How To Achieve This Look?

So ive had my first go at grooming and im pretty happy with the body - its not perfect but it was both mine and her first time with clippers (she was beautifully behaved and loved it!)

~i've since tidied up the bit near her back right leg in the photo where she is lying down :)

Im having trouble making her face the shape i want it

How can i make her face more round like the one sitting near the door without the bandana?

I think its too long looking at the moment...Ive probably cut off too much from some places and too little from others but cant figure out how to make it look like that again :(

post-54894-0-93637800-1481600899_thumb.jpg

post-54894-0-79627900-1481600939_thumb.jpg

post-54894-0-35779800-1481601087_thumb.jpg

Lif you have snap on combs that go over the clipper blade make sure the head and face and ears are clean and combed through. Fluff all the hair up a bit using your brush against the grain of the hair. Now be brave and put the light purple or maybe yellow comb on your blade and starting just above the eyes, clip over the top of the head front to back, then side to side moving into the ear hair where it joins the head, and keep going over the entire ear leather, inside & out, being careful to keep the comb flat with the ear leather and not run the edge of the ear I between the teeth on the comb. Now clip down the cheeks and around the entire muzzle. Basically move the clippers over the entire head, cheeks, muzzle and ears in the direction the coat grows.

I'll come back and see if I can explain it with pictures too, just have one more dog to groom!

Lif you have snap on combs that go over the clipper blade make sure the head and face and ears are clean and combed through. Fluff all the hair up a bit using your brush against the grain of the hair. Now be brave and put the light purple or maybe yellow comb on your blade and starting just above the eyes, clip over the top of the head front to back, then side to side moving into the ear hair where it joins the head, and keep going over the entire ear leather, inside & out, being careful to keep the comb flat with the ear leather and not run the edge of the ear I between the teeth on the comb. Now clip down the cheeks and around the entire muzzle. Basically move the clippers over the entire head, cheeks, muzzle and ears in the direction the coat grows.

I'll come back and see if I can explain it with pictures too, just have one more dog to groom!

That would be awesome Gruf...yep ive got all the blade combs (8 of them :p)

Ive only done her face with scissors so far - will have to put on my brave hat to use the clippers on her face - the first pic was done entirely with scissors (not by me though)

No idea. But how cute is she!!!!

No idea. But how cute is she!!!!

She really is. :heart:

To be honest I don't notice much of a difference between the two head shots. :laugh:

I think you've done a great job especially with making her comfortable with grooming. Well done!

Thank you - she is a little cute! :)

Counter-conditioning and desensitisation are my sort of speciality... so she is in love with all the grooming things and will come running if anyone is cutting their nails (I used human nail clippers on her for the first few months) or if i pick up her toothbrush, scissors, combs and now hair clippers :laugh:

Edited by mowgliandme

post-48894-0-16648600-1481607888_thumb.jpeg

Over the top, down the sides, down the ears, down the cheeks, down and around the whole muzzle. Go right around under the chin from each side. When you're done use your scissors and thinners to trim around the edges of the ears, and level off straggles under the chin, and smooth things out generally.

post-48894-0-33405400-1481608146_thumb.jpeg

Here's some I prepared earlier! Yours has coat more like the bigger one, done in the way I've described.. This was with the orange comb on freshly washed and fluffed up hair. Choosing one or two length bigger, yellow or light purple, will fill out a slightly rounder look. If you use the longest combs there will be too much hair and it will drop and not look so round. Hope this makes sense! Have fun.....

Wow thanks so much for the annotations and photos Gruf! :)

Will do that as soon as i give her a bath- right now its soo hot so she is being a sandy wet puppy jumping between the sand pit and her clam pool - definitely don't want sand in my brand new clippers :o

Another grooming question...how do you get all the clipped hair off your clothes?

I put the clothes i was wearing when i clipped her in the wash with my other clothes and now theyre all covered in dog hair too but most of its stuck on the grooming pants - in hindsight i should have at least brushed the hair off but it didnt occur to me at the time :(

And one more :D I still want to get a blade #30 for next time (used blade 10 this time) any brand recommendations? its a Andis agc2 super speed clipper, and Wahl stainless steel attachment combs...is Oster the best (then i can have one thing of each brand!) or will andis or wahl be better because they match my other grooming equipment?

Edited by mowgliandme

For hair already on the clothes try washing them again separately and using a tumble dryer to dry them.

For blades, personally I use Geib blades but any of those 3 brands you mentioned will be fine, esp a 30#. If you are ordering from a wholesale site like Petnetwork look for the grooming attire and get yourself a scrub top shirt. Otherwise just wear old clothes and wash them separately! I wear plastic scrub top & pants. I even have dirrent socks and underwear for work. No grooming clothes ever touch regular clothes!

Edited by Gruf

Thanks Gruf <3 ... i even have plastic scrubs - the things you remember afterwards!

I groomed her on the floor over two days (because i was just getting her used to clippers and standing still first)...ended up having to vacuum the whole house too because i let her run around while i packed up

Im really looking forward to next time now that i've got a little bit of extra smarts :)

Time to redo the washing!

I really like my Geib blade too. Very nice. I think my others are wahl. When I buy more I'll be getting Geib. I've got a 7F, 10, 15 and 30.

I've been working on removing the cockers teddy legs. Absolute disaster first trim. Looked like she had drumsticks for hind legs! Better this trim, really thinned out bits. Next trim hopefully will have better shape for the hinds.

I use a square vinyl covered table that folds down fully flat. Think it was around $20 a number of years ago. I got a number of cheap plastic tablecloths from spotlight and the place looks like a scene from Dexter when I set up to clip LOL

karen15 I'll look into if the Geib blade will work on my andis clippers - sounds like its the best one! :)

I havent quite figured out which shape i like most yet...i probably prefer the look of the more pyjama leg (straight down) but she gets pretty muddy when we go camping so its not the most practical for us, so she's got a bit more leg shape this time (bit drumstick like) but i'm totally smitten by her and think she looks good all the time :p

Ive also got a table that i can use for grooming in the future but i really wanted her to have the option of moving away in case she wasn't liking the clippers

Dont give your pup options ,you need to set the rules of grooming now ,pup goes on the table and that is where all brushing and grooming is done .

The floor is neutral territory .

Allowing pup to move away is rewarding that behaviour not conditioning to staying still and being safe plus your making the job way harder and longer.

It should take no more than 2 hrs to groom and bath ..

With a round face it's all about scissoring although it looks like a different coat texture in those photos which will happen with a crossbreed coat .

But in photo one more of the top has been left on with a visor look ,photo two the visor is trimmed off making a flat head and yes a longer beard but that is where the change of coat will need to be adapted to what will work ,.

All our showdogs are groomed with a mirror for help ,looking in the mirror to see the lines is a must and using a table being more at face level is a must

Dont give your pup options ,you need to set the rules of grooming now ,pup goes on the table and that is where all brushing and grooming is done .

The floor is neutral territory .

Allowing pup to move away is rewarding that behaviour not conditioning to staying still and being safe plus your making the job way harder and longer.

It should take no more than 2 hrs to groom and bath ..

With a round face it's all about scissoring although it looks like a different coat texture in those photos which will happen with a crossbreed coat .

But in photo one more of the top has been left on with a visor look ,photo two the visor is trimmed off making a flat head and yes a longer beard but that is where the change of coat will need to be adapted to what will work ,.

All our showdogs are groomed with a mirror for help ,looking in the mirror to see the lines is a must and using a table being more at face level is a must

Thanks for the tips showdog :) yeah i agree the visor and the beard are the main differences for the face shape

She pretty much did stay still for the whole time, I think she only moved away once and then she came straight back :) She's very happy for me to hold her by the muzzle or beard hairs and will also rest her chin in my hand until released so i think shes pretty easy to keep safe while being groomed?

My aim for her is to love grooming - it didn't take me much longer than 2 hours ...maybe 15 minutes or so longer but the hair drying took the longest (and then having to vaccuum the house :p) , everything else was pretty quick- think i may need a better hair dryer :S I will progress to the table next time with mirrors though now that shes comfortable with it all!

Re: hair texture type...its normally a wavy fleece, but its pretty straight after being blow dried (in the first picture) second/third picture is a few days of adventuring after the groom because i forgot to take one that day

Your dog will love grooming without given the options.

But the sooner you set the rules the safer the process is & the quicker you learn to be able to do all tasks on the table.

As a groomer we groom alot of dogs that are groomed on the floor at first & take time & patience to retrain into table manners especially young pups that start to play on the rules as they get older .

I would consider grooming the face a day after a wash if it goes back being tighter that way you are grooming to what it will look like not blown out & trimmed on a coat that isn't the ultimate finish .

Many breeds will be washed,blown out & spritzed to air dry to allow the natural look to return & trimmed to that finish as the final look can be very different .

I have groomed for a long time & its wa y easier to set the boundaries young whilst there small & manageable,your dog won't be big but the power & will come with age so its far easier to do things when little.

Remember the table doesn't have to be just about grooming.

All mine are taught from puppies the table is cuddle time,touch time,health check time & just the fun aspect of wanting to get in on it.

Thanks everyone for all the tips – got the look I was after! :D

Groomed her on the table this time with no issues

I can probably take a little bit more off the top but she gets a tidy up every week or so (nails, paw pads and eye hair etc) so will do it then

I think the main issue was the beard – when its short she looks very cheery (and I love it)! :)

And if its long (and longer on the visor too) she looks a bit serious to me

post-54894-0-15974300-1482038377_thumb.jpg

Guest crazydoglady99

Meanwhile.. completely OT.. I think you should post her pic in the 'what's with oodle' thread! She's such a cutie-pie!!

Edited by crazydoglady99