Alleged Puppy Farm Qld UPDATE

Animal House

UPDATED 22/3/17 in my later post

:(     Poor dogs, these stories sicken me.

Some (potentially) distressing photos of malnourished dogs in the link, so I've put the news article (no pics) below as well if you don't want to click on the link. 

Story here ABC News  *WARNING - DISTRESSING PICS

Malnourished and injured dogs have been seized from an alleged puppy farm near Goondiwindi, with police and the RSPCA finding nearly 100 animals at the Glenarbon property.

Police said two dogs required emergency treatment at the property on Bosjnack Road.

In a statement, the RSPCA said the seized dogs were mainly American Staffordshire bull terriers, Australian and American bulldogs, French bulldogs and pitbulls.

It said 81 dogs and puppies and 10 cats were seized from the property and had been moved to the RSPCA's Animal Welfare Campus in Wacol for treatment and care.

RSPCA Queensland chief inspector Daniel Young said the conditions the dogs and cats were being kept in "were very disturbing".

"There was inadequate shelter and water and a number of the dogs were carrying injuries that needed urgent veterinary treatment," he said.

"There was one dog that was sharing a small space with a dog that was deceased and there were the remains of a number of corpses lying near dogs that were tethered.

"We'd like to sincerely thank Queensland Police for their invaluable assistance in this operation."

A 40-year-old man is assisting police and the RSPCA with their inquiries.

The man is to appear in Goondiwindi Magistrates Court in relation to other matters.

Investigations are continuing and police would like to speak to anyone who may have purchased an animal from the property in the past.

Edited by Cazablanca
update

Such a terrible pity that the Qld government's legislation "against cruel puppy farms" will not address this and similar problems at all.  Poor dogs.

Dog fighters.

Edited by Jed

2 minutes ago, Jed said:

Such a terrible pity that the Qld government's legislation "against cruel puppy farms" will not address this and similar problems at all.  Poor dogs.

Govts at any level couldn’t give a rat’s arse ----- no money there, you see.  Different if the property was sitting on a coal seam.    

Saw this on FB this morning as well as a hoarder situation in Adelaide (90 animals from a range of species inside a house). Both these situations make me so angry. Where is the RSPCA? Why do animals need to be dead and dying before they step in? Where is their prevention work? And what about council - they have a responsibility to ensure properties are safe for purpose and hygenic and to monitor animal ownership in their jurisdiction. Why do they allow these people to continue to create harmful environments and have excess numbers of animals? It's not like it happens overnight! Perhaps if they stopped with all the pissy little fines and actually stomped on these people so they had nowhere to hide things might change. If sending them to prison breaks their habit of ownership and abuse then so be it. It's also time for pet shops to accept the role they play in puppy farming and the rescue continuum. It's always the animals that suffer and as usual all the excuses are benefiting the humans.

2 minutes ago, juice said:

Whilst the RSPCA milk it for all its worth before they kill all the dogs .  

scumbag is clearly dog fighter not a puppy farmer . 

He was both. Some of the dogs were fighting dogs. Some of the cats were bait cats. But the breeds that sell for ridiculously high prices (including incorrectly coloured French Bulldogs) and certain strains of Ragdoll cats were apparently regularly shipped interstate for sale. :cry:

On 20/01/2017 at 8:52 PM, juice said:

Whilst the RSPCA milk it for all its worth before they kill all the dogs .  

scumbag is clearly dog fighter not a puppy farmer . 

as some are beginning to notice to them every complaint lodged isnt an opportunity to help the animal or educate the owner, its either a golden income opportunity  or generate free publicity,  fail  a tick to either  (preferably both)  of those two and their "hands are tied, sorry"

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

An update, more charges laid.

LINK

The RPSCA has laid a record number of charges to the owner of an alleged puppy farm in southern Queensland where dogs were kept in "appalling conditions".

In January, 81 malnourished dogs and 10 cats were seized by police and RSPCA officials from the property at Glenarbon.

RSPCA inspector Daniel Young said the owner, Haris Ljuhar, 40, had been charged with 215 animal welfare-related offences.

Most of the dogs were American Staffordshire bull terriers, as well as Australian, American and French bulldogs.

It was the most charges the RSPCA has ever issued for the one person.

Mr Young said the operation including veterinary fees for the animals and the cost of care and rehoming had cost the RSPCA more than $100,000.

Mr Ljuhar is due to appear in Goondiwindi Magistrates Court in May.

Total scum. Should be shackled in the streets and left for regular people to best the s***out of. 

On a nice note though I know the brother of a young guy who took on one of the staffys from there and the dog is gaining weight and confidence in human beings again. Sounds like he has finally found a good home. 

• Like 1

One of the Frenchies rescued was for sale for $3000 in Brisbane and I believe it has been bought in the past week.  Their reasoning was they're going to $6000 elsewhere!  No history, genetic history unknown, age unsure, but not afraid to jump on the over priced Frenchie band wagon!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roova said:

One of the Frenchies rescued was for sale for $3000 in Brisbane and I believe it has been bought in the past week.  Their reasoning was they're going to $6000 elsewhere!  No history, genetic history unknown, age unsure, but not afraid to jump on the over priced Frenchie band wagon!

at the present moment cant remember where I read it last night, but an rspca spokesperson was quoted as saying the RSPCA'S intention was to supply the pet market in future instead of puppy farms.

they already have the runs on the board selling endorsements for chicken farms and the like already

will hunt and see if I can find it later tonight, otherwise has anyone else seen it?

Found it on a Facebook page.

so not sure if its OK to put the writers names. so just copy and past what was being said if you like?

" Agree... they have moved away from beliefs years ago.. it was obviously when I was there..and has since gotten dramatically worse. As far as a charity when I started in the 80's they were.. now.. they certainly are Not! "

"Tania the CEO of Queensland quite openly stated a couple of months ago that "it is our aim in the future, that anyone in Australia who buys a puppy will buy it from us". I sat in stunned silence for 2 days after hearing of this. The ramifications are ENORMOUS. This must not be allowed to happen under any circumstances."

" One of our vets had already suggested rspca wanted to breed their own. My mother said it right from the beginning, and those of us that had our pedigrees stolen with our animals are now thinking on the same lines. What is stopping them from making up their own data base. They already change micro chip ownership details."

"Exactly and they seize the pedigrees to go with them"

Edited by asal

• 8 months later...

I can't believe you people. I have one of the rescued dogs. He was one of the first released and we were given a choice of another one when the second lot were free for adoption. We chose not to so we could concentrate on Chevy. We personally know alot of the workers at the RSPCA in question and know for a fact that every single dog was rehomed, desexed, microcipped, fleaed, wormed etc. EVERY ONE!!!!! except the one they showed that could hardly walk. He had to be euthanized due to infection and internal injuries. We also know aot of the new owners of the dogs and keep in regular touch. What horrible things to say. They had one Frenchie heavily pregnant that they induced the second they found out he didn't show for an appeal to keep the dogs so they could desex her. All of the puppies are also now in beautiful homes.... . Out of 81 dogs, they lost one........ gained many puppies and rehomed them all safely.20663090_10211925004354042_2119374535_o.thumb.jpg.24f70dff78d3b6706f9df78c0356fd82.jpg20663581_10211925008354142_144663161_o.thumb.jpg.62166be7424a94c23f2a43882dd3948a.jpg

• Like 1