Dog Wee.

Hi.

Noticing that 1 of my dog's is burning plants, shrubs and he's totally killed off a young cypress, over, say, 2 months, with his urine.

He's not unwell at all, eating and drinking as normal.

Pretty sure its just the 1 dog as hes the only one tall enough to spray the top of the bushes.

Any ideas?

I've heard of good results from things like this

Dog rocks http://www.pupndog.com.au/en-us/p_730.html

Dog Rocks is a mineralised rock which when placed in a dog’s water bowl changes the nitrogen levels of a dog’s urine, meaning it won’t stain grass. Many dog owners complain that their grass has been permanently stained or burned by their dog’s urine. There are a variety of products in the market that try to stop dogs urinating on grass, but Dog Rocks is the first that stops urine actually staining grass. The key element in Dog Rocks is zeolite, which neutralises nitrogen levels without altering the pH level of the water. This is important as a change in pH level can affect a dog’s health. In addition to lowering the nitrogen level, Dog Rocks have been proven to lower tin levels in the dog's water, while increasing boron, barium, manganese and stronium levels. Dogrocks has been extensively tested on a variety of puppies and mature dogs, and the product has proven to be safe and effective every time.

Apart from that, I can only say to encourage him not to pee on the plants anymore ! ;)

If the dog is a full male then that could be why he's burning the plants...i've been told that putting apple Cider Vinegar in the drinking water can help this issue...for both the boys killing plants and the girls killing circles of lawn ;)

He's been desexed for the past 3 months.

I have tried to stop him weeing where its not wanted , he'd wee on us if we sat still long enough - he doesnt care!

I've tried repellants but that dosnt bother him. It dosnt bother me too much about the plants, yet. I just wondered if it was common as im sure i've seen other posts about this.

Am checking out the dog rocks - thanks everyone. ;)

THere wouldn't be Dog Rocks if it wasn't common :) You can try helping the grass by fertilizing and watering it more, so it gets used to high levels of nitrogen. I'll probably give a go to the Rock as well... two dogs seem too much for our grass ;)

Last week it was raining, and Solly decided that peeing inside is more pleasant that going out on the wet grass! :eek:)) We had to take him out for 3 nights in a raw, twice a night, to revive the "good peeing" skils :D

Spray the plants with some lemon juice mixed in with water - they don't like the taste of this apparently. Not sure if the lemon juice affects the plants though, sorry - my dog ignores all my plants, bless.

Sometimes it can also take up to six months before their hormones neutralise after desexing.

My male still marks territory and has been desexed for 5 years. Sometimes they always do it.

Apple Cider Vinegar works with mine

Hmmm...my male would also pee on me if I stood still long enough....he will pee on a bed he has ripped up, every square inch of foam....a shoe of mine dragged into the yard (how dare it not smell like him) anything you prop against a wall, anytyhing you leave outside.....the only thing he doesnt pee on is his girl dog..just everytime she pees...he pees on back door, in dog bowls, on kennels, beds.....list is endless.

Our old dog's pee is killing our grass. Reduces it to dirt! We tried to get her to pee in a specific area but that didn't work. At a recent vet visit, we had it checked out, and the vet said she had high urea levels and gave us some tablets to put her on. She seemed completely healthy - eats, drinks, no worries. Perhaps a vet visit to test some urine to rule out anything? Sorry if you already have done this, but i glanced over the topic and didn't see it mentioned.

Good luck!

• 11 months later...

i can't see how dogs rocks will work in the drinking water, but if you want to try pure zeolite, then it might be worth a try...

if you have a fish pond and add zeolite it helps to absorb the ammonia waste from the fish, but if a dog water bowl has zeolite in it, and if the zeolite will dissolve, then any zeolite absorbed would be neutralised in the dogs body.....

i have met some people who tried it, but no effect...

Edited by larry

adding tomato ketchup to the dogs food can also help and tastes better then adding vinegar to the water.

I understood tomato's weren't good for a dog. :) Any idea what tomato sauce (which would have other additives in it) is likely to do to the dog's stomach/system?

The dogs don't seem to mind Apple Cidar Vinegar and it does have other good effects on the dog's health too. :)

ETA: You can add Apple Cidar Vinegar to the dog's food rather than the water.

See also THIS link to a current DOL thread on the same topic.

Edited by Erny

Erny

I understood tomato's weren't good for a dog. confused.gif Any idea what tomato sauce (which would have other additives in it) is likely to do to the dog's stomach/system?

I've read that the high salycilite (sp?) levels as well as SO2 found in Tomato sauce are considered unhealthy, perhaps not in tiny amounts.

There are a few interesting theories that have been around for a while: that when the PH in the body is too acidic this is the root of all disease, humans, dogs etc.

Cider Vinegar although an acid, has an acidity neutralising effect on the body and so promotes the right conditions for the body to heal itself.