Registry, Regulation & Standard Code Of Practice In Boarding Kenne

Scrappi&Monty

Whilst i agree in theory & yes im a boarding kennel owner there is no way i wont the RSPCA involved,they can't even do things right legally themselves nor do there job properly .

Fully agree

Edited by OSoSwift

The RSPCA (at least in NSW) are very much "do as we say, not as we do" when it comes to managing kennels... has anyone seen their facilities in Yagoona? Funny how they actively avoid letting people visit their kennel blocks... there is a reason...

Let's face it, when you feed animals, they poop and pee... and keeping on top of that is what we staff that work in kennels are fully aware of. It's so frustrating to bust a gut meticulously cleaning a kennel or run only to have the animal go back in and lay a huge steaming one on your nice clean floor... grrr! Even more fun when you have the ones who think running through it and spreading it everywhere is the order of the day... *sigh*... you aren't only washing the kennel, but the animal too... daily!

Keeping on top of cleaning, exercising, checking body condition, hand feeding Pookie their special diet from their own special bowl, or making sure medications are given at their designated times of the day are things kennel staff have to be on top of every minute of their working day... no mean feat when it's peak boarding season and the kennels are full to capacity.

Good boarding facilities make sure they have enough staff to cover the workload at all times... and that is what makes all the difference.

Note: there will be times when "Pookie" will have to share space with his/her own excrement... but we do our very best to make that time as short as possible, OK?

T.

The RSPCA (at least in NSW) are very much "do as we say, not as we do" when it comes to managing kennels... has anyone seen their facilities in Yagoona? Funny how they actively avoid letting people visit their kennel blocks... there is a reason...

Let's face it, when you feed animals, they poop and pee... and keeping on top of that is what we staff that work in kennels are fully aware of. It's so frustrating to bust a gut meticulously cleaning a kennel or run only to have the animal go back in and lay a huge steaming one on your nice clean floor... grrr! Even more fun when you have the ones who think running through it and spreading it everywhere is the order of the day... *sigh*... you aren't only washing the kennel, but the animal too... daily!

Keeping on top of cleaning, exercising, checking body condition, hand feeding Pookie their special diet from their own special bowl, or making sure medications are given at their designated times of the day are things kennel staff have to be on top of every minute of their working day... no mean feat when it's peak boarding season and the kennels are full to capacity.

Good boarding facilities make sure they have enough staff to cover the workload at all times... and that is what makes all the difference.

Note: there will be times when "Pookie" will have to share space with his/her own excrement... but we do our very best to make that time as short as possible, OK?

T.

Yes that is very understandable. Of course there are going to be accidents needing cleaning, and sticking on top of that is hard. I know there are plenty of kennel owners like yourself that put a lot of love & care into your business & your customers. Then there are seriously inferior kennels that are either over capacity so staff can barely handle them, or the owners somehow manage to do things which seem quite hard to do accidentally... Like let that dog die of heatstroke (would have to be very hot in that kennel for that to happen), and the dog would be panting and acting funny so you'd definitely notice even just walking past I should think. Or there was also one where the dogs all got let offleash together to play, and surprise surprise a dog got mauled. I'm sure nothing like that would happen at your own kennels! And whilst you definitely don't want anyone coming and running your show, there are certain establishments that need it I believe. Not necessarily the RSPCA in my opinion either, but something along the lines of a standard would be an improvement to take away the vastly different standards of kennels. I've heard some of you are losing business due to people opting for pet sitters instead to save the hassle and worry too, perhaps this could help? I'm not sure.

Whilst i agree in theory & yes im a boarding kennel owner there is no way i wont the RSPCA involved,they can't even do things right legally themselves nor do there job properly .

Fully agree

No I agree. I don't know RSPCA would do a good job, let alone have resources, but I was thinking maybe the standard so you could run your own business but would avoid the dodgy kennels being able to run? I'm not sure, how do you currently start/own a kennel? I imagine you have to buy a license but do you need to prove anything like your quality of care? Also you would need council approval for kennels to be built to a certain standard I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

Victoria already has Boarding Kennels under a registration system... It is called the Domestic Animal Business... (mind you there were still regulations before this came into effect but now they have just make it more complicated)   -   it is overseen by local council... and to get a DAB then the council Officer inspect and consider each facility against a code of practice... Business such as Pet Sitting also requires a DAB but generally there are plenty of people who go on Facebook setting up for pet sitting and don't follow any of the protocols.

In NSW I suspect there are already regulations that determine boarding kennels - again by Councils. After all if you want to run a business (or even just want to have more dogs than allowed by local laws you need to go to council and get a permit. That means that you have to show you meet the requirements.

Oh and by the way the new regs for DAB for Boarding Kennels actually decreased the minimum amount of space required for a dog. (I suspect that the Dept of Ag got consultants who just went to one of the biggest commercial kennels and then used what they had as the minimum standards).... Unfortunately it now means that any new kennel that sets up can actually buy a factory and build pens that are the minimum 4.2sqm and leave the dogs in the vinyl and pretty coloured concrete walls.

No way I want the RSPCA having the control over us... after all this is just a way for the RSPCA to look at getting more funds.

• 2 weeks later...

I started a kennel in WA.  That was 12 years ago, and rules may have changed.  WA had prescriptive rules regarding space per dog, slope and surfacing of floors, and drainage.  These were mindless in a way: they made no allowance for the fact that a tiny lap dog requires less space than a high energy herding or hunting dog or giant breed.  They did an annual inspection.  Not really adequate, as kennels knew in advance about the inspection date, giving them ability to move excess dogs (very common with mixed breeding/boarding kennels) and make sure things were spiffy clean.  There is a lot of room for improvement in such regulations.  There are bad breeders and boarding kennels who routinely violate the standards that would seem to rise out of common sense. 

It's hard to legislate and enforce common sense.  For example, putting a severely DA dog next kennel down from a shy dog may be torture.  Senior dogs on the decline require special treatment, but it varies greatly with the individual dog.  Sanitation is easy for some dogs, and a BIG problem with the occasional dog that insists on pooping in its bed or feeding dish.

While there are some breeding and some boarding kennels that do things wrong,re

There will always be some bad actors.  Many of them know how to dodge regulations.  Codes of practice with occasional inspections may prevent some abuses, but mindless or over-restrictive codes (eg., rules that legislate against keeping bitch and pups in the house, rules that demand the same space for a chihuahua as for a Dane) are going to drive out some of the best and bring down quality of care.  In some places the RSPCA may be decent . . .in other places, ideological and dogmatic.

Would add, that the worst abuses in kennels take place over Christmas break.  If anyone is serious about curbing abusive practices, snap inspections over Christmas would be a good way to do it.  They'll have to tolerate a bit of mess here and there . . . cause very few kennels can keep 100% clean when at full capacity.

• Like 1