Weight Gain Tips

Bushriver

Looking for some tips to help one of my Labs keep a little more weight on. Strange problem for a lab, I know. She is a bit more highly strung than my other dogs and I think this is the reason she doesn't maintain weight as well as the others. She is already getting twice the amount of kibble that the others get. What are the best treats/snacks I can give her in between meal times that might help?

lamb flap , sardines in oil, eggs, ox cheek ,,minced raw chicken , a higher fat kibble, where she won't have to eat as much.

( too much kibble may be a cause of bloat :( )

Of course , this is all provided she has an all-clear from the vet , and has no health probs which may cause it :)

Thanks. She's healthy and feeling fine. I didn't want to feed her anymore kibble than she's getting so will just add in a few of these extras throughout the day and hopefully that will get her looking her best. We kill our own beef so there will be a heap of meaty bones etc coming their way soon.

Thanks. She's healthy and feeling fine. I didn't want to feed her anymore kibble than she's getting so will just add in a few of these extras throughout the day and hopefully that will get her looking her best. We kill our own beef so there will be a heap of meaty bones etc coming their way soon.

Even just small amounts of beef fat that you'd trim off would be good. Not too much though.

• 1 month later...

Hi there I'm a raw feeding advocate so all of my suggestions will not contain things like kibble or fillers. The reason your dog is not putting on weight seems to be a sign that possibly the kibble she is being fed is not as nutritionally dense as her body may require. If you follow these tips she should be putting on weight in no time. I have used these personally and can tell yout they help heaps.

Firstly I would incorporate brisket into her diet. Beef brisket and or lamb brisket which ever you can source has a high fat content and is a favourite of most dogs. I would be adding a lot more chicken to her diet, I. E chicken carcass, chicken wings and chicken feet these have great sources of glucosamine and calories. Organ meats such as beef heart are high in taurine and for some reason whenever I feed a high heart diet to my own dogs they put on lots of weight quickly which I don't necessarily like as mine need to be lean ????. Green tripe not from the butcher as it has been washed and bleached of its goodness no good for dogs you need to head to an abattoir or butcher for the good Stinky stuff haha. Tripe is full of omega compounds and fatty acids and really helps leaner dogs put on weight fast. Chicken mince mixed in with her kibble also. Fresh eggs shell and all as the shell contains many nutrients. Tuna or sardines as someone added previously. Lamb products as lamb tends to have a higher fat content. Hope this helps ????

When we got Monty he was a bit too skinny/bony and needed a bit of fattening so we used this recipe I found online. They're called satin balls. Feed as treats, supplements or a meal, mix up into meatballs and freeze. Kind of have to add a bit more or less wet/dry to get a good consistency)

- A few cups of kibble crushed to crumbs

- A tub of cream cheese

- Some raw mince (higher fat option)

- few tbs Peanut butter

(You can also add oats, gelatin and other things but I just skipped that)

Apart from what pers said the easiest option is to add chicken mince to the kibble, its full of fat.

I have the opposite problem and when i swapped out chicken mince for roo and cut out all chicken extras my girls weight dropped off.

Thanks everyone. I changed her kibble (complete raw feeding is not possible for us) and also added in a few of the suggested snacks. She is looking really well now and I'm happy with her condition. She also seems to have settled a lot within herself and is much calmer which is also helping with her not burning nervous energy.