Hip Scores

Bushriver

Is there a process to get a second opinion on hip scores? I sent X-rays away to be scored, the results came back ok but then they sent another revised copy with slightly changed scores. I feel like I would like a second opinion as that doesn't seem right to me?

Is there a process to get a second opinion on hip scores? I sent X-rays away to be scored, the results came back ok but then they sent another revised copy with slightly changed scores. I feel like I would like a second opinion as that doesn't seem right to me?

you can send your xrays to who ever you like, and as often as you like :laugh: I would never send xrays to Dr Lavelle, once was enough. I believe Dr Richardson? from WA is quite good.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update. I had the scores redone and there was a significant difference. Makes me wonder how accurate these tests are?

Can I ask who scored them the second time please. I am getting hip x-rays done next week and not sure where I will send them as my last lot went to Rawlinson.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

http://www.labbies.com/dysp2.htm

is worth a read, though there may be more up to date sources.  Here's a quote relevant to your question:

3) Other external factors influencing hip ratings...What day of the week the x-rays are reviewed?!?!

Subjective methods of evaluation can lead to unintentional bias and inconsistency for reproducibility of results. A study conducted at the University of Pennsylvannia revealed a startling amount of variability for hip interpretations among non-OFA and OFA board certified radiologists. When these radiologists were asked to grade hips based on the OFA rating system (excellent, good, fair, borderline CHD, mild CHD, moderate CHD or severe CHD), non-OFA readers agreed with an OFA reader in fewer than 50% of the cases. The most disturbing revelation was that when each radiologist was asked to rate certain cases a second time, each radiologist gave the same rating that he had given the first time on less than half the radiographs.

The X-rays that are currently used are exceptionally subjective. There are scorers that have a reputation for being 'low' and breeders discuss not using other readers because they score high. Whats the point of them if you are trying to cheat the system??

I will be doing pennhip as well as traditional X-rays. So I get both objective and subjective results. Then based on the results, and the value of my dogs genetics come up with a breeding plan.