Dog Shaking And Crying For Food.

Ben89

My miniature dachshund is crying and shaking vigorously whilst dinner is being made for her.

She only starts this behaviour when she can hear or see that dinners being made.

It really seems to be a traumatic experience for her.

Has anyone experienced this type of behaviour or possibly have any suggestions on how to remedy this?

3ea357a5dfd940dcd26ef2a6c30f25af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps a video so we can see what's going on?

Offhand ideas you could try:

Having her in a separate room/outside (crate or place training if you've got it)

Set up distractions to keep her occupied

Perhaps make a recording of the meal set up noises and play them at a really quiet level - reward her for calm - make slightly louder - reward her for staying calm etc

Do the "fake out" game like with leaving the house, only you start to make the meal for a few seconds. Then stop, go back to whatever. Then start making it for a few more seconds. Stop, go back to whatever. Start making it for even more seconds etc...and just slowly build it up, stopping before she gets too worked up and doing something else less worrying like watching tv. Would take a long time, but trying to teach her it is not a big deal?

Have you tried splitting her meals so she isnt super hungry by dinner time?

Gets breakfast and dinner,

It's not about quantity, it's a mentality issue.

She's not sitting at the door begging for dinner prior to it being made...

It's more of an in the moment, can't contain her self type thing.

50% excitement

50% stress disorder

Perhaps a video so we can see what's going on?

Offhand ideas you could try:

Having her in a separate room/outside (crate or place training if you've got it)

Set up distractions to keep her occupied

Perhaps make a recording of the meal set up noises and play them at a really quiet level - reward her for calm - make slightly louder - reward her for staying calm etc

Do the "fake out" game like with leaving the house, only you start to make the meal for a few seconds. Then stop, go back to whatever. Then start making it for a few more seconds. Stop, go back to whatever. Start making it for even more seconds etc...and just slowly build it up, stopping before she gets too worked up and doing something else less worrying like watching tv. Would take a long time, but trying to teach her it is not a big deal?

Awesome! Thanks very much will put this into action tomorrow!

It's not trauma lol, but adrenaline as he's going into drive for food. When this happens it can cause an adrenaline quiver, you will often see the dog start to jaw chatter too. Totally normal response.

Hahaha, there was a Westie at the Westie Christmas party on Sunday that was doing this. he got offered a liver treat and his little jaw was chattering so fast!

It was really funny.

he got lots of liver treats :laugh:

My Annie does the opposite. As soon as she hears her dinner preparation sounds, she appears at the kitchen doorway & sits rock still staring. Doesn't matter how long it takes, she doesn't move a whisker. As if even one tiny move will mean the dinner things will fly away.

It's like she turns into a new breed... a Tibbie Pointer.

It's not trauma lol, but adrenaline as he's going into drive for food. When this happens it can cause an adrenaline quiver, you will often see the dog start to jaw chatter too. Totally normal response.

Both my dogs started to do as they got older and we can't quite pinpoint the connection and what has caused it to start as it's not something they always did.

When Indy was getting towards the end and the cushings disease had taken taken it's toll and his fur was very sparce it started.

Kira has now also started doing it. It started for her after her paralysis tick incident and as she was shaved to pretty much naked we thought she was cold but she's still doing it. We say she's doing a Velociraptor impersonation as it's quite loud. :laugh:

I'm guessing it started for both of them late in life as they were/are old and weak and can't control it???

Edited by Malamum

Exactly !

Dachsies were originally hunters ..they still have a lot of drive - and if her mealtimes are her big events ... then yep, the adrenaline will be racing :)

Young Ash has almost got his 'jabber jaws' to a point where he will do it on cue LOL It runs in his family ... they know we will give them attention for the 'silent barking fit' ;)