Runny Nose ,bleeds, more than allergy now

juice

About 6 weeks ago Zelda started to have a runny nose, like dripping a big globule from her nose in the mornings so i tried giving her a Zyrtec and within 12 hours it had gone away.

I continued for a week, all was good, then stopped and the runny nose came back so i used it again. however she was like a zombie on it, just slept 24/7 so a few weeks ago i stopped it and she was fine until yesterday when i got up in the morning she had this big blob hanging fromn her nose and drops all around her bed . This morning is the same.

I don't want her doped up on Zyrtec although it seems to work, is there something else that doesn't make them drowsy, or if i take her to the vet what are they likely to prescribe, steriods?

Edited by juice

• 2 weeks later...

When my girl was diagnosed with allergic rhinitis (hayfever) she was put on a course of Iridine from the vet.

If human grade meds can be substituted I prefer to give them as they are usually cheaper than getting meds from the vet....so I asked the vet what I could use.

He gave me the active ingredient and my detective work found that I could buy Loratadine over the counter at the pharmacy.

I give 1/2 to 1 tablet daily just before she goes to bed at night so any drowsiness is gone by the morning.

It works for her. 

Thanks for advice . She had a massive nose and mouth bleed and Mucas started coming from her nose after . So we have been in and out of vets and she had to go under as they thought she had an obstruction so did a flush , X Ray's , took bloods , and Mucas culture . Nothing came out and results were bacterial infection . So on antibiotics and steroids , but still got runny nose . Next step is Rhinoscopy . 

Edited by juice

Thanks for that . Yes they said fungal infection , obstruction or tumour . My worry now is anastetic so close together . She is only 4 and has had 4 already ( 2 ceasers) , and 2 now with me in last 12 months . ( desexing and this one ) . Initially i was panicking as they are suggesting Sash for rhinoscope , and quoted min $3000 . But I have contacted another practice that does it way cheaper , except vet who performs it not back from holiday till feb. 

can they see fungal infections then or did they Swab further up using the scope ? Did the infection go ? 

The vet couldn't really tell what it was until he did the scope, took biopsies and swabs. We had to have it done twice to confirm she was completely clear, also she had her elongated palate trimmed under the second anaesthetic. In total I think we paid $3000.

It all cleared up but it did thicken the nasal cavity because it went on too long, normal vet kept treating for allergies which masked the actual problem.

Thanks, i'm thinking the scope is the only way to go.

The vet has prescribed a month of antibiotics and 10 days on pred x, but she is drinking alot, starving and acting really anxoius and won't settle ( all side effects of the pred) , and nose is still running, so going to call and see what exactly the pred is supposed to be doing.

I'm also researching insurance for after this!