High Value Training Treats

Guest crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

What does everyone use as high value training treats?

We are using: ham, devon, chicken loaf, cheese, roast chicken, roast meat, sausages of various type, cabanossi, bacon. (The last 2 only occasionally)

I'm going to semi dry some chicken liver for practicing recall. Maybe some mackerel too?

Anything I'm missing?

What's your dogs favourite?

When they were younger and learning in distracting environments I mainly used cheese and cabanossi or hot dogs.

Now that they are adults and we have the training and reward history I use GoodOs too!! They are way cheaper to buy than actual "dog treats" and I generally break each one up so they go a long way.

Whatever she prefers! We did the preference tests awhile ago, probably time to do it again since faves may change ;) Was reminded about that today.

But it ranges from kibble, devon, chicken, beef, wet dog food, chicken nuggets, potato chips, bread, peas, bacon coated kibble etc etc if she'll eat it and it's not too bad for her it gets used!

Current week of rewards has been kibble, potato chips, dried roo strips and duck wing (bonus reward!)

I mostly use small cubes of chicken breast or kangaroo sausage, but sometimes discounted meat or leftover steak or roast meat.

I also make salmon/tuna crack/fudge. I'll try to find the recipe but it's basically salmon or tuna mixed with flour (I process oats to make oat flour) and eggs then baked in the oven as a slab.

For Christmas last year we bought Malcolm a whole dried salmon head, which I then broke off into small pieces/shards. I used this for counter conditioning and desensitisation vs. other training. It was exceptionally high value but too messy for other work.

I tried using (skinned) BBQ chicken once but it made him much too thirsty.

ETA: not the exact recipe but it's basically this: https://www.dogsenseonline.com/dog-treat-recipe/

You can vary the amount of eggs and flour to make it softer or firmer.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Guest crazydoglady99

Thanks everyone! Thanks for the recipe PK. I'll give it a go.

Think I might blend up some fish & eggs, pipe them and dehydrate till semi firm too.

For those doing nose works (am still collecting boxes hahaha), what treat/food do you use?

Funny Jules! I don't even think she'd sit for them!

You might be surprised. Sort of like kids going nuts for junk food. I used raw meat once and my dogs were meh about it as they get that all the time.

The postie gives them out to the local dogs and mine were literally pulling me across the road to get to him! It is the only time they are norty and pull!

ziwipeak did go down well too.

Guest crazydoglady99

I have ordered mini goodo's!!

Made salmon fudge thingy. Ella says yay, new dog Buddy spat it out hahaha

Izzy is odd- her top level reward is kibble. The same kibble she usually has for dinner and breakky.

We tried chicken, chicken skin, cabanossi, Frankfurt, watermelon, liver, chicken hearts and a heap more random treats but nope still kibble.

Rewards are whatever your dog finds rewarding :p all the rest of my dogs are more traditional treat eaters.

I have used pieces of steamed pumpkin as rewards. :laugh:

Scottie says to tel Mal we'll post his over. Is it OK if it's been spat out on the floor before we pack it up and send it?

I am sure he would approve but AQIS may object. :laugh:

Speaking of spitting out food though, Malcolm spat out corvus' treats in training and gave a look of disgust. :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I have used pieces of steamed pumpkin as rewards. :laugh:

Scottie says to tel Mal we'll post his over. Is it OK if it's been spat out on the floor before we pack it up and send it?

I am sure he would approve but AQIS may object. :laugh:

Speaking of spitting out food though, Malcolm spat out corvus' treats in training and gave a look of disgust. :rofl: :rofl:

Lol. Mal... tell us what you really think!