Crossing The Border! ( No, I'm Not) Query Please

persephone

I someone who has imported a dog from NSW to WA - no specific requirements - and her dog arrived very sick. But turned out dog had eaten a rock ($$$$ to remove), and was covered fleas and needed worming.

There was also that thing with the pet shop selling puppies from a NSW? puppy farm - that were arriving in poor health.

So while WA (and SA) are pretty strict about plants - I don't think they do anything about animals - unless there is a sort of national quarantine eg horse flu and hendra virus (which have been lifted - provided horses are vaccinated - but I don't know if anyone checks - never seen any signs to that effect when I'm crossing borders).

Hi Perse My experience was 2010 (driving across to Agility Nationals in Perth. No special entry requirements for dogs anywhere on the way (except coming back into Tasmania, where hydatid tapeworm worming is required).

At the border crossing into WA on the Eyre Highway, the Quarantine officer was very careful to warn about the risk of 1080 poisoning from aerial baiting .. her advice was keep dogs leashed at roadside stops so they didn't pick up a bait.

• 3 weeks later...

When we travelled to Perth for the agility nationals in 2010 the quarantine station checked over some of the dogs to make sure they didn't have grass seeds etc but weren't overly thorough and avoided the dogs that weren't comfortable with someone approaching the car. I have heard it is much more thorough for horses and livestock as they are more likely to have plant matter attached to them. I had a friend who travelled over many years ago as a pony act in a circus and they had an interesting experience getting the lion trailer through laugh.gif

We took copies of vaccination paperwork, worming treatments etc but none of that was required.