Dog Breed Selectors

cannibalgoldfish

In another thread the online "Dog Breed selector" quizzes came up. I know I've done one or two and the results are often hilariously wrong. Yet people still use them to help choose their future dog. It got me thinking... Let's fill one out! I know I've filled out a quiz or two and ended up with totally different breeds that I know for a fact don't suit .

What's a good "breed selector?" For Example a quick google and I found this one. and... apparently I want small long haired terriers. Nope.

http://www.pedigree.com.au/dog-breed-information/breed-selector/

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the Papillon. :D :heart:

... and a whole bunch of terrier breeds in which I have no interest.

It's a pretty simplistic survey. I've seen one that was a lot more comprehensive but it came back with a litanay of weird cross breeds like the shihzockeroodleuahua.*

*Ok I made that one up. But there were similar head scratching mixes.

LOL I can usually manoeuvre these things to come out with my favourite breeds. You just need to think about what the one you want is best known for and answer accordingly.

With this one Pug was in the top line, and Australian Terrier in the second. *does smug dance* dancingelephant.gif

Mind you, none of the other half-dozen breeds on each line have even been on my wish list LOL

I even tried different answers (more hair? less hair? bigger? smaller? I spend more time? less time? with them? they're never alone? always alone?)

I got Kelpies & Border Collies on my list but never in the top row. icon_smile_mad.gif

Border Collies were easy but I had to do several tries before i could add Kelpie to the top row. I was totally dishonest, of course.

post-21294-0-75526300-1481207509_thumb.png

I clearly don't know how on earth to look after my breed embarrass.gif

I even put the highest possible energy, we live rural anyway, small house (but does that make any difference if you have a big yard!? *ahem* farm!?), lots of exercise, very active dog, >$35 feeding, 2-3 sessions/wk grooming (because that's how often I groom my SHOW Aussie!)

Seriously there's nothing I can make more suitable for Aussies on the quiz eek1.gif

HMMMM I suspect not every breed is represented.

Aussies should have been there with the Border Collies and Kelpies and ACDs.

I totally failed at getting Shibas. The closest I get could get was Basenji and Chow. (Corgi was also represented LOL)

I did it in reverse when I was looking. Went down the list of breeds on DOL breeder pages to see what was likely to fit my desired traits - around 10kg, stocky build, square head, outgoing temperament.I do well with terriers but initially wanted an open mind and looked at a lot of breeds. Decided on a westie, then did breed specific "are westies suitable for you" questionnaires.

I could not want a more perfect dog and he had very huge paws to fill after my staffy.

Out of interest, I did this one again and these are some of my results- chihuahua, west highland white terrier, Australian terrier, Scottish terrier, labrador, pug, Boston terrier.

(Different from the results I got in the last thread, even though I put in the same answers)

The answers I put in were: small house (greyhounds don't need a big house?), suburbs, medium yard (not they they ever use it), secure fences, no exercise (if they want a walk, I'll take them but mostly they're happy with a daily zoomies in the yard), minimal time alone, no elderly or disabled family in the house, 20-39 age group, youngest child in in the 6-11 age bracket, owner is inactive (it's hard to be active when you have dogs sleeping on you), dog's energy levels should be "quiet", preferred size is large/giant, willing to spend more than $35 per week feeding, smooth/short coat preferred, no weekly grooming (I do actually give my hounds a rub down once a week but that's just because they enjoy it, not because they need it), don't need a dog to defend property (whatever the hell that even means), and yes, owned dogs before.

I've been fiddling around with it for ages, trying to figure out what they think a greyhound needs, and damned if I can be a suitable greyhound owner :confused:

I have always adored Salukis, but didn't think they suited me at all. I was obviously wrong :D Did get a cav down the bottom. Wouldn't own any terrier or beagle though. Wouldn't like grooming a beardie either haha post-42249-0-85414500-1481241328_thumb.jpg

Eta: the clumbers are too heavy, the Keeshond too spitzy and not as trainable as I like them :laugh: and I'm not a fan of most dockers either. Though would have a springer.

Edited by denali

Did again and only changed one criteria - went for large/giant breed...

post-23772-0-35537300-1481241406_thumb.jpg

I think they decided that my size requireent was the size of the attitude in the dog... lol!

T.

I got a lot of small terriers, too. You would think that if someone selects for large/giant, they probably mean that they don't want a small dog? :noidea:

Did again and only changed one criteria - went for large/giant breed...

post-23772-0-35537300-1481241406_thumb.jpg

I think they decided that my size requireent was the size of the attitude in the dog... lol!

T.

I got a lot of small terriers, too. You would think that if someone selects for large/giant, they probably mean that they don't want a small dog? :noidea:

Awww! provoke.gif Go and get a westie Maddy! The selector's telling you you want one! rofl1.gif

Edited by westiemum