I Know This Has Probably Been Done To Death...

poochmad

No I get that point too. I'm not focusing on predictability because breeding for that is not good for dogs generally, in the long term. We breed for predictability because it's what we want. It's a dead end road for dogs though. Unless we just want a bunch of predictable generic dogs.

I understand that loads of people want that, but loads of other people want to roll the dice and take a gamble. That is after all how we got most of our predictable cookie cutter breeds in the first place.

The rise of oodles is no different and I'm not entirely sure it's trying to standardise varieties of them is a good road to go down. Well just end up with a new set of self limiting predictable cookie cutter breeds.

Isn't predictability of appearance/traits the point of purebreds? If I get a whippet, it's because I want a medium sized, short haired dog who is reasonably quiet. I'd be pretty annoyed to wind up with something entirely different and I'd guess the same would apply to anyone else who took the time to research a breed to find one that meets their needs.

Oodles are promoted as having a certain set of traits and I've no doubt that many people research them and select them for those traits- and then end up very disappointed when they discover that their dog is not at all what they'd expected.

To be honest, I think it is incredibly unlikely that someone would go to the expense of buying a "non-shedding" dog if they really weren't concerned about things like labrador-style hairsplosions.

Edited by Maddy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people with oodles (first cross, pet shop ones too, as well as multigen and reputable breeder ones), there are heaps of meet up groups for them and they have a lot of instagram accounts too :p

But i havent heard of this disappointment at all...? everyone seems to adore their oodle, there are very few of them in rescues near me (which have a lot of staffys, greyhounds and bully breeds) and there are even waitlists for them, if anyone finds a lab x poodle cross i know about 5 people who have been looking in rescues for one and i will send send them the links~ :)

Even the ones which arent completely "non shedding" and 'non doggy smelling" shed/smell very little in comparison to their non poodle parent and their owners still love them :)

I have met precisely one oodle with a serious temperament flaw in researching and in behaviour consulting. The owner contacted the breeder, who was reportedly hugely surprised and tried to help and then gave up (the problem was extreme) and withdrew. I have met many oodles that have some problem behaviours but their owners are happy to work on them because the dog is otherwise a good dog they are very happy with. I think it's easy to assume people must be disappointed with these dogs, but I have met people that have been so happy with their designer crossbreed they went and bought another one. I met two Border/poodle mixes recently. Quite different dogs, but both of them were really good companions. Who would think it? Not purebred dog fanciers, I guess. I have met lab/cocker mixes that were gorgeous family pets, and pug/beagle mixes that had broad appeal. I can accept that good dogs come from all backgrounds and still not recommend designed crossbreeds on the grounds that you don't know what their early life has been like, necessarily, or their health. While supposedly we have purebreds for predictability, I have had more clients with purebred dogs that are disappointed than clients with oodles that are disappointed. People have an amazing dog of a particular breed and then they want another one and get a rude shock when they find themselves with a very different dog. Or they thought they wanted x, got one, and then found out breed x is maybe beyond their skills or unsuited to their environment after all. Assuming that there are going to be major problems with a designer crossbreed because it's a designer crossbreed is why purebred dog fanciers don't understand why people want oodles. Talk to people with oodles. They will tell you how great their dogs are. It really is that simple. They will tell anyone that will listen how great their dogs are, just like anyone else that loves their dog will.

I have met precisely one oodle with a serious temperament flaw in researching and in behaviour consulting. The owner contacted the breeder, who was reportedly hugely surprised and tried to help and then gave up (the problem was extreme) and withdrew. I have met many oodles that have some problem behaviours but their owners are happy to work on them because the dog is otherwise a good dog they are very happy with. I think it's easy to assume people must be disappointed with these dogs, but I have met people that have been so happy with their designer crossbreed they went and bought another one. I met two Border/poodle mixes recently. Quite different dogs, but both of them were really good companions. Who would think it? Not purebred dog fanciers, I guess. I have met lab/cocker mixes that were gorgeous family pets, and pug/beagle mixes that had broad appeal. I can accept that good dogs come from all backgrounds and still not recommend designed crossbreeds on the grounds that you don't know what their early life has been like, necessarily, or their health. While supposedly we have purebreds for predictability, I have had more clients with purebred dogs that are disappointed than clients with oodles that are disappointed. People have an amazing dog of a particular breed and then they want another one and get a rude shock when they find themselves with a very different dog. Or they thought they wanted x, got one, and then found out breed x is maybe beyond their skills or unsuited to their environment after all. Assuming that there are going to be major problems with a designer crossbreed because it's a designer crossbreed is why purebred dog fanciers don't understand why people want oodles. Talk to people with oodles. They will tell you how great their dogs are. It really is that simple. They will tell anyone that will listen how great their dogs are, just like anyone else that loves their dog will.

Yep, I work with them up close and personal every day, for many years. I have come to love them too. I ask a lot from a dog during a full service groom and the oodles very very rarely cause me any issues. Unfortunately I can't say the same for most of the pure breeds I see. Add to that I rarely speak to a client with an oodle that is anything but delighted and besotted with their fluffball. Call them mutts, or oodles or cross reeds or whatever, they are really popular, on the rise, and here to stay, because people love them.

I know a lot of people with oodles (first cross, pet shop ones too, as well as multigen and reputable breeder ones), there are heaps of meet up groups for them and they have a lot of instagram accounts too :p

But i havent heard of this disappointment at all...? everyone seems to adore their oodle, there are very few of them in rescues near me (which have a lot of staffys, greyhounds and bully breeds) and there are even waitlists for them, if anyone finds a lab x poodle cross i know about 5 people who have been looking in rescues for one and i will send send them the links~ :)

Even the ones which arent completely "non shedding" and 'non doggy smelling" shed/smell very little in comparison to their non poodle parent and their owners still love them :)

I know of a number that shed badly.

Rule 4:

No denigration of pure bred dogs

Speaks for itself. This is a primarily a pure bred dog forum (ANKC recognised breeds) and was created to promote and discuss these breeds. If you don't think pure bred dogs make the perfect pets, then maybe this forum is not for you.

Rule 4:

Speaks for itself. This is a primarily a pure bred dog forum (ANKC recognised breeds) and was created to promote and discuss these breeds. If you don't think pure bred dogs make the perfect pets, then maybe this forum is not for you.

A thread asks why some people might prefer doodle crosses to poodles, mowgli contributes their experience and you accuse them (and only them?) of denigration?

That puts a good stop to any honest discussion and learning :/

Edited by Thistle the dog

Rule 4:

I am happy to delete my comments, if they are not allowed? :)

I thought this whole thread is classified as "unnecessary cross breed discussion" given its been done to death (rule 7) which is also banned though?

Rule 4:

How does saying that some breeds shed a lot and smell doggy denigrade pure breds??

Edited by Simply Grand

Rule 4:

How does saying that some breeds shed a lot and smell doggy denigrade pure breds??

Because she said they shed/smell less than the purebred parent. Therefore the purebred is smelly and sheds.

Rule 4:

Because she said they shed/smell less than the purebred parent. Therefore the purebred is smelly and sheds.

But lots of pure breeds DO shed and get smelly? That's not denigration, that's just a fact. I'm constantly vacuuming up hair from my two pure breeds and sometimes they smell...

ETA - my mixed breed foster dog also sheds and sometimes smells doggy. It's just how it is, not a denigration of either :shrug:

Edited by Simply Grand

G'day Poochmad.

A friend of mine bought a fluffy neurotic lapdog (I forget the breed; small, snow-white, longish coat, yappy ) simply because some idiot on the internet told him that this breed didn't shed. You're suggested breeds for your sister are well considered. I suggested a mini schnauzer for my mate & his wife. Lovely little dogs.

That's the point of choosing a pedigree, right? You pretty much know what you're getting.

Why on earth I asked, would one not consider a dogs temperament & compatibility before aesthetics? Would you believe that my mate has just gained a Doctorate in psychology? (seriously, most of them have less of a clue than the rest of us)

No, my mate nor his wife don't have any allergies, they chose this loony animal simply because it 'doesn't shed fur'. The funny thing is that yes it does shed fur, lots & lots of white fur, lol.