Unleashed Dog Charging Out

giraffez

I was walking my dog today and suddenly out of nowhere a dog ran out of the gate and charged towards my dogs barking. And so a bit of barking and chasing started. Lucky it was a small dog, if it was like a larger dog, I wouldn't know what to do and some injury could have happened.

I was wondering whether there is something i can keep on me to scare the other dog other in the future. Like a loud bike horn, would that work? Any suggestions?

If you were to do that, it would be very very important to desensitize / counter condition your dogs to the horn beforehand as otherwise you risk your dogs becoming fearful of other dogs (aversive thing happened while other dog was around = dogs are bad). And believe me you do not want that.

My advice would be to change your route if possible to avoid it happening again, because the more your dogs experience this the more likely they are to become fear reactive. But speaking generally...

My dog has a safety command to stand behind me if rushed by another dog. This puts him in a safer position and enables me to deal with the other dog. The past couple of times he's been rushed I also did the following.

1) stood firm, puffed out chest out kind of pose, hand in stop sign then pointing while roaring "GO HOME." I picture myself in my mind as if I could hold back a tsunami with my presence. I had asked nicely for dog to stop and go home first but he wasn't listening, and I didn't have any treats on me to do the following...

2) I carry treats most times, so throwing a stash of treats at / near the dog and away from you, then high tailing it out of there while the other dog is focused on finding the treats.

My preference is for (2) because it is less likely to make my own dog more fearful (having me roar at another dog is scary!) though you do have to consider whether you'd be inclined to come across the other dog again as it may see you and think "yay jackpot!" cue more rushing.

(As an aside, the last time I did the jackpot maneuver it was with a Mini Foxie circus dog! No joke! He escaped the enclosure he was sharing with the horses, donkeys and other animals to rush at my dog. Thankfully the circus people had secured their lions better! :eek: )

Oh and of course if a human is there I firmly tell them to call their dog. Most reply with "don't worry he's friendly!" which is usually code for, "sorry he's off leash despite having zero recall!" but sometimes they eventually do the right thing.

Seriously though, I'd change your route. The more negative experiences your dogs have with other dogs the more likely they are to become fearful and reactive and that's yucky for them to deal with and a pain for the humans too.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Imagine one of these off leash dogs charged at a kid on a pushbike for example, & the kid swerved onto the road to avoid the dog?

One of my many 'professions' over the years was as a postie. The amount of times that I was charged at by an off leash dog, followed by a cretin who'd say "Don't worry, he's friendly" was numerous. Idiots. Never mind that I nearly stacked swerving to avoid hitting the dog, often with a fully loaded bike.

Not only would I roar my objections at the dog owner, I'd report the incident to the local council every single time.

As a relief postie, I didn't often see the results of my complaint, but when I did go back to the same run, I'd smile to myself when I'd see the reported imbecile with his dog on lead on most occasions when I'd see the offenders again. (for some reason, it was always a man)

It would seem that most councils take these complaints seriously.

If you know the yard it came out of, report it to council. Personally I'd walk the same route again and be prepared to video the dog and send to council.

I hate loose dogs. My staffy was attacked on a walk one morning by a dog that got out of a yard that didn't usually have a dog. Council was brilliant. Dog declared dangerous that day. Helped someone saw it happen.

Ever since then I don't allow other dogs to approach mine. Minimum response from me is a very pissed off "get out". Dog continues to approach, well aimed kick gives owner impression dog is not welcome. I've had owners tell me my dogs look friendly. I tell them it's not the dogs they have to worry about, it's me.

My dogs go to park to play. They don't need off lead mongrels jumping all over them while we're going for a walk.

Best response I've had from an owner was an off lead dog approaching my horse on a ride one day. Horse was a skitty fellow and I patted his neck and said "don't worry, you can kill him if he gets too close......" Never seen a dog get put on a lead so fast :D

You can get something called a dazer http://www.dazer.co.nz/

You can get cheaper knock off ones but they are a bit hit and miss in their effectiveness. (I have a cheap knock off and if I was walking more dogs on a paid basis I'd lash out and get a better quality one).

As PK has pointed out with some choices you do need to desensitize your dog but I've found with the Dazer that it really only works on the dog its pointed directly at and apparently it works better on some breeds with more sensitive hearing than others. Eg if you point it at your arm, or behind your back the dog want really register it - you do have to point it right at the dog. We "tested" it on Scotties obedience class once and the only dog who's ears only flickered when we had it at a distance pointing away from all of them was a younger/youngish dobe. We didn't point it direclty at any of them in stun or alert mode.

Mine comes with two settings - alert and stun. Alert emits a lower frequency sound (which can't be heard by humans) and mine also flashes a light. I use it occasionally to "call" Scottie in from the yard at night - it's great for getting his attention. The stun is a different sound and I've never used it on Scottie. I have 'flashed' it at aggressive dogs running at me with a fence in between us - mine just gives them a second to stop and register that there is a strange noise - which lets me keep moving. I wouldn't rely on it to save me - but mine fits in my pockets and when I walk paid dogs / "clients" I tend to wear cargo pants with lots of things in the pockets (poo bags, treats, my purse) so it's not too cumbersome.

Then, above all else - change your route - like others have said. I know it's a pain in the arse for you - but I keep notes on suburbs where there high risks like this :( There is one suburb where there are two or three dogs who live in yards with gates open. One place with two big mastiff types who "know they're not supposed to leave the yard" - it's just not safe to keep tempting fate so whole streets are off the approved list of places I'll walk. I have a hard enough time convincing someone to put their dog back on leash in a pubic park - no way am I even going to bother telling someone they should restrain their own dog on their own property - despite what basic manners and safety might suggest is a good idea.

In 2016 this happened with some renting neighbours (strange people, never spoke to anyone in a street where we're all mates and just had a NYE street BBQ/party)

They had 2 border collies which one was quite sweet if you spoke to it quietly and I was very cautious how I moved near it. It would lie in the middle of the road and I frequently would let it back in its yard as it got shut out. But they also had over the course of the year about 6 or 7 pigging dogs kept in cages out the back, there was a huge maybe Dane x Arab x pitty or something which was escaping and scaring the kids and pooing in people's yards and owners couldn't care less. It was in the front yard next door and their kids were scared of it hiding in my yard, I was calm and not worried, I thought the kids were just scared because of what he looked like and he was huge, I calmly approached it (no eye contact and took a circle around it not straight at it) and was about 5m away and it growled at me and was being very aggressive. Had to report to council and the dog was taken away... had a few more incidents with their other dogs too but this fella was not a very nice dog. Would've been 50kg too, could stand up with his paws up on the fence and was pretty tall! Thankfully they've moved out.

Long story short we just avoid houses like that, not worth the hassle. Could carry some treats like previously mentioned or some sort of dog stopper. Silly string? Don't know if it's toxic, don't want to kill someone's dog...! I have a carabiner on our leashes so if I ever see a loose dog up ahead or something I use the carabiner to wrap the leash around a pole or similar and tie my dogs up while I sort out the other thing. (There were a few times a foxie got loose and I had to go and tell the owners because they couldn't find her)

how about a kids really strong squirt gun? One that sprays like a fire hose, assuming the little dog doesn't love playing with the garden hose.

A good squirt bottle on jet is better. Any kids guns with a good stream are chunky and need pumping to work. A bottle of rocks in an old soft drink bottle works well too - but again as PK said - you have to desensitize your own dog.

By the way - I seem like a total (and nasty) loon but I promise I'm not - it's just between working doggy day care (we used supersoakers) and having a kind of strange mate who spends her time thinking about this I seem to have acquired a strange working knowledge of this. Strange mate also advocates for large umbrellas to pop up and create large scary visual barrier. I personally prefer the Dazer as it's pocket sized.

Thanks all

Changing the route isn't going to help, theres nothing stopping another dog from running out on the other route. I've walked the route hundreds of times without an issue. And yesterday I was caught with unleashed dogs twice in one walk! What are the odds?!?

i don't want to harm the other dog in any way. Declaring it to council may lead to it being put down (esp since they deem it as dangerous) if it happens many times wouldn't it? To me, its not the dogs fault, its the idiot owners being careless. The dog shouldn't have to pay for the owners mistake.

I used to carry a squirt bottle with me, but the water pressure isn't all that powerful so when the dog is excited, i'm not sure its going to do anything. A squirt gun is a bit better but not very practical carrying on a walk.

Desensitising my dogs are not going to be easy. I don't have another outside dog to work with.

Thanks all

Changing the route isn't going to help, theres nothing stopping another dog from running out on the other route. I've walked the route hundreds of times without an issue. And yesterday I was caught with unleashed dogs twice in one walk! What are the odds?!?

i don't want to harm the other dog in any way. Declaring it to council may lead to it being put down (esp since they deem it as dangerous) if it happens many times wouldn't it? To me, its not the dogs fault, its the idiot owners being careless. The dog shouldn't have to pay for the owners mistake.

I used to carry a squirt bottle with me, but the water pressure isn't all that powerful so when the dog is excited, i'm not sure its going to do anything. A squirt gun is a bit better but not very practical carrying on a walk.

Desensitising my dogs are not going to be easy. I don't have another outside dog to work with.

No there's not but all you can really do is limit your exposure or chance of risk - changing route to one you feel more confident in - even walk it without your dog first. Yes - dogs will come and go and there might be one there one day and not the next but you're never going to 100% control your environment.

I'd be reporting it too. I saw my Papillon get rushed at, grabbed by the throat and given the death shake by a roaming dog. I'm not going to risk that happening again if I can avoid it!

In all likelihood the most the owner will get is a nuisance order on the dog stating that they must keep it on their property and on leash when in public, i.e. that they simply follow existing laws, and be fined if they breach that order.

Maybe if you are really worried about contacting council, you could do a letter drop to offending neighbours with the loose dogs. They might not know that it's that bad (seems like it's common near you?), and if you let them know that if it persists you will be forced to contact council which with a few offences could lead to dog being taken off them or pts. That hopefully won't have to happen but if the owners know what they are in for first they might try to stop the issue.

Someone was saying recently that they carry a can of Lynx deodorant for charging dogs.

Anyone who has lived with teenage boys will know how powerful Lynx is - I think it would stop an elephant - I know it used to clear our house :laugh:

The more dangerous type dogs that are intent on attack will not be slowed down in the slightest by a squirt of water.

Having witnessed many attacks over the years, one dog would not even let go off his victim even when grabbed by his testicles :eek:

Although I cannot stand dobbers, protecting the innocent going about their business does not a dobber make.

Reporting irresponsible owners will hit them where it hurts, in the hip pocket. It's the only thing that some people listen to.

If the dog is declared dangerous then so-be-it.

Highly unlikely a loose dog would be declared dangerous, unless it attacked someone.

Reporting to council is the easiest option IMO. Keeps you out of it and ranger can explain the rules and fines to the idiot owners.

The more dangerous type dogs that are intent on attack will not be slowed down in the slightest by a squirt of water.

Having witnessed many attacks over the years, one dog would not even let go off his victim even when grabbed by his testicles :eek:

Although I cannot stand dobbers, protecting the innocent going about their business does not a dobber make.

Reporting irresponsible owners will hit them where it hurts, in the hip pocket. It's the only thing that some people listen to.

If the dog is declared dangerous then so-be-it.

Yes, I think there are two different types of "loose dogs approaching" situations. Most of then time a good firm growly STOP or GET AWAY as you walk towards them and stomp your feet will work, at least to give you enough time to get away.

Or sometimes if the dog is insecure but is being territorial you can get away with talking calmly to it as you walk your dog/s away as quickly and calmly as possible - I've had that work with a fearful but aggressive local dog who half wanted to attack my dogs to make them go away but wasn't quite brave enough and once we were past her house she wasn't interested in following us, just wanted us gone.

A dog that's really intent on attacking probably won't be put off by much except physically stopping it. I've had a dog run out at full speed completely focused on getting at my smallest dog despite the fact that I saw it coming and started ROARING at it then kicking it while my bigger dog also kept charging and barking at it. Eventually I got hold of the dog's collar and a handful of scruff and twisted as hard as I could, lifting front feet off the ground and somehow got the lead of my little dog then got it around the attacking dog's neck in a slip lead and strangled it til it stopped. Eventually the owner came out and was a total jerk about it, I reported it to council because it was seriously intent on my dog.

In any situation I think your best option is always to focus on intercepting the other dog before it can get at your dog. And don't be afraid to sound like a crazy person yelling and carrying on, it's better to be a crazy person with a safe dog than a polite one with an injured or worse dog!

ETA an umbrella is a good idea, opening it to at least block the dog could help, or you could use it to hit the dog with, although I wouldn't have enough hands to juggle three dogs and an umbrella, and a carabiner on the lead is a good idea too if you are concerned about your dog running off. You could also carry a spare lead so you'd have it handy to slip lead the loose dog (notes to self should start doing that).

Edited by Simply Grand