Advice needed

Tomnkez

hey guys new to the forum.

ive been studying Danes for a long time. It's now time to get one. I'm thinking may or June.

im looking for male black in colour.

is there a specific place or way I can find what I'm looking for?

or a place to go to find a specific colour and sex.

ive done google searches and visited various sites.

cant seem to locate what I'm looking for. Would love any suggestions or further idea :)

thanks in advance.

Edited by Tomnkez

A good place to start is to visit a dog show and go chat to the Dane people. Most will be happy to talk to you as long as they aren't about to go into the ring. If your state has a Dane club that would also be a good way to find breeders. 

Hi. If you go to the 'dogzonline pages' tab at the top of the page use it to search breeders and puppies for sale in any breed you're looking for.  

Its likely that if May or June rolls around you won't just instantly find your sex and colour preference sitting somewhere ready to go. Start communicating with breeders now about what you want. 

Oh, ps, I see you're in SA. Look up DogsSA and search their website too, or give them a call and ask about breeders, whether there is a GD club here, and also when the next shows are coming up. The majority of shows in SA are held at the DogsSA grounds at Cromwell Ave, Kilburn, most weekends, but there are also a sprinkling of shows held regionally too. 

Edited by Gruf

Join the FB page Australian Great Dane Training and ask the questions there. 

But first go here and read two resources - http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/downloads.htm - buying a puppy and avoiding BYBers. 

Don't get seduced by the cute puppy pics on the Dogzonline ads! Out of the 15 listings, there is probably only 1 maybe 2 of the breeders I'd even consider there. 

Colour will be secondary to purchasing a sound puppy from health tested parents that you get to meet. Temperament is absolutely critical too. 

I would not go to shows to be honest. All you get is politics and bias there. And the people showing sometimes are not necessarily ones to be getting a puppy from - kennel blindness does occur!

You want to look inter state too. If you are deadset on black then talk to Kerry at Swayd as a first point. She's in Victoria.  

My general comment (from my own experience and what I've seen others post) on black Danes is they can be bast#%^ds re weight! So many of them spend ages being super skinny as youngsters. Dane puppies should be lean but they take it a step further!

(ETA I have had Danes for just over 10 years) 

Edited by Danois

To the OP if colour is a done deal then you will need to be prepared to wait ,if sex is another done deal add more time .

What exactly are you looking for that you can't find??

Keep in mind colours makes it more trickier as not everyone breeds for certain colours hence you may need to wait longer .

Going to shows is a good start ,chances are you may not see many blacks but what you will see is the natures of the dogs there ,the manner the owners have them trained & many will happily chat to you .

You may click with some & not others that happens just like breeders click with some prospective pet owners & not with others .

As you live in SA you do have the ability to drive east

Breeders all have varying ideas of what they think is correct just like pet owners often have varying ideas of what they want ,Finding the middle ground can sometimes be hard but i wouldn't rush to buy a giant breed ,Finding the right breeder is more important ,Once you start talking you will get a good idea of who you feel comfy with & go from there

:welcome: to the forum. I first saw your post when it was in an inaccessible place (LOL) and could not reply. I have sent you a private message regarding a newborn litter  from an excellent NSW Dane breeder which might suit you, if they are not already booked in advance. You should be able to access the message by clicking on the envelope symbol at the top right of your screen.:)

3 minutes ago, Danois said:

If they (the breeder you're recommending) have pugs too then I have seen some nice Danes from them. I've met the dam too.  The sire's lines have some of my favourite blues there. 

Yes that's them!:thumbsup: