Purchased Dog But Previous Owner Wants Back?

Remidog

Help please! I have joined these forums to ask for advice from other dog lovers. We purchased a 1 year old GSD just yesterday from a man who was selling her due to moving to a house with a small yard, and not having the time to take her for walks. Previous to us purchasing her she was advertised online for a couple of weeks. The man brought her over to our house to see our backyard (we live rural so lots of space) and we paid for and picked her up from his house two days later (yesterday).

We haven't even had the dog 24 hours and now he says he's made a huge mistake and his daughters are devistated and want the dog back. I'm so torn as to what to do! We feel like the family should have put more thought into getting rid of the dog. She was advertised for a while before we got her, they gave us all of her paperwork etc so it seemed like they wanted her gone.

My husband and I have been looking for the perfect dog for a while now. We wanted a purebred GSD less than 2 years old but not a little puppy and have spoken with lots of breeders/seen other dogs and we wanted to wait for the right one. We are so torn as to if we should give her back or not (previous owners have offered us more money for her but it's not about that at all). I feel terrible that their children are upset, but on the other hand our 2.5 year old is already besotted with this dog. We had been promising her one for months and they bonded straight away. I just don't know what the right thing to do is here. We love her already, and we got the message that he wanted to take her back while we were on a family hike with our dog to a nearby waterfall. We feel like she fits in to our family so well and would be sad to see her go :( what to do! I need opinions please!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give her back personally. If it had been a month or so, I'd say no. But 24 hours? You haven't had that much time to bond with the dog. Sounds like the whole thing has become real to the original owners and theyve realised it was the wrong decision. They probably thought they "had" to get rid of her due to a small yard and other downsizing pressures.

It is up to you i guess. I'm not sure the legalities around this.

But I would give it back. Imagine how they must feel. You've had less than 24 hours. They have had a whole year. i am not sure I could keep a dog if they contacted me so soon.

You will find your dog. There are 21 older gsds currently looking for homes on this website. Surely you could meet some of those ?

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted a few breeders in WA to see if any have any dogs under 2. Legally we are fine to keep her if we decide to (my father is a lawyer) as we paid for her and there is no "cooling off period" with animals as there is with other contracts I've been told. It's just morally what to do!

I feel like there is no winners here. One family is upset they sold their dog, and we are upset because we were so excited to have finally found the perfect pet.

It is pretty sad all around and upsetting for all involved. I expect the other family didn't realise it was happening and how much they'd miss the dog until it's all happened. But they have gotten back to you so fast that I think it's all genuine regret.

There is a dog out there somewhere who will fit in with you, I've no doubt. But this one I think fits better elsewhere. itd be a bit like ripping off a bandaid for you I think. But your child is young and I'm sure would be excited to help you look again :)

Have you considered GSD rescues? Quite a few are there simply because their owners were unable to keep them. Even if none currently available, you could touch base so your their first thought when a young dog comes in.

And I'm sure lots of ppl on this forum would jump to help you hunt out a dog. It is awfully fun!

Edited by Thistle the dog

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted a few breeders in WA to see if any have any dogs under 2. Legally we are fine to keep her if we decide to (my father is a lawyer) as we paid for her and there is no "cooling off period" with animals as there is with other contracts I've been told. It's just morally what to do!

I feel like there is no winners here. One family is upset they sold their dog, and we are upset because we were so excited to have finally found the perfect pet.

What a dreadful situation. My aunt who is 73 has just lost her elderly dog. The day after Benny died, one of her neighbours offered her a 6 month old Maltese cross. This lady also owns a 4 year old poodle, but felt the young pup wasn't a proper fit. My aunt feels the dogs are fine, and the owner is a bit of a worrier. Since the offer, the other lady has been quite undecided as to whether she really wants the dog gone. My aunt has told her that it is too soon for her to take on another dog as she is still grieving, but she is also feeling that this may backfire and they ask for the dog back. She has decided to not get involved, as she is certain it won't end well for her. I wish people didn't go into these situations lightly, if you have decided to rehome your dog, surely some thought has gone into this prior.

I hope your family find the perfect solution and are happy with the outcome. Good luck. ????

Edited by JayGee

I'd probably give her back if I thought the previous owner was 100% genuine and was really going to be looking after her, I'd probably question him about what he will do with the dog (because he's moving to a smaller place and also won't have time to take the dog for walks) in regards to her exercise, if he can't manage to walk and look after the dog, then I'd be keeping her.

Have you considered GSD rescues? Quite a few are there simply because their owners were unable to keep them. Even if none currently available, you could touch base so your their first thought when a young dog comes in.

I have had a look but couldn't see any in WA? As I said above I have contacted a few breeders but no luck so far!

Have you spoken with these people?

https://www.petrescue.com.au/groups/10692

Also mark wellock - 0417 176 832

[email protected]

Does the GSD clubs rescue in WA apparently. Might be worth shooting through an email

Id follow this one too, they currently have some older gsds so might get younger ones. They also might know of rescues who have one - will need to ask

http://bfarescue.com.au

I hope you come to a decision quickly. The longer the wait the harder it will be for all of you :(

I’m pretty torn here. If the dog had been advertised online for a couple of weeks, it seems to me that they had plenty of time to absorb what they were doing. Of course, when they actually do that, the ramifications hit home.

I would be worried about returning a dog to a home where the people were unable to (presuming here) discuss all sides of the case.

When you collected the dog from the original owners, were any other family members there? Do you get any sort of sense of atmosphere as to whether the dog was happy, cared for, etc etc.

I’m pretty torn here. If the dog had been advertised online for a couple of weeks, it seems to me that they had plenty of time to absorb what they were doing. Of course, when they actually do that, the ramifications hit home.

I would be worried about returning a dog to a home where the people were unable to (presuming here) discuss all sides of the case.

When you collected the dog from the original owners, were any other family members there? Do you get any sort of sense of atmosphere as to whether the dog was happy, cared for, etc etc.

My husband picked her up from the house. He just said the backyard was quite small, more like a courtyard (we are a half acre). The man and partner were there when he collected the dog but my husband saw no children. When they came to see our house the man and woman came. The dog seems very well cared for. She came with kennel, toys, food etc and all paperwork. She is a lovely dog with a beautiful temperament. She definitely seems happy. They said the reasons for rehoming were that they wanted more space for her and a family who had more time for her.

I'm still so torn! They are going to visit us on Sunday and we will see from there. If they desperately want her back we will discuss with them then, but we are hoping that a few days will help them to see that she would have a great life with us. I wouldn't have even met the dog if I knew this would happen because we have fallen in love with her already :(

Its a tricky one, but both sides need to take the children out of the equation.

Yes, their kids might be upset but the dog will still have a tiny yard and no walks,not fair on a young GSD to make a call just to please the kids.

Same with your side, your child is young, a week down the track it might not even notice the dog, right now its a new thing to have around.

I wouldnt base my decision on how any of the kids feel, although it sounds harsh, who can give the dog the best outcome?

Legally, has the old owner signed transfer of owner papers?

My immediate reaction was give it back, but will they offload her agin a few months down the track when all the reasons they have now for rehoming her are still there?

, who can give the dog the best outcome?

Legally, has the old owner signed transfer of owner papers?

My immediate reaction was give it back, but will they offload her agin a few months down the track when all the reasons they have now for rehoming her are still there?

Thank you for the reply. In terms of the best outcome we obviously feel it's us. Mostly because we live on a large property and I am home all day with two little ones. We are also going to be homeschooling, so I know that for probably the next 8-10 years I won't be in the work force, so unless we are running errands, myself and children will be home. We are also an active family who go for hikes, river visits etc a lot. Having said that, the previous owners definitely loved and cared for her. She just didn't have the exercise she needed (on the large size!) she had all the toys, health checks etc that she needed though. And I could tell the owners genuinely cared for her.

There has been no papers signed, I didn't realise that was something that happened. We have all her vet paperwork, and the vet has been notified that she is wth is now. We also have microchip details to update with our details. And we have proof of payment for her. Not that I think it would be a legal issue. We would give her back before it got to that point for sure, and the previous owner said in his initial message that we can say no to giving her back but just that he had to ask.

In terms of offloading her again, this is what we were concerned about too. Because if she goes back to them we will be actively looking for another dog and would hate to find one, only to be told a month of so in the future that we can have this one back.

Sorry, but I'd return the dog.

Of course you are legally within your rights to keep the dog. Entirely your choice.

In situations such as this I always put myself in the other partys' shoes. I'd feel their emotional loss is greater than mine would be and it would be my empathy and care for the dog's emotions that would lead me to my decision of returning the dog.

Also what a great opportunity to do something for someone else. Such opportunities don't present themselves very often.

I feel there is an even better suited dog coming for you and you will really deserve it after doing such a good deed.

I think comparing yards etc is just trying to justify keeping her. Dogs don't need big yards. GSD aren't the self exercising type. Provided they are taken out daily and let inside the house, given plenty of mental and physical stimulation, their needs are met. Really, the yard is irrelevant.

It's definitely a touch situation.

You will decide the decision that feels right for you :) all the best

Edited by Starkehre

No real advice but we were rehomed a dog a couple years ago. The person who was rehoming him was ill at the time and couldn't look after him properly.

We went to great lengths to make sure she wouldn't regret her decision especially if got better in the future. We didn't actually take him for a couple of months and in that time we went to this persons place and she came to ours. We offered to foster him as an option. Anyway once we knew for sure she had thought about it for ages and knew she had choices if she had wanted to go down that path, we took him. She changed the microchip details over to us within a couple of days.

We are friends with her on fb and shes better now and she has mentioned a few times how she misses him badly but knew she had done the right thing. Least there were no children involved.

Its a hard thing on both parties ! Hope something is able to be worked out.

Ps in our situation there was no money exchanged. In fact she got him vet checked and vaccinated before she gave him to us :)

Edited by julesluvscavs

Of course you are legally within your rights to keep the dog. Entirely your choice.

In situations such as this I always put myself in the other partys' shoes. I'd feel their emotional loss is greater than mine would be and it would be my empathy and care for the dog's emotions that would lead me to my decision of returning the dog.

Also what a great opportunity to do something for someone else. Such opportunities don't present themselves very often.

I feel there is an even better suited dog coming for you and you will really deserve it after doing such a good deed.

I think comparing yards etc is just trying to justify keeping her. Dogs don't need big yards. GSD aren't the self exercising type. Provided they are taken out daily and let inside the house, given plenty of mental and physical stimulation, their needs are met. Really, the yard is irrelevant.

Thank you for the reply. We have all decided to take the weekend to think about it and will discuss on Sunday. I think we are trying to justify keeping her, because when we purchased her we thought we were buying our family pet for life. So we do want to keep her. But if it's in her best interests to go back then we understand that too. We all need to think it over further I think!

Thank you for the reply. We have all decided to take the weekend to think about it and will discuss on Sunday. I think we are trying to justify keeping her, because when we purchased her we thought we were buying our family pet for life. So we do want to keep her. But if it's in her best interests to go back then we understand that too. We all need to think it over further I think!

Really tough call either way. I'd probably return the dog but only because I would hate to feel like I was looking over my shoulder all the time, waiting for them to ask again. Hate to be suspicious but make sure you get a cash refund - no cheque or bank transfer.

Not an easy decision but I believe because they'd advertised the dog for weeks before you took her, they were committed to rehoming her for whatever reason that might be.

In a few months' time, or even a few weeks, they could make the same decision again. Whenever a dog is in a household of young children and adults, it is the adults who must take all responsibility for the dog's needs and be totally committed to caring and loving the dog. If the adults aren't feeling that way, this is when they will give the dog up. It can never be left up to the children to decide to keep the dog. And dogs should never be purchased because "the children want one".

In my experience - as a rescuer - people sometimes waver on their decision to give up the dog for reasons such as the children don't want the dog to go, they feel guilty but give it a bit more time and the adult will frequently decide again that the dog has to go, they didn't really want the dog but were persuaded to keep it against their wishes.