Advise Needed

bearinator

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a Bichon Frise as they seem like a lovely breed with a great temperament and fit my requirements/needs in a breed. Just got a few questions, as I'm a high school student in my final year, I'll be leaving home very early around 7 am and get back at around 5 pm. Provided I take it for a walk daily and play with it, and give him enough toys/stimulation while I'm gone in a decently sized backyard, would that be doable as I've read the Bichon are a very people needing breed.

Also, how often would it be suitable to take them to a groomer as I've read many different options such as every 3 weeks or every 12 weeks.

Edited by bearinator

Seems you've done some research, which is good. 
if you get a pup - bear in mind it is a BABY - will need feeding 4 or so times a day ..watching and working to keep it safe , vet care , and puppy training :) It will need to be kept indoors , toilet training ..all that stuff.

Who will feed it /look after it when you are away ..either at School . or out of an evening/weekend ? 

have a read here:   CLICK

2 hours ago, persephone said:

Seems you've done some research, which is good. 
if you get a pup - bear in mind it is a BABY - will need feeding 4 or so times a day ..watching and working to keep it safe , vet care , and puppy training :) It will need to be kept indoors , toilet training ..all that stuff.

Who will feed it /look after it when you are away ..either at School . or out of an evening/weekend ? 

have a read here:   CLICK

Hey there, thanks for your reply! :) I do intend to do all of those if I get a pup, which was going to lead to my question later on. Would it be better to get a pup or get an older dog who's had some training/is used to being alone a bit more.

I dont have bichons,  but do have cavaliers- which are toy breeds and said to have the same requirements re. human interaction. 

I got both my dogs whilst i was in high school, and Kokoda managed just fine alone for the day (though he did have a doggy door, was walked before and after school and left with kongs and things) and I got Deniki in grade 12- who was also fine (though did have a big brother for company :)
Its definitely doable if you are committed. 

16 hours ago, bearinator said:

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a Bichon Frise as they seem like a lovely breed with a great temperament and fit my requirements/needs in a breed. Just got a few questions, as I'm a high school student in my final year, I'll be leaving home very early around 7 am and get back at around 5 pm. Provided I take it for a walk daily and play with it, and give him enough toys/stimulation while I'm gone in a decently sized backyard, would that be doable as I've read the Bichon are a very people needing breed.

Also, how often would it be suitable to take them to a groomer as I've read many different options such as every 3 weeks or every 12 weeks.

Bichons are beautiful little dogs.  Great natures and grooming probably every 6-8 weeks.  There will be plenty of people who disagree with me but I would not leave a little puppy alone (or adult dog - particularly toy breed - for that matter) for 10 hours a day.  

On 17/01/2017 at 10:46 AM, denali said:

I dont have bichons,  but do have cavaliers- which are toy breeds and said to have the same requirements re. human interaction. 

I got both my dogs whilst i was in high school, and Kokoda managed just fine alone for the day (though he did have a doggy door, was walked before and after school and left with kongs and things) and I got Deniki in grade 12- who was also fine (though did have a big brother for company :)
Its definitely doable if you are committed. 

Thank you for that! That means that it is doable if given the commitment.

Missed the groomer question: This depends on how much you do at home. If you comb and brush your dog frequently you can get as long as up to 12 weeks ( i wouldnt go any longer) if you do not they will need it more frequently. 

It also depends on how long you want to keep the hair. And in summer generally they need it more often to keep them comfortable compared to just a quick tidy up in winter. 

4 hours ago, denali said:

Missed the groomer question: This depends on how much you do at home. If you comb and brush your dog frequently you can get as long as up to 12 weeks ( i wouldnt go any longer) if you do not they will need it more frequently. 

It also depends on how long you want to keep the hair. And in summer generally they need it more often to keep them comfortable compared to just a quick tidy up in winter. 

Thanks a lot. You've been a great help! :) 

anything is doable provided the whole family are committed to the work .

Your parents will obviously play a big roll as they will be paying for the grooming unless you have an after school job & are required to pay for that .

As a groomer a Bichon every 6/8 if kept in an easy care trim,if your wanting it to look like a show Bichon trim then more often is a must plus daily brushing & combing .Cost most likley from $70 upwards .

I guess the big question is is this going to be a family pet or just yours??

Have you also weighed up if you move out next year will you take the dog ,obviously finding rentals can be hard etc etc

If your doing Uni will it be local ,interstate or require more travelling.

Getting the dog is easy committing fully for the next 12 yrs is something you can only decide

48 minutes ago, showdog said:

anything is doable provided the whole family are committed to the work .

Your parents will obviously play a big roll as they will be paying for the grooming unless you have an after school job & are required to pay for that .

As a groomer a Bichon every 6/8 if kept in an easy care trim,if your wanting it to look like a show Bichon trim then more often is a must plus daily brushing & combing .Cost most likley from $70 upwards .

I guess the big question is is this going to be a family pet or just yours??

Have you also weighed up if you move out next year will you take the dog ,obviously finding rentals can be hard etc etc

If your doing Uni will it be local ,interstate or require more travelling.

Getting the dog is easy committing fully for the next 12 yrs is something you can only decide

Thanks for the response. It would be a family pet, and I will not be moving out for an upward of 7+ years, if I do. And my uni would be local and the same amount of travel. I understand the commitment and before going through with it, just wanted to make sure I would be able to do it with leaving a dog while I'm gone. As for the costing, is it that much even for a simple groom and not anything too fancy?

16 hours ago, bearinator said:

Thanks for the response. It would be a family pet, and I will not be moving out for an upward of 7+ years, if I do. And my uni would be local and the same amount of travel. I understand the commitment and before going through with it, just wanted to make sure I would be able to do it with leaving a dog while I'm gone. As for the costing, is it that much even for a simple groom and not anything too fancy?

You may be able to find cheaper- but as the saying goes- you get what you pay for! 

Most will be $60 upwards for a full clip. 

14 hours ago, bearinator said:

Thank you all for the advice. Just wondering if it would be better to go with a puppy or an adult dog who's had some training.

That can only be your decision. Puppies are a lot of hard work, they need constant supervision and/or a safe place where they can do no damage. The person who spends the most quality time with the pup will be the pup's favourite person. Older dogs have already settled into a temperament and you can judge straight away whether or not they are going to 'click' with you.
Since you are intending to remain at home for quite a while (half of a puppy's life) it is probably really important to discuss whether to get a puppy or an adult with the other members of your household. Really you are adding another family member, not a garden ornament or electronic device to be switched off when you are not there (I don't mean that in a harsh way).

yes, adult or pup is a personal decision - based on your situation :) 

I have had some of both over the years ... Perhaps my 'heart' dog of them all  was the one  who found me when he was about 18 mths old.  He decided  I was going to be his ..and so it was for the next decade or so . 

Many decide adult as they think it is easier ,sometimes it can be but often you take on a dog that has been trained a certain way so the effort can be just as much work as a pup so either way the time & effort is very much the same but in a different way