4 Month Old Toilet Training

Chele

Good idea :) After feeding/waking ..STAY with him until he toilets ( being boring - no chit chat/playing /patting) then have a little party :) A few times of this , and he'll respond !

A couple of my dogs will still poo, then race up to me ,smiling, for a treat !

The only reason I put the puppy pad down is because we are renting ATM and I didn't want to risk him peeing or pooing on the carpet. He sniffed at it and then I just got up and took him out. I think he would have stayed asleep a bit longer if it wasn't for the cat..

What can also happen is they get distracted, so if you are finding he messes in the house when he comes inside after youve just taken him out, you may need to trick him a little. If he doesn't go when you first take him out, bring him back inside, and take him straight back out again, and he should go. My puppy was the king of this, first trip he'd get distracted so he'd forget why he was out there in the first place and i soon learnt from watching how he walked when he needed to pee, so if he didn't go the first time, straight back inside and out again.

Hey Chele

Isn't cleaning up puppy 'accidents' so much fun?

I'm so lucky that my 10 week old Rotti pup sleeps at least 6 hours straight at night (last night I got 7 1/2 hours sleep. Ahh, sleeeep) without a single accident (touch wood).

You've been given some very good advice here.

I'd like to add that when I take pup out for toilet, (after he wakes, after a meal or at least every 2 hours) I say the word 'piss' (I'm a bloke so you might want to choose another word) when we go outside. When he pees I repeat the word & say 'good boy'. When finished I use my 'happy voice' to praise him (And doesn't he look so pleased with himself when he does a big poo, lol)

It's also very useful for the rest of their lives. When getting ready for bed for e.g., when I had my last Rotti who's now in spirit, I'd ask him if he wanted to go 'piss'. Often he'd drop his head (his way of saying 'Nah, I'm good') he'd think about it for a sec, then get up & trot to the back door to be let out for toilet.

Also, before my new pup learned the 'piss' command (only took less than a week) when I take him outside, I'd stay there until he went toilet. At night I use a torch & don't take my eyes off him until he's done the deed. Not much fun at 5am while getting attacked by mossies, I know, but better than a house that smells like a toilet.

Yes, pups CAN be very time consuming but with proper training it does get better, often quite quickly.

I'm one of those 'meanies' who never allows my dogs onto my bed or the lounge. Pup has HIS bed (very comfy beds at that) one next to mine & one for the living areas.

I'm glad that the situations improving for you & trust that it gets easier with time.