Do You Feed Eggs To Your Puppies?

Stitch

I usually only feed eggs ie. scrambled to my adult dogs every now and then but I notice that my new pup (10 wks) seems to love them.

Our chooks produce lots of eggs so I am hoping that they are something that pups can tolerate well without developing allergies to them.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who feeds eggs to pups ie. how much & how often etc.

Scrambled eggs was on a list of suggested foods provided by the breeder of my parents' puppy. The puppy hasn't developed an egg allergy at 9 months.

As to frequency... I don't know. The breeder had on the list scrambled eggs, kibble, canned food, mince and veggies, chicken necks and milk before bed. 6 meals a day.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

My lot get fresh eggs about three times a fortnight. I put a whole egg (slightly cracked) in whatever their dinner is that day. Most of them eat shell and all. :)

Except for the Diva puppy,who has decided that eggshell is not for eating, it is for batting around the floor to leave slimy egg white snail trails. :(

I include on the diet sheet scrambled eggs once a week, do not use ordinary or puppy milk in the mixture, great believer in goats milk, the puppies are fed them from six weeks old, but remember only once a week, they just love them. :)

I have read (and have never found the reference since) that if you feed raw eggs - including the shell - you can't over feed them. Raw, including the shell is 100% balanced, high in protein, calcium & tge shell counters something in the egg (one of the B vitamins i think). I've never tested the theory but it kind of makes sense to me.

In winter I feed them (cooked) to Scottie fairly often as he doesn't like them raw. I just fry them sunny side up with the smallest amount of coconut oil then mix it into his kibble so its all warm & gooey. He loves it. That counts as his meat / protein for that meal.

Fairly off topic - I've never understood why scrambled would be better for humans or dogs as you add milk (and other things for oeople) but so long as you dont smother them in oil, fried is just 100% egg....

My both my parents have fed eggs to dogs for years & mum often mixes an egg flip (egfs, milk, so on) kind of thing for her pups when they're starting on solids.

(Edit: Scott is obviously not a puppy)

Edited by Scottsmum

I have read (and have never found the reference since) that if you feed raw eggs - including the shell - you can't over feed them. Raw, including the shell is 100% balanced, high in protein, calcium & tge shell counters something in the egg (one of the B vitamins i think). I've never tested the theory but it kind of makes sense to me.

I wonder if you are thinking of this piece on eggs by Dr Bruce Syme?

http://www.mypetware...gs-eat-raw-eggs

I feed my dogs and pups raw eggs, shell and all about once a week or when we have plenty of excess from the chooks. They may sneak the occasional one or two from my toddler when she decides to check for eggs. It's very funny. They all know to follow only her when she heads to the chook pen as she prefers to feed them to the dogs rather than bring them back to the house!

My adult dogs get an egg most days, usually raw. I have heard not to routinely feed more than 1 per 10 kg body weight per day but not sure of source. Anyway at 30 and 40 kilos I am well within that. With puppies don't overdo it.

I know Maremmas (not mine) including litter of pups now 12 weeks old that eat eggs ad-lib, large quantities, and seem perfectly okay no problems. I used to feed eggs regularly to our dogs because of good supply - didn't notice any problems.

However my vets said recently they are anti allowing dogs to eat any eggs, fresh or cooked, and would prefer they weren't given any at all. They were well over how professional opinion is divided. So I don't feed any - Rheneas might steal one from a nest now and then, not often.

I forget the science of it, was more interested in accepting vet's advice than looking into the techy reasons for it. From lots of eggs to no eggs, haven't noticed any difference in condition or general health (except they are both now in the 16-17 years age range, so all the health glitches that often go with the age group - sight, hearing, stiffness etc).

Piper (the Rottie) used to eat lots of new-laid eggs, mostly un-cracked, swallowed whole. We lost her to bone cancer at 14 years, don't think there was any connection but who knows.

You don't need to feed them cooked/scrambled. I'm pretty sure raw eggs would retain the most nutrients than something cooked. Plus dogs love them raw. I crack one in his food bowl as a treat or daily supplement if I'm low on meat, shell and all. He loves it, always has.

We don't have free range fowl anymore ..but in teh past our dogs have eaten copious quantities of eggs ..fresh /stolen and wonderful . We didn't ever see any problem .. one old dog used to find nests and eat maybe a dozen in a sitting ... apart from the smell next day .. no problems .

Yes Perseph that's my experience, puppies to oldies. And going cold-turkey with eggs for dogs on the vet's advice wasn't that I totally believe the reasoning. I trust the vet I use to know better way better than I do for 'most' things, and don't like to cherry-pick the advice, I take all of it (in case the bits I think "oh won't worry about that" come back to bite me on the bum).

edit: too hot, can't spell.

Edited by PossumCorner

Yes Perseph that's my experience, puppies to oldies. And going cold-turkey with eggs for dogs on the vet's advice wasn't that I totally believe the reasoning. I trust the vet I use to know better way better than I do for 'most' things, and don't like to cherry-pick the advice, I take all of it (in case the bits I think "oh won't worry about that" come back to bite me on the bum).

edit: too hot, can't spell.

was it a worry about Salmonella?

My lot get fresh eggs about three times a fortnight. I put a whole egg (slightly cracked) in whatever their dinner is that day. Most of them eat shell and all. :)

Except for the Diva puppy,who has decided that eggshell is not for eating, it is for batting around the floor to leave slimy egg white snail trails. :(

Hahaha sounds familiar! Ours like raw eggs. They would like them cooked too I suppose.