Big Dog Beds

wanderlust

LOL! Roova don't you dare laugh!! laugh.gif (She recommended these beds and now I'm a complete convert!)

wanderlust IMO the best beds for that sort of money are from Orvis in the US here. They are absolutely awesome - they also have 'quiet' plastic covers underneath the washable top cover to protect the foam (or at least the two I bought did and I assume they all do). And that plastic cover is worth its weight in gold. My westies fight over this one. laugh.gif When I get my next house I'm going to buy another and as long as the money is available I won't ever buy anything else. I've had two of these just on 12 months with two westies scratching around in them and they still look like new.

If money is tighter you can't go past the Henry Hottie here. My guys love these as well - I have one in the lounge and one in the bedroom. But they don't have the internal plastic covers (which with an old occasionally incontinent westie is a pest) and as much as I love them too I think the Orvis are better designed.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

ETA: Until 12 months ago, I always bought cheap(er) beds - and IMO it was an absolute waste - fell apart fairly quickly but more annoying was how quickly (usually after the first or second wash) they badly lost their shape. I reckon I spent more replacing them than if I'd bought better designed and more solid beds in the first place!

Edited by westiemum

Hey no laughter from me...I love them too!

From the cheapskate amongst us (me) I was going to suggest you could buy the cover only and stuff it yourself. I also have the lounger bed which came with sausage shaped bags which are stuffed and zipped in the sides for support. When I want to wash the cover I just unzip the sides and pull the sausages out. (Boy that sounds weird!).

I bought the stuffing from Spotlight for next to nothing and used an old pillow in the body of the bed. Really great bed which the dogs love. I got a medium which fits two small dogs but the big ones are pretty large.

20150926_141139_zpsgq1vpxn1.jpg

I checked the Orvis site for dog beds on sale and found this one (cover only) in size XX Large Normally AUD $254.30 but now $118.48

57" x 45½" outside dimensions

Orvis Deep Dish bed

Good luck either way :)

Hey no laughter from me...I love them too!

From the cheapskate amongst us (me) I was going to suggest you could buy the cover only and stuff it yourself. I also have the lounger bed which came with sausage shaped bags which are stuffed and zipped in the sides for support. When I want to wash the cover I just unzip the sides and pull the sausages out. (Boy that sounds weird!).

I bought the stuffing from Spotlight for next to nothing and used an old pillow in the body of the bed. Really great bed which the dogs love. I got a medium which fits two small dogs but the big ones are pretty large.

20150926_141139_zpsgq1vpxn1.jpg

I checked the Orvis site for dog beds on sale and found this one (cover only) in size XX Large Normally AUD $254.30 but now $118.48

57" x 45½" outside dimensions

Orvis Deep Dish bed

Good luck either way :)

That is an absolute bargain!

Edited by westiemum

LOL I was waiting for an Orvis comment. :laugh:

I must admit I was thinking we've turned in to Orvis fanatics, people are going to be scared to ask about beds soon! :laugh:

Edited by Roova

Yes they do. I shipped two Orvis beds to Adelaide in late November last year (for a surprisingly reasonable price) and they offer shopping in AUD on their website. smile.gif

Thanks I just checked again and it seems to be working for me now which is strange. I ordered some other things from them earlier in the week but kept on getting "won't ship internationally" for the large beds.

Hmm... maybe the large beds are an exception - I don't know. Maybe buy the cover on special that Roova posted earlier - that's a bargain! thumbsup1.gif

ETA: I just tried it out - I 'ordered' a large lounger bed and it added shipping of $24 odd dollars no worries. Maybe a problem your end somewhere?

Edited by westiemum

Thanks for the recommendations Roova and Westiemum :D the Orvis beds look beautiful ! but I would need to get an X-Large for my boy (he is 56KG last time we were at the vets) and then once I add shipping the total comes to $563... :cry: HenryHottie or Snooza is a bit more in my price range..so far I have found decent prices for the Snooza for $282.. and that's delivered.

Did you check out the one I linked? It was XX Large cover and on sale at $118. I think westiemum calculated postage was $24? If you buy the whole bed, stuffing and all it will cost you a small fortune to post..

Maybe just buy the cover and stuff it yourself as Roova did? There's an XX one on sale in her link which is dirt cheap at $118 (relatively). I didn't do that 'cos I needed memory foam for my 15 + year old girl. And I priced memory foam at Clark Rubber and there was negligible difference in cost so I bought the whole thing from Orivs. But as I said, Henry Hottie is a good option IMO too - Michelle there is great and very helpful- and didn't yell at me when I got ultra fussy about the size of the bed I ordered for Andy after Mac died (I wasn't myself and she was great).

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I am a Snooza fan. (had an Orvis at one time which eventually fell to pieces - see the +++ for the Snooza)

My dogs really love them - so cosy and also very easy to take the covers off and wash everything including the stuffing! Also easy to reassemble unlike some of the other beds.

+++ the bonus is that you can get them repaired if you have a vandal!!

Yes I checked out that link Roova, looking into it for me it would cost about $170 to get the cover shipped here and then I would need to get memory foam stuffing/perhaps see if I can purchase some thick foam or rubber perhaps (he has had his knee operated on a few years ago).. So I will continue investigating these options :D Thank you

I think I must have the only dog in Australia who doesn't like her Henry Hottie bed. She immediately chose to sleep elsewhere once It came home and I've resorted to squishing it into her crate so it gets used at least occasionally. I found the customer service pretty poor too (tried to convince me I needed to pay extra for shipping despite the website saying it was flat rate and said they couldn't cover the extra due to them being only a small business)

Another Snooza fan here - have had beds still going strong after 7 or 8 years. Definitely value for money.

Same. Snooza are not cheap but they're made well and have a good warranty behind them, in case something does need replacing.

My only complaint is that the range is a bit limited for big dogs, although having said that, at least their large sizes are actually large.