Medications:

Loving my Oldies

On of my dogs, Tamar - Maltese Shih Tzu cross from a pound - has always been very timid from the day I collected her 12 and a half years ago. I estimated her to be about six months old, so in January she will be 13. I still call her my puppy.

Over the years, she didn’t change much, always timid even with me. I had to be very careful not to walk up to her quickly --- she still sinks to the ground. Visitors couldn’t pat her nor could people I met out walking the dogs. She was skittish and would hide behind my legs or get as far away as the lead would allow. Just my stepping on a stick and breaking it while walking would have her jumping and skitting away.

A few years ago, she started being incontinent in bed at night; never during the day, only in bed at night and then only every other night if that. She was prescribed Propalin and it was magic. Because she is tiny, the dosage was a tiny little drop administered by syringe. I commented several times to the vets what an amazing medication it was for such a tiny dose to have such an immediate and successful result.

However, Tamar’s timidity was getting worse and I was putting it down to her getting older, but it was really upsetting me. I hated to see her frightened and worried. A few months ago, I had to take Jeune and Bunter to the vet and, of course, took Tamar along for the ride. As it was only a couple of weeks since Danny had died, the vet and I had a fairly wide ranging conversation during which I happened to mention that Tamar was getting worse and how unhappy I was for her.

The vet said, “Propalin will do that.”

To put it mildly, I was stunned. The vet scrolled back through the notes on Tamar and there it was ---- how Propalin could make dogs fearful and skittish (my words as I can’t remember exactly what the notes said). I was really really upset and, honestly, I was nearly in tears to think I had been unwittingly giving Tamar medication that increased her fears. I have absolutely no recollection of being told about these side affects and I don’t believe I was because I would never willing give a dog of mine a medication that would exacerbate an existing condition. Anyway we have switched to Incurin which I give to her about every three days.

The point of the story is that Tamar is a different dog. She is happy, playful, other people who see her regularly have commented. When we stop to talk to people and they pat Jeune and Bunter, she pushes through to be patted, her groomer has commented, etc etc. She regularly goes trotting off downstairs and will wander happily around the back yard for ages, just sniffing, weeing and generally doing what dogs should do. She makes me laugh many times a day with her playful and puppylike antics. I came inside from sitting on the back step with her to tell this story because to see the changes in her mades me so happy.

I am partly comforted by the fact that she was on Propalin for only about two years, but even so, to see her now and to see the change in her in just a couple of months is both heartbreaking and joyous.

And here is the dirty girl after one of her forays into the garden --- she loves rubbing her face in the dirt :eek:

IMG_0648_zps3qusciwx.jpg

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Thanks for the heads-up. It'd be a horrible experience to find out that a med prescribed for your dog, is doing something horrible as a side-effect. I'm glad it got sorted & there was an alternative medication.

Thanks for the heads-up. It'd be a horrible experience to find out that a med prescribed for your dog, is doing something horrible as a side-effect. I'm glad it got sorted & there was an alternative medication.

Apparently, this reaction affects very few dogs, but when you are that one . . . . . . :(

Apparently, this reaction affects very few dogs, but when you are that one . . . . . . :(

I agree, DDD. That's the thing with stats. Might only be 1 out of a 100(or whatever) that cops a horrible side effect. But someone has to be that 1. And it's usually impossible to predict when the med is prescribed. Just have to wait & see how it goes.

Your experience is a reminder to check against side effects, even the less common ones.

I'm so glad she's feeling better. :)

It really highlights the importance of discussing behavioural issues / anxiety with one's vet, doesn't it, especially if it's worsening. And having a vet with at least a bit of knowledge of behaviour. Many don't and I really feel for the dogs left to suffer. :cry:

Hugs to you and Tamar. :hug: