Crates- Where To Buy Cheap

Scrappi&Monty

Hi DOL,

For Christmas we are going to my cousin's place, which has been newly renovated and doesn't have a fence yet. They live on a quiet back lane several blocks from Pennant Hills Rd. We think the dogs will be ok in the yard when we are there if we have harnesses and leashes on in case, but considering a crate to put them away somewhere while the humans are eating and at night time?

Cousins may have a playpen and crate we could borrow as they are about to bring home a labby pup after Xmas!

I was wondering if anyone knew a place to buy a cheap and decent quality crate? Any recommendations? :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DOL,

For Christmas we are going to my cousin's place, which has been newly renovated and doesn't have a fence yet. They live on a quiet back lane several blocks from Pennant Hills Rd. We think the dogs will be ok in the yard when we are there if we have harnesses and leashes on in case, but considering a crate to put them away somewhere while the humans are eating and at night time?

Cousins may have a playpen and crate we could borrow as they are about to bring home a labby pup after Xmas!

I was wondering if anyone knew a place to buy a cheap and decent quality crate? Any recommendations? :)

the two words dont necessarily go together.

I bought a very well made and strong crate big enough to carry a medium sized border collie, kelpie or ACD in a car for $80 from Dogtainers at Mascot. even has bowls for feed and water attached inside. love it. That was brand new not second hand

Edited by asal

the two words dont necessarily go together.

I bought a very well made and strong crate big enough to carry a medium sized border collie, kelpie or ACD in a car for $80 from Dogtainers at Mascot. even has bowls for feed and water attached inside. love it. That was brand new not second hand

Thank you ????

That's a pretty good price, I just wanted to avoid having to spend a few hundred $$$ on them, Petbarn sells 24" for like $90 or something! A little steep in my opinion...

I need one for a 13kg corgi and a 20kg Staffy (tall)

Thinking 30" and 36" will be ok?

online, i think i got mine delivered the next day, its a vebo i think.

Thanks Juice, ????

I think I'll have another look at Vebo, they seem to be good quality without huge prices. I was looking at this random junk website called "Real Smart" because they were really cheap, but that'd be because they're cheap quality. Also apparently some people never received their orders so I'll stay away from them...

Are you thinking of plastic or wire crates, more ventilation for the dogs with the wire.

I have been looking into a new wire crate and Pet network in Vic. have the wire crates at a very reasonable cost, one to fit a corgi is $75 but one to hold two dogs is just marginally dearer, go have a look at their web site.

Vebo!!

Otherwise you may find a good quality used crate on Gumtree. People buy them for flights or toilet training then sell them on. When you start researching crates you learn which brand is which and those that haven't been rated very highly, at least by DOLers, and can pick them out online. :grimace:

Vebo!!

Otherwise you may find a good quality used crate on Gumtree. People buy them for flights or toilet training then sell them on. When you start researching crates you learn which brand is which and those that haven't been rated very highly, at least by DOLers, and can pick them out online. :grimace:

thats the best way, but I was dropping off a pup and was so impressed by the crate they put him in I bought one. then thought, hey I need 2

so chuffed. received this today, this is why so many prefer to breed or buy their own instead of a rescue. time will tell how long before freedom of choice no longer survives in the nanny states of australia now.

"Hello

This is Jodie from Mount Gambier SA I purchased a Blue bitch pup off you a couple of years ago and had her flown to Adelaide her registed name is " Callie" out of Princess by Lightning (we call her Ellie)

Just thought I would just let you know she is going GREAT I couldn't be happier with her, a lot of people call her small or think she is still a puppy but I think she is the perfect size and has a perfect temperament she is a fine example of how great the breed is and we are turning heeler haters around where ever we go the usual comment I get is "I don't like heelers but I do love yours she is beautiful" half the time it feels like I am defending the entire breed because someone had a bad run in with a heeler and now don't like or trust heelers even when their owner is standing their with them on a lead??

We have been attending Obedience classes since June as I wanted a bit of me time away from the kids and I LOVE it we have moved up 2 classes already and are now in grade 2. I remember our first club competition to see if we would pass to go up to the next grade I still wasn't sure how it all worked anyway we entered and Ellie had be playing up a bit that day not behaving as she usually did in training/class, anyway I told the judge on the way in she's being a bitch but we will see how we go, and well we came out with a score of 195 out of 200 and took out first place won a ribbon and all I was so excited to show my husband when I got home, we are now into our 3rd week of Agility training and she is doing great as well, at home she climbs the ladder up into the kids cubby house which is quite high but she taught herself that just by following the kids up and down. "

Edited by asal

Vebo!!

thats the best way, but I was dropping off a pup and was so impressed by the crate they put him in I bought one. then thought, hey I need 2

so chuffed. received this today, this is why so many prefer to breed or buy their own instead of a rescue. time will tell how long before freedom of choice no longer survives in the nanny states of australia now.

"Hello

This is Jodie from Mount Gambier SA I purchased a Blue bitch pup off you a couple of years ago and had her flown to Adelaide her registed name is " Callie" out of Princess by Lightning (we call her Ellie)

Just thought I would just let you know she is going GREAT I couldn't be happier with her, a lot of people call her small or think she is still a puppy but I think she is the perfect size and has a perfect temperament she is a fine example of how great the breed is and we are turning heeler haters around where ever we go the usual comment I get is "I don't like heelers but I do love yours she is beautiful" half the time it feels like I am defending the entire breed because someone had a bad run in with a heeler and now don't like or trust heelers even when their owner is standing their with them on a lead??

We have been attending Obedience classes since June as I wanted a bit of me time away from the kids and I LOVE it we have moved up 2 classes already and are now in grade 2. I remember our first club competition to see if we would pass to go up to the next grade I still wasn't sure how it all worked anyway we entered and Ellie had be playing up a bit that day not behaving as she usually did in training/class, anyway I told the judge on the way in she's being a bitch but we will see how we go, and well we came out with a score of 195 out of 200 and took out first place won a ribbon and all I was so excited to show my husband when I got home, we are now into our 3rd week of Agility training and she is doing great as well, at home she climbs the ladder up into the kids cubby house which is quite high but she taught herself that just by following the kids up and down. "

This is a thread about crates. Was the random dig at rescue really necessary?

Vebo!!

"Hello

This is a thread about crates. Was the random dig at rescue really necessary?

Yes I do not get what you are getting at asal...

Vebo!!

"Hello

Um yeah asal, I just read through my original post and seriously don't understand how the rude comment about rescuing fits in. I don't really care about such and such's brilliant heeler... I wanted to know what crates people liked for a lower price. Yes my dogs are both rescues, as that is our family's choice. I was nearly going to buy a purebred Shetland sheepdog or Papillon, but then we met our rescue pup that we have now. In my opinion there should be that choice to get either a rescue or a pedigree if you wish. I love both!! Yes rescues sometimes have behavioural problems, but if you aren't up for the task then don't get one! Sorry but I don't really like someone being nasty when I was asking a completely unrelated question...

Are you thinking of plastic or wire crates, more ventilation for the dogs with the wire.

I have been looking into a new wire crate and Pet network in Vic. have the wire crates at a very reasonable cost, one to fit a corgi is $75 but one to hold two dogs is just marginally dearer, go have a look at their web site.

I was thinking wire, but plastic would be ok too.

The younger one (Staffy) might not use a crate by himself so it would be nice to pack his away. The corgi loves hiding under the bed, under the table and the bench so I'm sure he would love a crate to sleep in. :-)

The wire crates fold flat, have more ventilation whereas the plastic crates, although they do have slots for air movement would be too hot in the summer for the dogs, my Frenchies just love their wire crates as it is not so restrictive, they go in there during the hot weather especially as their crates are under airconditioning ducts, it is their den and to them a safe place, the doors are left open during the day and most times that is where you will find them sound asleep, they sleep in there at night but the doors closed and a cover over them.

Vebo!!

"Hello

Um yeah asal, I just read through my original post and seriously don't understand how the rude comment about rescuing fits in. I don't really care about such and such's brilliant heeler... I wanted to know what crates people liked for a lower price. Yes my dogs are both rescues, as that is our family's choice. I was nearly going to buy a purebred Shetland sheepdog or Papillon, but then we met our rescue pup that we have now. In my opinion there should be that choice to get either a rescue or a pedigree if you wish. I love both!! Yes rescues sometimes have behavioural problems, but if you aren't up for the task then don't get one! Sorry but I don't really like someone being nasty when I was asking a completely unrelated question...

it was in my head as I had just been reading that 20 pages of the

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/ima...ember_2016.pdf

and Pulford couldn't seem to see if pet shops are so unsuitable for puppies from a breeder, how on earth are they suitable for rescues, they are dogs as well too, last I looked.

it wasn't meant as a dig actually, well not at the dogs, but the stupidity of Pulford who I just cant believe has the Agriculture portfolio. But I see now that's how it came out. then to receive that totally unexpected email made me realise why Ive stuck it out now that to breed your own is to be perceived to be no better than being a prostitute these days. have a bad habit of writing what im thinking.

I tend to like the plastic crates because, no rust and as I mostly transport puppies in a crate, the adults share a seat and seatbelt. Puppies can throw up when you least expect it or decide they just HAVE to go and the sight of a doo, even worse a sloppy doo shooting (travelling seems to upset some just like kids) out the side of a wire crate onto the seat or seat or boot cover takes my mind totally off driving and the urge to clean up is too distracting if in traffic and cant pull over

Edited by asal