Has Anybody Else Seen This?

Over the past year, my 13 year old GSD has become increasingly "paranoid", retreating to the bedroom when we want to pat or groom her, or take her outside. (At other times - and particularly meal times smile.gif - she seems very happy, and she'll follow us outside while we're gardening or feeding the paddock-pets.) I attributed her odd behaviour to dementia, having seen paranoia in a human with early dementia.

She also has creeping hindquarters paralysis - possibly due to degenerative myelopathy, and a few weeks ago she developed slight urinary incontinence during night-time sleeps, for which the vet prescribed stilboesterol on a decreasing dose. Her behaviour improved dramatically: no more retreating to the bedroom, and she even started asking for attention. When the dose dropped back from daily to twice weekly, her behaviour regressed, although she's still better than she was.

Any suggestion on what's going on? We do need to collect a urine sample for testing (not easy with a paranoid dog) and I know UTIs can cause dementia-like symptoms, but I would not expect stilboesterol to treat a UTI, and certainly not as quickly as this happened.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

1482814391[/url]' post='6865484']

Estrogen has an impact on behaviour. Perhaps it's that? Either way, how lovely to have your girl feeling happier. :)

It is lovely to see her coming out of her shell.

I wondered if it was an oestrogen affect. I've just read some articles on its affects on women frown.gif but I think any possible risks are outweighed by the benefits for my GSD.

Estrogen has an impact on behaviour. Perhaps it's that? Either way, how lovely to have your girl feeling happier. :)

It is lovely to see her coming out of her shell.

I wondered if it was an oestrogen affect. I've just read some articles on its affects on women frown.gif but I think any possible risks are outweighed by the benefits for my GSD.

Absolutely, quality of life...