Pup with held

Lulu1234

Hi I am not a breeder but I am unsure on whom to get advise from regarding a pup I have pre paid a deposit for & went to collect our pup we have been waiting for for almost a year and the last increased the price on collection and is now saying she doesn't want to give it to us and will return out money. Is there a law on this??? I feel like I should have some sort of right. 11months contact and now this. Any help would be most appreciated 

The puppy is the breeder's property and as such, they're under no real obligation to sell it to you. You've been offered a refund of your deposit so I'd be accepting it back and saying thanks.

Perhaps the breeder doesn't have a puppy they feel is suitable for you at this time and as you've been waiting for such a long time, they've offered the refund.  I don't know the circumstances but I'm glad you're getting your money back.

I don't know about any law but as a breeder I find that behaviour disgusting. They have had plenty of time to suss you out and change their mind if they think you are a bit dodgy. Of course we are only hearing your version but really they should have told you before you turned up to collect the pup. At least you get your deposit back which is not much comfort I know.

contract law. There has been an offer, acceptance and consideration. She is breaking the contract she entered into with you and you could pursue it further if you chose. You can't just break contracts because you feel like it.

Agree take your money back and go elsewhere - if they dont want your business there surely is someone else who will.  If there are issues with simply obtaining a puppy imagine what would happen if you had to contact them for anything - not worth it.  Wow a year I dont think I would have waited that long for someone to eventually breed a puppy - though not knowing your breed dont know how common they are.

9 hours ago, karen15 said:

contract law. There has been an offer, acceptance and consideration. She is breaking the contract she entered into with you and you could pursue it further if you chose. You can't just break contracts because you feel like it.

Your description is a little simplistic - there is a 4th dimension being the intent to create legal relations and also can't discount Invitation to Treat element too.  Dependent on the actual timings and specific details of the dealings, there might be no contract in place at all. 

I would cut my loses and move on. You've got the deposit back and a small claims court is not going to award you the puppy. 

I don't take deposits. At the end of the day I think the breeder-owner relationship is really important. As much as it hurts take a deep breath and move on. 

I waited 2 years for my Dalmatian puppy by the way. 10 years later and I'm still in touch with his breeder. They were the first people I called when he gained his Agility Champion title. So supportive. 

I'm going to give you some sympathy as I would be pretty upset if I had waited ages for a puppy and then at the last minute had the breeder change their mind. Especially if I had visited the puppy. I imagine you had names picked out and puppy things purchased. 

If you say what breed you are looking for perhaps someone can help you with a new puppy. 

While Jules is right and while I'm sure you're really disappointed and you may even have upset children on your hands, it's also possible you've had a very lucky escape.  This sort of behaviour may well have been an indicator of future problems

Happy to help and good luck finding your puppy.