How Do You Prevent Fears? Like Fireworks?

mowgliandme

I didn't know that Corvus, about the 3-5 years being when sound sensitivities can occur. Do you have some reading could be punted to?

I am thankful for all our fears, the typical thunder/tools/sirens are not one of them. As the harder to control fears (can't stop thunder!).

Think you're doing a grand job raising her. Some dogs just like learning and knowing doing "the right thing" - perhaps she is one of them? When I started giving thistle rules and imitation NILF she really started gaining confidence. I reckon cause I was showing her what to do and not do

*edit. That was meant to be pointed. Punted works too.

Edited by Thistle the dog

I've had 2 dogs who were bad with thunderstorms/fireworks etc and now 3 who are fine with them. I don't think I did anything differently, just some of them were more highly strung/anxious and more likely to develop these fears I think.

Our puppy hasnt worried about thunderstorms. We had the shocking storms back at the end of September (the SA blackout) didnt care. Then a few weeks back there was a massive thunderstorm that hit. Older dog went all catatonic and she's getting narky coz he was ignoring her and wouldnt play. When we went to look outside (to make sure nothing was blocked as it poured down - roads were flooding). Older dog still sticking like glue because of the monster but the puppy well she wanted to go outside and play in the thunderstorm. The most she's reacted was a look of 'whats that' at a loud clap of thunder.

Fireworks hmmm well both dogs were in the house last week when there was fireworks at a school nearby but no one was home - think they were more concerned that no one came home to feed them til late. Older dog has usually just hidden inside in the past. Puppy doesnt seem to worry about his reactions to stuff like that. Moreso aggressive dogs yapping from houses on both sides when we are out on walks and lawnmowers. Lawnmowers are her greatest fear but we work on that when we can.

I think I might've stumbled onto corvus's point about being aware of arousal in dealing with my Annie's distress during thunderstorms.

By trial & error, I finally ditched the advice not to reward her panting & shaking with attention.

Now, at very first sign she's alerted to the rumbling, I pick her up, without fuss, put her on my knee & swaddle her in a cotton towel & just work on with what I'm doing. Firm hold on collar & just a gentle stroking. This stops her getting dramatically worked up... because then it seems to take a life of its own & be hard to stop.

This way, she's a bit anxious but her arousal level doesn't go thro' the roof for the duration of the storm.

Edited by mita

I think I might've stumbled onto corvus's point about being aware of arousal in dealing with my Annie's distress during thunderstorms.

By trial & error, I finally ditched the advice not to reward her panting & shaking with attention.

Now, at very first sign she's alerted to the rumbling, I pick her up, without fuss, put her on my knee & swaddle her in a cotton towel & just work on with what I'm doing. Firm hold on collar & just a gentle stroking. This stops her getting dramatically worked up... because then it seems to take a life of its own & be hard to stop.

This way, she's a bit anxious but her arousal level doesn't go thro' the roof for the duration of the storm.

Yes yes yes! :thumbsup:

Think of it this way, if you're terrified at the dentist and a friend comes along to hold your hand would that make you more scared of the dentist or would it just comfort you in the moment? On a related note there's a reason why doctors give lollies to kids when they have their shots. It doesn't make them more fearful.

You may like to read this from a board certified veterinary behaviourist: http://m.petmd.com/blogs/dailyvet/2009/June/09-4226#

And from the wonderful Patricia McConnell, a certified animal behaviourist: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/thunder-phobia-in-dogs

You may also like to try this: http://www.homeopet.com.au/products/storm-stress/

and this:

http://throughadogsear.com (Aus stockists available, also on iTunes, but do follow instructions for use)

Yes yes yes! :thumbsup:

Think of it this way, if you're terrified at the dentist and a friend comes along to hold your hand would that make you more scared of the dentist or would it just comfort you in the moment? On a related note there's a reason why doctors give lollies to kids when they have their shots. It doesn't make them more fearful.

PK, I'm only ashamed it took me so long to twig. While, at the same time, I'm a huge believer in being present for moral support for friends & family having scary procedures. I'm forever holding hands & having my hand held myself!!!!!

Thank you for all those links I shall follow all up.