What to do with dog when I go on vacation?!

Cuko13

Due to some family issues back home I've decided to go on a long awaited vacation to Europe. I will be gone at least 9 weeks, possibly a little more. I am dreading about what to do with my German Shepherd while I'm gone. He'll be just over a year old when I leave, and he's already more than capable of spending most of his time alone as he stays outside. However I've taken him on long walks and play sessions everyday since I got him as a pup. He's obviously gotten used to my presence and formed a routine. He see's a lot of me everyday because I work from home so I come outside often to keep him company. 

I've already spoken to a few people who might be happy to take him for the time I'm gone. My neighbor has free access to my yard and has offered to feed him everyday (although that is a big ask as I feed him raw and use a lot of supplements with his food). Whatever happens, he'll be fed and looked after but there's no way anyone else would give him as much attention as I do. Nobody I know is that fond of dogs or has the time to be walking him everyday. Although we all live on large farms so he'll likely have plenty of space to run on wherever he goes, I'm concerned about what would happen to my dog from suddenly never seeing me anymore? Would he be likely to fall into depression or rage? Would he recognize me and be able to go straight back to our old routine as soon as I get back? 

you should be sending him to a good boarding kennel. 9 weeks is a very long time to be gone and rely on a neighbour to feed him. His yard would have to be escape proof as well. Dogs wandering on farm land are often shot on sight.

My yard is left open all day while I'm gone, he knows not to leave without me. If he does, my area is very secluded and safe and he knows how to make his way back home without going too far. I'm not worried about him escaping and getting lost. There is also no chance of him getting shot. 

Id be boarding him or having a sitter come. 

You can't rely on him "knowing not to leave" for lots of reasons. What if, after youve been gone 2 weeks he 'went looking for you' & got hit by a car or taken to the pound?

You'll be on a different time zone too - so not always easy to contact.

14 hours ago, Cuko13 said:

My yard is left open all day while I'm gone, he knows not to leave without me. If he does, my area is very secluded and safe and he knows how to make his way back home without going too far. I'm not worried about him escaping and getting lost. There is also no chance of him getting shot. 

If you are gone for 9 weeks, with having someone just come in to feed and water, he will soon go wandering.  

Perhaps you could consider a house sitter.  I had an excellent experience with getting someone through Happy Housesitters, but that was several years ago and only two weeks.  I have seen other people on this forum recommend them as well.  

15 hours ago, Cuko13 said:

if your dog decides to take a wander, and he will if left on his own for 9 weeks and somone just popping in once a day, he could end up anywhere and yes he could be shot, hit by a car etc. Why would he come back to a empty house? Nothing for him there.

I think you should look at getting a house sitter or either boarding him at kennels or with another type of minding service where the dog goes to someone's home

So sad to be left, essentially, all alone for that length of time.

Guest crazydoglady99

Hey Cuko13, 

It says you are in NSW - are you able to say roughly where? When do you think you will be going o'seas?

What would happen if your dog did not turn up for his evening meal? Would your neighbour go looking for him? I'll never forget seeing the carcass of a kangaroo which had one foot caught up in a wire fence. That's an awful way to die. I would hate that to happen to your dog.

I'm glad you posted.

9 weeks is way too long to leave him.  He will wonder where you are, he will fret, he will miss his walks - and he is super intelligent. You may come back to a dog with all sorts of behavioural and psychological issues. You absolutely need a better solution. This is your dog, you need to make sure he will be ok - he needs looking after.  

I would be getting a pet sitter, someone to live in your home with him - or find a foster carer type person who will have him at their place.  This is highly likely going to need payment.  If I was you and couldn't find either, then I wouldn't go overseas. Also you need a back up plan - in case something goes  wrong with what you originally arranged.

I don't know how to go about this but some ideas follow;

• Contact the German Shepherd club and ask for help on how to find somewhere he can stay, ideally someone's home, not a boarding kennel.
  • Go on Facebook and find German Shepherd groups in NSW, and post on there to see if he can stay with someone there
  • Advertise in your local paper
  • Put a notice up at all the local vet clinics on their notice boards.

9 weeks is far too long to leave your dog.

Two suggestions, go to see your family but maybe just for a month, would be easier to find someone to look after him either in your home or theirs, I look after dogs that I have bred but would not take on the responsibility of nine weeks, month for me would be enough.

Suggestion 2. I f you are going to be away nine weeks or maybe longer as you said, I would rehome him, he is only young and it would only be fair for him and he would be a lot happier.

4 hours ago, animallover99 said:

Hey Cuko13, 

It says you are in NSW - are you able to say roughly where? When do you think you will be going o'seas?

I am in Western Sydney. Will be travelling around June this year. 

Thankfully I spoke to an acquaintance whom I met at the park a few months ago. He loves my dog and said he would be happy to take him while I'm gone. He works full time but has a few other dogs at home so as long as he could get along with them he would be fine staying there. I would probably offer to pay him a basic fee just cover any expenses also.  

And yes he has HD which I'm managing with supplements and physio. The most important thing is that he gets enough room to excersize everyday and his food is loaded with his joint capsules. Shouldn't be an issue for anyone taking him on. 

I would not expect anyone to look after my dog for free especially for 9 weeks.

As a boarding kennel owner i also wouldn't leave my dog with anyone for 9 weeks without a written contract signed & agreed by both parties & as your dog has issues even more so .

You would seriously need to do a test run on whether your dog is going cope being around other dogs unattended especially with HD.

You will need a back up plan if it doesn't work ,you will need to have this backup plan agreed to by both .

Your dog may end up a disaster after a few weeks & the person places it in kennels at your costs ,something that needs to be discussed & agreed upon & leaving a copy of its vacc papers if such a crisis happens with the baby sitter .

9 weeks is a long time for an acquaintance to have to manage a strange dog ,i think you need to start seriously looking into what methods will best suit the dog not what is the cheapest for you

If no one will do it for the full time, you could get a few people to take turns house sitting or having him stay with them. Say someone takes him for 3 weeks, then another for a few more etc.

Still that could be a bit hard on the dog being shipped around between new places he isn't familiar with. 

When we go away (longest has been 2 weeks so I'm not very experienced to help you) we take the dogs to stay with family. You could get someone you trust that the dog already knows and is familiar with. 

Or you could get a dog sitter/house sitter.

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

call me judgemental but I'm surprised you are looking at a minimum 9 week holiday when you were saying your dog is so sore in the HD thread but you don't want to leave him with someone to keep a constant eye on him and his discomfort levels. Perhaps you could shorten your trip and use the money saved to pay for someone to look after him while you are away.