Unleashed Dog Charging Out

giraffez

I have never had the presence of mind (or time!) to do anything but focus on where the dog is going to be in the next few seconds and trying my hardest to have us all somewhere else. If I had a few seconds to put a hand in my treat pouch or grope for a horn, I would be using them to put distance and preferably a road or barrier of some sort between us and the oncoming dog.

Good for you Simply Grand.

I've seen far too many people who just freeze in that situation.

"Sounding like a crazy person", lol. Yes, often it startles the attacking dog & takes it's focus off your dog, and at the very least, it will alert others, possibly the owner, to come running. People are usually good like that.

Yes, I've heard of an umbrella being used.

I used to have alot of dogs charging at my mare when I'd be out riding. I had several different tactics I'd use. Sometimes my very loud angry voice roaring at them to piss off was enough, other times I'd turn my mare on them and chase them and other times I'd crack the stock whip, and sometimes it was a combination of all 3 :laugh: .

Different story on foot though. I dont know what I'd do if a large aggressive dog came at me and my pack now, if I was unprepared. Probably try to lift my tiny ones up and we'd all be attacked :(

The last time a dog attacked us I ended up injuring Pennys neck because she was on a lead and I instinctively pulled her away from the attacking dog, then I tried to kick it and it went for me. I cannot stand aggressive dogs.

Yes, I've heard of an umbrella being used.

I used to have alot of dogs charging at my mare when I'd be out riding. I had several different tactics I'd use. Sometimes my very loud angry voice roaring at them to piss off was enough, other times I'd turn my mare on them and chase them and other times I'd crack the stock whip, and sometimes it was a combination of all 3 :laugh: .

Different story on foot though. I dont know what I'd do if a large aggressive dog came at me and my pack now, if I was unprepared. Probably try to lift my tiny ones up and we'd all be attacked :(

The last time a dog attacked us I ended up injuring Pennys neck because she was on a lead and I instinctively pulled her away from the attacking dog, then I tried to kick it and it went for me. I cannot stand aggressive dogs.

It's a horrible feeling - I was attacked about 18 months ago and my instincts said to pick Scottie up too - quite hard to fight with 10 kilos of dog in your arms. :(

I can't stand aggressive dogs either - don't understand why people can't successfully keep their dogs on leash and secured in yards - we bend over backwards to keep our gates locked and our yard secure.

At puppy school with my staffy, they said to drop the lead if your dog is attacked. Hardest thing I've ever done was to drop the lead and wait for an opportunity to haul a wolf hound off my dog. A smaller dog would have been really hurt. The staffy had a few superficial gouges but was otherwise ok. He got a terrible scare though. Luckily he was a happy friendly dog and got over it without becoming dog shy.

Now I've got two smaller dogs I tend to be very defensive. If they get grabbed I doubt they'd come off as well, so I try not to let other dogs get that close.

OK - if the dog approaches and its friendly I'll stop and it can approach us (and usually the owner is coming to collect - you make it easier by stopping).

IF however the dog is charging and is aggressive my dog is expected to stand behind me and I'll roar at it to 'git outta it' and to go home and stamp a foot hard on the ground. This usually makes them think. If they ignore me and rush my dog they WILL be kicked hard in the shoulder (shoulder seems more effective than gut).

I took Zelda to the river yesterday for the first time, one side is a beach.

Full of families and kids swimming and playing, not offlead, i put zelda on a long line in case she wanted a swim.

Two ladies further down the beach had 4 dogs , all off lead throwing balls into the water.

We decided to go the other side of them away from the families, so walked back up onto the footpath as i didn't want to walk straight past 4 offlead dogs so close.

The owners saw us way back, did nothing, kelpie came charging up the hill at zelda barking with hackles up, owner said " he's friendly" , i stood in front of Zelda who was cowering and trying to get away screamed at dog to "f%ck off!" and threw a kick at it, it backed off, owner then couldn't catch it, meanwhile second dog , old ,huge male cattle had ambled up the beach to us by now , but luckily was just sniffing around her and she play bowed to him .

The other two dogs were fine, one was a tiny cattle pup the other didn't move from other ladies side.

How hard would it have been to have grabbed them by the collar as we went past?

We moved to the end of the beach and Zelda had a great time on the long line zooming around the sand and bouncing in and out of the water.

Later another guy walked past with his dog offlead, straight through all the familes , and some of the kids were scared.

when we walked back along the beach to the car the other dogs had gone and i kept her close as we went past kids , i had lots of comments of what a lovely dog she was.

why do dog owners have to be such dicks, i did the right thing, my dog had a great time and i didn't annoy anyone either.

And i can confirm , Lynx is pretty powereful, teenage son here who uses it!

A lot of good suggestions, thank you all!

I think more than half the time, some owners don't realise that is an offence to have their dogs leashed. They think its within their property, the dog can do whatever. What they don't realise is how dangerous it can be when their dogs run out.

While i also heard that in the event of an attack, the best time you can do is drop your dogs lead. But I have been reluctant at the thought of doing that - not knowing where my dogs will run to (eg chased/chasing onto a busy road).

Just a thought, if there was an attack and one dog does get hurt.... whether its yours of the offending dog, what do you do? If the other dog gets hurt by self defence, would your dog be deemed dangerous?

I only have one way out of our street and have to pass two dogs which I would hate to see get out. A massive long haired German Shepherd who hangs his front paws over the fence while barking madly at anyone who walks past, and a Border Collie who gets his head out of his fence and slobbers while he barks. Both sounds like they'd kill you if they got out!

I'm constantly looking to see where I could throw my dog if they did come for us, on top of a car, over a fence, in a bin etc. It really ruins the walk when the dog and I have to scuttle past both ways and it annoys me neither owner ever seem to come out and shut their dog up or try and block the areas the dogs hang out in. I know its probably the only interesting thing each of them have to do each day but they work themselves up so much!

One of my dogs is now reactive after being rushed by a Staffy at the end of our street. When he was behind his fence he used to redirect frustration to his fox terrier buddy and then one day, joy, he was out free ranging and rushed us. Very scary and my poor Frenchie is paranoid walking that way at least five years after the fact and is ready to return home shortly past the top of our driveway now! :mad

Edited by Roova

A lot of good suggestions, thank you all!

I think more than half the time, some owners don't realise that is an offence to have their dogs leashed. They think its within their property, the dog can do whatever. What they don't realise is how dangerous it can be when their dogs run out.

While i also heard that in the event of an attack, the best time you can do is drop your dogs lead. But I have been reluctant at the thought of doing that - not knowing where my dogs will run to (eg chased/chasing onto a busy road).

Just a thought, if there was an attack and one dog does get hurt.... whether its yours of the offending dog, what do you do? If the other dog gets hurt by self defence, would your dog be deemed dangerous?

I asked that very question of our council when I made a complaint about some people who would sit in one of the parks and just drop the leads and let their aggressive little dogs run everywhere (one in particular had charged at us several times and the owner had a go at me when I was roaring at her dog - that was the only thing driving it back and I had a reactive dog and a very old dog on lead at the time).

Our council said basically our dog would not be the one in trouble as it was on the lead. However of course there would be the he said she said if it came to that regardless but if your dog is on lead and defends itself you and it cannot be at fault - so have your phone with you and if you need to take photos do so.

But our council was very good the lady I spoke to spent some weeks trying to catch the people I mentioned and when she did find them they were very contrite even when she explained that their dogs may be the loser if it came to a confrontation. In our area at the time there was the odd guide dog so there are more concerns beyond just walking pets.

SO as I see it just contact council - you can just send an email with concerns instead of making a formal complaint and both councils we have been in have tried to educate dog owners they wont just declare them dangerous on just getting out but they might just educate the owners of their obligations and what might happen (and what they might be liable for)

Our council said basically our dog would not be the one in trouble as it was on the lead.

But if you had to drop the lead in order for the dog to defend itself??

Also in the spur of the moment, I can't see myself being able to grab my phone and switch it to video mode to record the incident - even if i was calm and collected. I would be trying to get rid of the other dog from attacking my dog. I can't see how recording is a possibility.

Our council said basically our dog would not be the one in trouble as it was on the lead.

But if you had to drop the lead in order for the dog to defend itself??

Also in the spur of the moment, I can't see myself being able to grab my phone and switch it to video mode to record the incident - even if i was calm and collected. I would be trying to get rid of the other dog from attacking my dog. I can't see how recording is a possibility.

If my dog 'had to defend itself' said attacker dog would be being reported for attacking humans (ie me) and it would be a lot bigger deal than which dog was at fault. When I was 12 our family dog was attacked by the neighbourhood vicious dog (it would attack anything and would roam loose - it was eventually put down) - I wasnt strong enough to do anything and the only reason our 13yo dog wasnt killed was because someone drove up and got the thing off my dog. He bolted home and the only time he ever left me behind he was that scared.

There is no way in hell any other dog is going to attack any dog of mine without going through me first. Which is why mine are taught to stand behind me if approached by an aggressive dog - and I would never drop the lead if I had a choice.

And the last part of your question before - if the aggressive dog got hurt - I would be reporting the attack to council the second I got home. I'd also note any injuries no matter how minor on mine and tell them what happened to the other dog and Id be noting the whole incident then and there. As for at the time - I'd leave they can deal with their animal and I'd be taking the shortest path home.

Edited by rubiton

Totally agree with putting a person between rushing dog and your dog. Most dogs will think twice before going a person and I've found breaking their line of sight can be enough to stop the rush. However, once a dog gets on yours, holding the lead doesn't help your dog.

Our attack was totally out if the blue. Dog jumped through hedge. Approached friendly, said hello. No problem until we went to continue on our way, then it nailed my dog without so much as a growl. Prior to that it was wagging its tail and being polite. On a main road I'd have to consider options, but if I'd been holding my dog's lead I wouldn't have been able to haul the mongrel off him. That took both hands and a lot of strength. Fortunately it had a collar on and I pretty much choked it till it stopped. I had to wait for the right time to do that though. It had my dog pinned to the ground while it was chomping his neck.

After that, I don't let any dogs approach, regardless of how friendly they may seem.

We live in a northern Brisbane suburb notorious for moronic dog owners.

Everyday on our walks we encounter dogs off a leashs or people who walk there dogs on the right hand side of them...

Some of the solutions that have helped me in the past are as follows.

If you see an idiot from afar.

Ask your dog to sit and yell out to the other owner.

Friendly greetings go along way.

"Hey buddy, can you put your dog on a leash"

Followed up with a "thanks"

Always walk your dogs on your left hand side

So when passing another dog on your walk you have your companion on the left with two humans between the other dog.

The greatest distance possible.

Unfortunately most dog owners don't do this. Also thus why you see dog poo on most footpaths around town.

Walk your dog on a short leash so in the event of an attack or unwelcome greeting you can then hold them close to your leg whilst hyperextending your other leg to create distance from the other dog. Pushing it back with your foot and if that doesn't deter it than an increase in force may do the trick.

And also if your confident staring and asserting your dominance will go along way.

For worst case scenarios which I always have on my person, but have never had to use is a mechanics mini mallet.

It fits right in my back pocket and will deliver a solid blow if I'm ever in a tight spot.

You obviously can't carry around a weapon on you for legal reasons but you might have been using in to loosen something on your car earlier that day. ;)

Reporting the issue to council may lead somewhere but will in no way fix any spontaneous instances.

I've always found that being prepared for the worst case every time you leave the house will make for a more confident and enjoyable walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have several places where I train/run my dogs depending on time of day, holidays or not, weather etc. Dogs go in the back of the car - purpose built for them - and I train/exercise them singly or as a group depending on how much control I need. The Spaniels will go hunting and swimming if you lose connection!