Akitas In Small Backyards

westiemum

Hi All,

Just want to check with the DOL brains trust that I'm not being unfair to my tenants in saying 'no' to their request for an Akita...

The property is an inner city Adelaide duplex with a small well fenced backyard of just over 123 sqm (roughly 15m x 8 m) and double gates down the side.

The fact they are asking for such a big dog with such a small backyard suggests to me that they aren't dog savvy and I think its grossly unfair to the dog to put him/her in such a small backyard. Not to mention if the dog goes stir crazy it'll upset the strata units next door and the tenants in the other side of the duplex.

And in SA we are not allowed to ask for pet bonds (go figure).

So unless the DOL Brains trust says otherwise I'm going to say 'no'.

Thoughts?

TIA smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't want it in one of my properties either. We had a request from a couple who had a Husky and we refused the application on the grounds that there was only a smallish courtyard on the property where the dog could be outside and the couple were away at work during the day. On the other hand, we rented out the adjoining townhouse to a stay at home mum with two dachshunds because we felt that was more reasonable.

I wouldn't want it in one of my properties either. We had a request from a couple who had a Husky and we refused the application on the grounds that there was only a smallish courtyard on the property where the dog could be outside and the couple were away at work during the day. On the other hand, we rented out the adjoining townhouse to a stay at home mum with two dachshunds because we felt that was more reasonable.

Thanks two doggies - if they'd ask for a more suitable dog I might be more inclined - but I must admit not being able to tie them to make good/repairs has changed my thoughts on this. I'm very happy to consider suitable pets in these houses but not large dogs with unsavvy owners who are likely to turn into problems.

Edited by westiemum

I really don't think that the yard size matters if the owners are dog savvy and will take pains to provide the dog with daily enrichment and exercise suitable to the breed. That said, it is true that a bored Akita is a destructive Akita, so if you have any doubt of their commitment then you are well within your rights to refuse permission.

Hi All,

Just want to check with the DOL brains trust that I'm not being unfair to my tenants in saying 'no' to their request for an Akita...

The property is an inner city Adelaide duplex with a small well fenced backyard of just over 123 sqm (roughly 15m x 8 m) and double gates down the side.

The fact they are asking for such a big dog with such a small backyard suggests to me that they aren't dog savvy and I think its grossly unfair to the dog to put him/her in such a small backyard. Not to mention if the dog goes stir crazy it'll upset the strata units next door and the tenants in the other side of the duplex.

And in SA we are not allowed to ask for pet bonds (go figure).

So unless the DOL Brains trust says otherwise I'm going to say 'no'.

Thoughts?

TIA smile.gif

Definitely NO in that house/yard !!!

I have an Akita. The size of an apartment/courtyard probably wouldn't be an issue for them exercise wise. Akitas are fairly lazy low energy dogs. Kyojin has slept all day every day since he was a puppy. If you throw a ball for him, he'll fetch it twice and then go and have another snooze. He'll happily go for a walk, but also would be totally fine if he never went for another one in his life.

However, I would say they'd most definitely be unsuitable for that sort of living arrangement because they are a protective breed, which means that even though they don't bark just for the sake of it, any time a stranger walks past or something that is unfamiliar etc, there will be very LOUD barking that would definitely upset neighbours.

Depends on the owner and on the Akita. Some are low energy some are more, some owners are good with all the traits that Akitas have and some aren't.

I agree with Minxy in that there will be some very loud barking at times and that would be off putting for neighbours. Not only that but there will be inspections of the property too and while Akitas in general are good with people that their owners have said can come on the grounds they are protective and they like to think for themselves so I wouldn't be too keen to put the dog in that situation routinely.

I would be saying no as well, they very well could be good dog owners but the other factor is that your gut is saying no and that is probably the biggest deciding factor in my opinion.

--Lhok

Thank you minxy, karen and Lhok - was hoping some breed/ big dog people would pop along. I'm a small dog person and my guys are lounge lizards who spent their days at the same property snoring their heads off. There is only a medium size doggie door there as well which a full grown Akita wouldn't fit through - which means s/he's confined to a small back yard all day while owners are at work and the child is at school.

I genuinely don't want to be unfair to them, but until today I didn't know we aren't allowed to charge a pet bond in South Australia. And I've just remembered I knocked back an applicant with a kelpie cross for similar reasons back in June.

Thanks all - I'll get back to my property manager with a 'no'.

Edited by westiemum

Just for interest, I've just found this on a property management site... it appears that pet bonds are not legal anywhere except WA and then only for fumigation.

Gee makes it hard for Landlords to say 'yes'. I'd genuinely love to say 'yes' if I can have some protection for my property. Being allowed to have a pet CV/references and a pet bond would change the whole situation for me. And it would seem to be a very simple way of opening up more properties to pets. Shame.

Can I charge a pet bond?
ACT,NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC: No!

WA: yes, maximum of $260 pertenancy (ie not per pet) and must only be used for fumigation. More can berequested / negotiated in $1200pw+ places.

Edited by westiemum

Not a real estate agent but I would assume anything would be covered by the usual bond. Damage is damage whether done by an adult, a child or a dog...

The problem is that somtimes the bond doesn't cover the damage done by humans or animals and it leaves the landlord considerable out of pocket.

Not a real estate agent but I would assume anything would be covered by the usual bond. Damage is damage whether done by an adult, a child or a dog...

The problem is that somtimes the bond doesn't cover the damage done by humans or animals and it leaves the landlord considerable out of pocket.

True, in which case your landlords insurance kicks in. Still sucks though.

Anyway back to Akitas. With a shortage of pet friendly rentals I think tenants with dogs would most likely be super careful with the place, but suitability is important. I hope you find a great tenant soon, westiemum.

Any dog can do damage ,I don't see it as an issue .Many large breeds are very lazy and a lot depends on the owners .

If your going to judge breeds then I think you need to just say no to dogs because bigger does not mean more damage

I have a young active working breed who as long as he has access to inside when Im home is fine in small yards.

Its going to depend on the owner. I agree with show dog. Do they have references, a pet resume maybe?

Edited by LisaCC

Any dog can do damage ,I don't see it as an issue .Many large breeds are very lazy and a lot depends on the owners .

If your going to judge breeds then I think you need to just say no to dogs because bigger does not mean more damage

I don't think anyone is judging the breed. It was mentioned that the owners didn't appear to be dog savvy and that could be a problem.

Yes that's correct. I've actually seen damage bills of well over $20k which the bond will nowhere near cover - the poor old landlord gets stuck with it.. And the most damage I've ever seen done to a property was by children, not animals.

Edited by westiemum

I have a young active working breed who as long as he has access to inside when Im home is fine in small yards.

Its going to depend on the owner. I agree with show dog. Do they have references, a pet resume maybe?

And therein lies the problem.

There was no mention of having or wanting pets at the time they applied and I accepted the application. This has come out of the blue today. No they haven't got the dog yet so theres no pet resume and I think they are first time dog owners so doubt there are any references. The dog will not have access to inside while everyone is at work and school (the doggy door is too small) so will be outside in a small yard all day. And I can't protect myself with a pet bond.

Edited by westiemum