4 Month Old Toilet Training

Chele

We have a beautiful little King Charles Cavilier who is 4 months old. Trying to training him poo and pee outside. Sometimes he does it, and gets a treat and lots of praise. Other times he won't but will walk straight back inside and do it there.

Why is that? His scent is outside as I've put his pee pads out there and left a poo or 2 around :vomit: Tonight he peed on my bed, again right after we went outside and as I was getting into bed. He usually sleeps with me until I go to sleep then he has his bed right beside me on the floor.

I don't yell at him when he does it inside I just pick him up and put outside where he's supposed to go if I catch him in the act. If not, I just clean it up.

I'm finding it difficult to train him, any ideas?

I know it's normal, just wanting tips and / Or advice.

Don't you just love toilet training!

My first question is regarding your use of pee pads. Does that mean at certain times he is expected to toilet inside?

I do have them down all time because he is going inside the house (not that he uses them often) he pees wherever he feels like. But mostly for night time. We get up to at least 1 wee and a 2 poos.

Should I take them away altogether? Maybe that's confusing him. We do have a dog door that he knows how to use and I do take him out that to go pee and reward him for using it,

I've turned the house into a toilet haven't I?

Edited by Chele

Ok so it's been a week and we have some improvement.

BUT

he has peed on my bed 2 nights in a row now. Last night was at 1am when my daughter woke up after a nightmare so I could maybe forgive that but tonight was just as we were getting into bed. He just got up and I put him off, he got back up and was just sitting there and peed sitting down :mad I was about to take him outside to go as well (as I've done every night for the last week)

What I don't understand is, he sleeps on this bed as well...

Edited by Chele

Why is he sleeping on your bed?

I have never allowed a dog to sleep on the bed, they have a crate next to the bed and you can hear them getting restless during the night so you take them out to relieve themselves.

The crate is set up as half bed and half paper for them to use if they happen to need to go and you do not wake up.

One of the reasons I do not allow puppies on the bed with me is because I fear that they will fall off and do damage to themselves.

Yes my bed is a luxury earned....puppies sleep in a crate next to my bed until they are not only toilet trained but will reliably sleep through the night without collecting all my shoes! This might be up to 12 months for some. When you hear pup become restless take him/her outside to toilet. Then quietly back to the crate with no fuss. If you are likely to sleep through then put a bell on his collar.

When Ginny started sleeping on our bed she just could not resist playing with the cats - it was chaos! I quietly popped her back in her crate - consequences! And she quickly realised that hanging out with the big kids required a new level of responsibility. I've got one of my pups back for a holiday and so 3 Spaniels on the bed plus cats, no wrestling, no shoe collections. Looking forward to my new King size bed being delivered though :laugh:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

He doesn't sleep there all night just early in the morning before we get up he has cuddles.

Is it to late to start crate training? He has the run of the house at night. Doesn't cause an problems, expect poos a wee to clean up.

He doesn't sleep there all night just early in the morning before we get up he has cuddles.

Is it to late to start crate training? He has the run of the house at night. Doesn't cause an problems, expect poos a wee to clean up.

Definitely not too late. Crate training is not about leaving pups in there for extended periods - it's just a management tool when a) you are asleep and b) you can't directly supervise. My dogs LOVE their crates and it's so handy. I just flew my 6 year old Springer for the first time and she was so much more comfortable about the experience because I played crate games before and after each flight. Poos and wees to clean up ARE a problem and won't get better - I do everything possible not to allow puppies to pee inside....no drama if they do and mine tend to pee near the door, i.e. they've been telling me they need to go out and I've missed the signals.

It's toileting now but in a little while it will be CHEWING!!!

Ok thanks guys,

He usually stays right by my bed bit he doesn't always last all night without needing the loo.

I've never had a puppy, our last dog was already housetrained and we never had an issue.

So until I get a crate I might put the barrier up so he is confined to an area overnight. Should I put a puppy pad down? I will still have him by my bed and he will on carpet.

Persephone

be sure to use a good enzyme based cleaner ..and once pup wakes up..HE IS FIRST to be taken out. Immediately - or there will be accidents .

He is most certainly the first out with treats ready and the que word for when he does go.

I have that urine offf stuff, but he still pees inside. Not just at night.

Oh... the penny has dropped.... because he pees inside at night I guess he thinks it's ok during the day... hitting head against the wall now....

Back to containing him at night...

Edited by Chele

Just echoing the advice you've been given. Crate training for mine too when they're little. My just turned 8 year old Border Collie still sleeps in his airline crate beside my bed .. his choice .. the door has been open for the last 6 or so years , and in fact I took it off about 3 years ago. he could be on my bed if he wants, but only pops up in the morning occasionally for a cuddle. My old girl sleeps on her dog bed the other side of my bed .. again, so I can hear when she needs to go out at night. She's nearly 15 now, so we have some excursions.

I take mine out on lead if they're going out at night for toilet. When they're young, it helps to keep them focused on the job at hand, and then straight back to bed in the crate, with a little treat for that. Solves potential problems of wanting to have play time in the moonlight. Or in the case of the adults, chasing pademelons in the moonlight.

With little pups, I've kept them limited in the areas they can be in the house if I'm not there to supervise.

Thanks guys. I will certainly take him out if he needs to.

He does have a dog door he can get out but it hasn't clicked yet to use that to go outside.

I will put up the barrier tonight to keep him confined to a small area. Will I use a puppy pad?

Well done! Puppies generally don't have enough time to process that they need to get to the front door and use the doggy door. So you can teach him to go through it as a separate exercise but don't expect him to put it all together for a while. Personally I would rather wake up than leave puppy pads down.