Old Dog Grass Scratching

jerez89

I have a 13 year old (quite old!) German Shepherd called Harry. He is definitely slowing down and showing his age recently. He has begun to scratch at our lawn (grass) with his front paws to scrap away the grass and reveal dirt (then sometimes he sits down in it) I don't think this is because he's hot either cause he does this even in winter.

Why does he do this?

This is not related to when he defecates, this is just anytime. He seems very restless and possibly hurting? He has supplements for his arthritus but while he has slowed down, is still able to walk around our property quite well and even still has the ability to run up and down the fence when the garbage truck comes past.

Any ideas why he is doing this?

Thankyou very much in advance!

Josh

Edited by jerez89

I have a 13 year old (quite old!) German Shepherd called Harry. He is definitely slowing down and showing his age recently. He has begun to scratch at our lawn (grass) with his front paws to scrap away the grass and reveal dirt (then sometimes he sits down in it) I don't think this is because he's hot either cause he does this even in winter.

Why does he do this?

This is not related to when he defecates, this is just anytime. He seems very restless and possibly hurting? He has supplements for his arthritus but while he has slowed down, is still able to walk around our property quite well and even still has the ability to run up and down the fence when the garbage truck comes past.

Any ideas why he is doing this?

Thankyou very much in advance!

Josh

I know it might not be, but I wouldn't be dismissing arthritis just because he can run. Our neighbour's kelpie x lab is 12 and has bad arthritis, while they were on holidays we were going next door to see him a few times a day and I went over as it was about to storm badly and wanted to check he was out of the rain, he took a long time to get up and I needed to help him a bit. Then someone walked past the back lane and he sprinted off and ran up and down the fence... we joke that he's acting, but really his arthritis is bad but he's too stubborn/stoic and didn't want to let the pain stop him or complain to his people. :-(

Thanks guys! I definitely agree he has arthritis, he's feeling his age thats for sure! The 'hip hole' also? haven't heard of this, any ideas why he digs away in multiple locations and not just one? they're very shallow, just taking the top grass off

Josh there's a lot that can be done to keep them comfortable when they are arthritic. Supplements are just the first stage. Once those are less effective, they can get regular cartrophen injections, get a medication like meloxicam as needed at first but daily at the end, when meloxicam is less effective they can also get pain killers again as needed at first and more regularly as they are in more pain.

I loved the monthly cartrophen shots as I only had to pay for the shot, not a consultation, and the vet would give him a once over to make sure he was ok.

So I'd have a chat to your vet about a management plan and the different levels of treatment to manage the pain.