Breed Pricing: English Bull Terrier

Megevans

Hey guys,

My name is Meg and I have recently been in contact with a breeder close by about purchasing from their new litter. We have been in contact for around 3 months and they had told me for a male puppy it would cost $1800. I received an email today to tell me that they got the price wrong and it was now $2200 as the semen they got in was from a very strong bloodline and the bitch was also from a pure blood line.... I'm pretty confused about this increase in $400 as this is my first Bully and I really don't want to be screwed around because I'm a newbie to this. Is this a normal thing to happen? There are 10 pups in the litter and that would mean they are charging an extra $400 per puppy x 10. Is this unrealistic? I'm really confused and need some guidance I'd appreciate anything at this point before I decide on the purchase. Thanks so much.

Its pretty disappointing when that happens but in the end, as the breeders they can pretty much do what they want. Its up to you to decide if you want pay the extra money or not. I personally don't think it's ethical, they've had plenty of time to think about what to sell the puppies for and if they've quoted you a fee, it seems wrong to put it up now.

I checked the Bull Terrier club of NSW info and I would be asking the breeders if your $2,200 covers them testing their breeding dogs for known hereditary health problems such as:

* Deafness (Unilateral & Bilateral)

* Heart Disease

* Nephritis* Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)

* Luxating Patella

* Primary Lens Luxation (PLL) - Bull Terrier (Miniature) only

More info on this page: Link to club page

Updated to say there's a few breeders selling puppies on the dogzonline puppy page but not a single one mentions testing for these health problems so not sure whats going on there? Heres a link if you want to see what else is out there in NSW. Don't discount other states through its cheap and simple to fly puppies from elsewhere nowadays: http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/bull-terrier.asp?state=NSW

Edited by Roova

I don't know what the going price is for a Bully but I find that suspicious. Of course the Mum is from a pure blood line; or should be. Are they are registered breeder? I have myself, previuosly given a ball park figure for a litter but the bitch hadn't even been bred at the time. I'd never change my price once pups were on the ground. They knew what semen they were using when the bitch got pregnant. I'd be checking that they are registered breeders with their state's governing body, I'd be seeing if the is a breed club in your state, I'd want to see proof of any health tests they have done. A breed club would be able to help you know if and what health tests should be undertaken on the parents and on the pups i.e do mainly white pups need the Baer? hearing tests?

personally - I would avoid any breeder of bull terriers in Oz that calls them "English Bull Terriers"

Cos that's not their Australian breed name. It's just "Bull Terrier".

In SA there is a bull terrier club - if I wanted one I'd start with asking members of that. They can be an awesome dog. But there have been a lot of genetic problems - especially heart disease leading to very short lives (around 10 years) with miserable old age.

Thank you so much for all of your replies they have been so helpful!!! I am currently waiting on an email from the breeder with the answers to a few questions some photos and hopefully can get the puppy for around $2000 instead. I really appreciate all of your quick replies I'll be sure to post on here when I have any other questions. Thanks again! Meg

personally - I would avoid any breeder of bull terriers in Oz that calls them "English Bull Terriers"

Cos that's not their Australian breed name. It's just "Bull Terrier".

In SA there is a bull terrier club - if I wanted one I'd start with asking members of that. They can be an awesome dog. But there have been a lot of genetic problems - especially heart disease leading to very short lives (around 10 years) with miserable old age.

I can understand why they had added the word "english"

I do microchipping and many of the puppies I have been asked to chip were described as Bull Terrier's, but were in fact pit bulls. Honestly who could mistake the difference in their faces?

soon as bsl came in those with pittys deleted the pit from their description to avoid problems with council registration.

there is a lot of slight of hand in names these days.

saw a brindle blue frenchie and it has full blue main registration papers. they know it cant be shown because blue is not an accepted colour and they do know it couldnt be main registered if its papers said it was blue, so on the registration papers it simply says brindle is the colour, there is no mention that it is blue, they also have a chocolate, also main registered. wonder how long before the colours are accepted?

I remember as a kid no one admitted their border collie had ever produced a blue, chocolate or gold, now they are everywhere and winning as well

Alot of people don't call them by their real name, English, and Roman nose often gets thrown into the mix, good breeders call them by their real name.

The one i have now is exactly what i have been after for a long time,( not the one in my signature ), good lines, good movement, rock solid temp and the must have clown personality, she comes from a breeder whose dogs i had seen alot of and never a bad one, it turned out her dad was a dog i saw regularly at the funday which i was even happier about.

I have had very unhealthy ones since coming to Aus,when i lived in the UK , never had any with health issues.

Edited by juice

Oh, she is gorgeous Juice! Love her mum tum. :love:

To the original poster, good luck with your puppy, make sure the breeder has proof of health testing, you are paying thousands of dollars, you want to make sure you are getting a pup from healthy lines. Research everything. :laugh:

I've never owned one that wasn't a complete clown , I just found Zelda standing in the dark in the cupboard as I left the door open , she makes me chuckle everyday ????

Teebs , you know you want another , Zeldas breeder has a tri pup left ????

I've never owned one that wasn't a complete clown , I just found Zelda standing in the dark in the cupboard as I left the door open , she makes me chuckle everyday ????

Kaos isn't the best at the moment and I think this winter is going to really hit her hard. As much as I want a puppy, we have decided to let her live her old age out in peace

She is still also dog aggressive and I would hate for her to ruin a new pup. :(

Kaos isn't the best at the moment and I think this winter is going to really hit her hard. As much as I want a puppy, we have decided to let her live her old age out in peace

She is still also dog aggressive and I would hate for her to ruin a new pup. :(

Poor Kaos, hoping that the winter treats her nicely. It's sad seeing dogs get old :(

Wishing the OP good luck with their pup!