quickest to settle - so once he's had a meet and greet, Em comes out and then Ginny.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Yes, my dogs are always crated when visitors arrive. They don't bark or carry on and accept it's ok if I bring someone in the house and have put them in their crates. If I had a knock on the door I wasn't expecting I might bring one of the girls with me to see who it was and that's a signal to them that I wasn't expecting someone.

Yes, my dogs are always crated when visitors arrive. They don't bark or carry on and accept it's ok if I bring someone in the house and have put them in their crates. If I had a knock on the door I wasn't expecting I might bring one of the girls with me to see who it was and that's a signal to them that I wasn't expecting someone.

And if Wiz met me at the door & I was up yo no good I'd probably poo my pants ;)

Yes, our two are always crated inside when visitors come. We do it so we can control the environment for both the dogs and our visitors. One of our labs is an over friendly boofer that is all over everyone like a rash and the other is anxious about strangers. If our visitors are okay to having the dogs let out of their crates, we then do it separately so we can manage each dog's weakness; our aim is always for the dogs to have low value for visitors so we don't encourage meet and greets but do reinforce quietly sitting while visitors are present. The only time we do a meet and greet is with our anxious girl; when she's calm we allow her to approach a visitor's outstretched open palm. Our visitors are asked not to pat her, but let her control the level of interaction. She may just sniff their hand and return to me or she may sniff around them or not approach them at all.

Yep same here - tradies working outside, westies are inside. Any tradies inside the house, they are outside or on lead with me. I really think they are more than likely to lick tradies to death or in Andy's case he'll head for the hills - but its still not worth the risk. I now only value the tradies but I value my dogs too much to risk an accident.