RSPCA Report- do you remember a litter euth'd for shyness?

denali

5 hours ago, denali said:

All of these stories make me so angry. 
I am also not a fan of the RSPCA

With the amount of money they get- if they  had the mindset of most small rescues everyone would be better of. 

If the RSPCA was doing what people thought it was supposed to do there would be no need for all these small rescue groups - the RSPCA would already be on top of it! Instead rescue groups for every type of animal you can imagine have popped up to do the work the RSPCA wont or dont. The majority do it without millions of dollars in public and government funds. How they keep getting away with it I don't know because they are legislated to do a job they clearly aren't doing.

And SG - they might be separate entities but they have the same or very similar legislated expectations otherwise they couldn't come under the RSPCA bannerhead. It's not like a franchise where anyone can decide to open up a service arm using the same name. It's their core functioning that I disagree with - Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Where is the prevention part?

Edited by Little Gifts

This is off their main organisation page. I wouldn't mind seeing their KPIs on 'actively promoting care and protection'. I have never heard of them being the go to organisation in relation to farming practices either and I suspect the national events they talk of are fundraising activities rather than educational. If some states are better fundraisers than others you would also expect more programs to be offered in those states, resulting reduction in abuse/abandonment/euth/rehoming stats. Not sure I noticed anything of that nature in the last annual report but maybe I missed it? It's a grand money making business plan - we should all buy shares!

What We Do

whatwedo.jpg?itok=9LfVV_FB

The RSPCA is a community based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection.

RSPCA Australia is a Federation of eight independent State and Territory RSPCA bodies called member Societies. RSPCA member Societies do much of the hands on work traditionally associated with the RSPCA such as the operation of shelters and the Inspectorate plus community education and fundraising.

RSPCA Australia’s National Office is home to a strong science and campaigns team, with a particular focus on farm animal issues. RSPCA Australia is responsible for facilitating many of the national events and campaigns, and promoting the interests of animal welfare with Government and industry.

This Ashton is the man who shot Ruth Downeys cattle and here killed another 76, when even their own employees resign rather than countenance the slaughter surely something HAS TO BE DONE to give owners an avenue of appeal against the sociopaths drawn to this job because they discover  a job where they are unaccountable?

https://video-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/13121004_1595114640815674_1086994242_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=50fbbb0376e87c243d5279a651f0762a&oe=58862B1A

Edited by asal

On 17/01/2017 at 2:55 PM, Simply Grand said:

I have said this before on DOL and some were unaware so just posting again for info. NOT trying to defend or justify any actions, I don't know anything about any of the stories posted.

RSPCA is a separate organisation in each state/territory. There are differences, apparently vast, in how the different states/territories operate. SOME states/territories work together to try and operate under best practice, innovate and produce best results for thry animals. Others apparently don't. Some states are apparently very profitable, others are not and put their money back into animal care.

RSPCA AUSTRALIA is an administrative and lobbying body. They do not oversee the operations of each state/territory organisation. Funds ARE NOT shared between all the states/territory organisations, fund raising is individual to the state/territory and local area. One state/territory having lots of money does not share it with other state/territories.

I know most people here are aware that each state/territory is a separate organisation but it is important to understand just how separate they are and to not tar all state/territory organsations with the same brush.

The above is exactly the reason why I can't stand them not to mention all the other stories I have heard about how they handle cases.

It's not very clear to the public that the above is the case.

--Lhok