A Child And Her Dog

asal

think there will be two trains of thought.

amazing patient family dog

or

how could the parents let her use him like that.

me, I think that dog is adorable and that little kid is going to be pretty smart to even think outside the square and realise a tail would make a good paintbrush

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the dog is over enthusiastic

I know no one would be able to use my misty's tail or Bindi's, they would be wagging way to fast for a child to catch, as for bindi, the paper would have been stolen and those paints been scatters to the four winds in about 3 seconds if that as the paint pots were thrown and retrieved over and over again.

although the patience of some animal with a young child can astound you. found my toddler trying to milk my jersey one morning, Zardi was standing with a strange look on her face and one jaw twisted sideways. then I realise sitting beneath her was my toddler, holding a teat in both hands and trying to wring the milk out of it into a cup in her lap. Zardi didn't move a muscle save her jaw. still didnt move as I pulled her tormentor out from under her. she earned herself a home for life, just like daughters pony fluffy who we only just lost a day short of 36

Zardi wasn't in a bail or even haltered she was in her own paddock free to walk away.

I watched that dog carfeully in the video it showed no sign that the child may have been hurting its tail before I decided to share the video

Edited by asal

Just because an animal is able to be so patient doesn't mean it is fair on them.

I am fairly certain all 3 of my dogs would sit still and allow my toddler to use their tail as a paint brush, but it is my responsibility to my dogs to ensure they are treated with some respect, and not made to do unpleasant things just because they are too gentle to lash out.

Am I the only one who thought that the parent could have gotten the kid a proper paint brush in the time they spent videoing?

Didn't think the child particularly smart as they failed to realise they needed to move the paints closer so the improvised brush could reach.

These videos always put me on edge as the parents are not teaching their children the correct way to interact with animals. Its those same parents, when dog finally says enough is enough stop doing that, who put up the regrettable FTGH ads as dog has acted in a way that has frightened their child, and kid comes first, they can't risk it.

I see so many child and dog videos that are, quite frankly, frightening.

It's a reflection of todays society that people video instead of stepping in and doing something. They do it at accidents etc

Edited by karen15

Nup, while tolerating it the dogs ears are back and there's some leg movement which makes me think its not as comfortable as some might think.

These videos always put me on edge as the parents are not teaching their children the correct way to interact with animals.

^ Yep this. And as a former Speechie, any child using living creatures as inanimate objects in this way with no interaction with the dog I'd be having a much closer look at... :(

I think kids should be taught to respect and interact with dogs.

I think you have to teach the teach the dog to respect and interact with kids too.

I agree the dog was not totaly comfortable and I may have stopped it sooner. But depends on what I know of the dog and kid. I think its a part of the socialization to teach a dog that patience is expected with kids, and to look to the adult ifs its really to much to expect.

They have to understand whats expected, if you're attentions not on them for any reason. Just my view.

It was no worse than annoying pups playing with a tail gently mostly. If I thought kid might pull or hurt, I would at least be directing that hand.

Edited by moosmum

Well, I finally decided to watch it.

I honestly think people can be a bit precious. Of course we have to teach children to have respect and care for animals generally and the pets in their lives in particular. However, the dog was singularly unconcerned. It might have indicated a couple of times, “Jeez what I go through for this little one,” but I don’t think it exhibited anything more than that. If it was a human, it would have shrugged its shoulders and continued reading his book.

As for the little girl not being smart. I thought she was very smart and she tried a couple of times to drag the paint box over and eventually succeeded.

The dog was not being “used” or “abused” (rolly eyes laugh.gif) , the little girl was enjoying herself immensely and showing imagination and lateral thinking.

My biggest issue is how does the child tell what dogs are OK to do this and what aren't?

When I see photos of kids crawling all over dogs it makes me sick, awesome,your dog is OK with that. But what's to say that the next dog the child sees will be?

It's just not worth the risk.

I rather teach my kids to respect dogs, just because they will out up with something, doesn't mean they should.

My biggest issue is how does the child tell what dogs are OK to do this and what aren't?

When I see photos of kids crawling all over dogs it makes me sick, awesome,your dog is OK with that. But what's to say that the next dog the child sees will be?

I rather teach my kids to respect dogs, just because they will out up with something, doesn't mean they should.

That little girl has probably been taught to respect dogs in general. We can be pretty sure from that video that the parents know their dog and their child.

You have to know how to tread the line between teaching respect and teaching fear. Teaching fear is just about the worst thing you can do to a child.

Human beings do terrible terrible things to children (many of these human beings are in their own family). Do we teach our children to be frightened of all human beings?

I believe even small kids are WELL able to distinguish between their own dog and a strange dog :)

once again .. it is up to parents to instil respect and knowledge .

As kids, we used to do all sorts of things to our dogs ... but would NEVER attempt to try anything on one of the working dogs , let alone a dog we didn't know. Why is it so hard to teach this nowdays?

We knew we'd be snapped at by the dog , or chastised by a parent if we did the 'wrong' thing ..simple consequences .So we learned ...

I'm a bit in both groups really, it was a simple fun thing that showed a little kid using their imagination, and she was being supervised.

On the other hand, I agree that dogs should not have to put up with kids pulling tails etc.

Seems she has another dog buddy to play with as well, they'd have to be the most chilled out dogs ever.

Another vid

I'm a bit in both groups really, it was a simple fun thing that showed a little kid using their imagination, and she was being supervised.

On the other hand, I agree that dogs should not have to put up with kids pulling tails etc.

Seems she has another dog buddy to play with as well, they'd have to be the most chilled out dogs ever.

Another vid

what a seemingly great household in which to grow :)