Arthrities In Dogs Back Legs

My older boy has for awhile now been a little stiff in his back legs, I put a coat on him to keep the heat in, he also sleeps in the garage on the lounge, also has a doggy bean bag if he likes. Just the past month he has gotten pretty bad, to the point if u touch from his hip down his leg to his thigh he will wimper in pain :eek: Only at night this is, during the day you wouldnt know it, his about 11yo his a pretty ruff and tumble kinda guy, VERY active, hyper until he went onto BARF, his been tumbled by horses and cattle ( he wont learn that they are a little faster then him :p ) since i got him at about 1yo. I have been keeping him lean so as not to have extra weight on his legs.

Now dont panic I will be taking him to the vets next week, as my vet will be back then and I rather stick with the same guy, BUT that said, i really would like to know if anyone knows something that may help him?? Herbal would be EVEN better as Im really not wanting to start pumping crap into his body if I can help it.

As a side note he has only just started the wimpering pain after he had a tick attack about a month ago, so I dont know if that may have sped things along or not, he only spent a night in the vets and was over the tick pretty fast as I found it pretty soon.

Added a pic of my boof head ;)

000_0090.jpg

Hi Devon, my 10 year old pomeranian also has a stiff back leg but I know it's due to a stage 3 luxating patella. When she's in pain she wimpers and you can tell that she's absolutely miserable by looking into her eyes. My vet suggested I put her on an anti-inflammatory oral medication called 'Metacam' which alleviates the inflammation and pain in both acute and chronic musculoskeletal disorders. This is an oral suspension medication that can be given on a long term basis in a maintenance dose. To find out more about 'Metacam', just do a search on the internet and see if this is something you'd like to consider for boof head.

Herbal would be EVEN better

Sorry to hear about your dog , my neighbours collie is 12 years old and she has the sore back hip and shaky legs . She still goes for walks even though in alot of pain the vet suggested pain killers and anti inflammatorys. There is a web site called www.kmihome.com.au they have vitamin sprays that can be used for animals and humans. The one for arthritis is called Pro flex if it gives some relief l would try it.

My boy is on Metacam for inoperable deformed bones in one of his back legs (luxates his patella when he tries to straighten his leg ;) ) Very painful on most days and then I give him a tablet, so he doesn't have one every day. Severe arthritic changes in his other hip at the back.

Metacam or equivalent works WONDERS. Non-steroidal (spelling?). Kind of like us taking a Neurofen for a back ache.

I saw that new Exelpet product for doggy arthritis and decided to give it a go. It's Green Lipped Mussels in a dog chew and my boy just loves them :eek: I noticed that I haven't had to give him the painkillers quite so often and I spoke to my vet about it.

Said that quite a few of their clients had been using Green Lipped Mussel extracts/chews and were having great success with it - no judgements which was good as I felt they might have thought I was being a bit "airy-fairy" about the herbal side of things :p Also not so keen about the idea of permanent medication but not stupid enough to ignore it altogether :rofl:

People have been using it for ages for arthritis, so why not dogs? :mad

Hi Devon

Once you can find out a definate diagnosis from the vet you will probably be able to do a bit more research on natural alternatives.

If it is arthritis he may also benefit from a magnetic and heated bed. I have got some good natural medications from www.wholisticanimal.com (Australian company in WA that you can order from over the net) so you could check them out as well if you like.

I forgot to look which state you were in, but if you are in the Eastern States, was it a Paralysis Tick that bit him? If it was, the vet might want to check him again incase any poison may be left (Sorry, I dont know much about Paralysis Ticks - we dont have them in WA, only bush ticks which are not very harmless)

Jen

If it is arthritis, a series of cartophen injections would be beneficial. One/week for 4 weeks and then a top up when necessary.She also has a glucosamine and Chondroitin tablet of 1500mg every day and a fish oil capsule, or sardines, for the Omega? 3 and 6, every day. And we have just started acupuncture which is working very well

My dear old Miss Sophie ( now 11.5 plus) great dane x irish wolfhound has bad arthritis in her stifles. She has been kept comfortable over the year with glucosamine chondroiton, plus lyprinol ( green mussel) had had the cartrophen inj, she uses a magnetic mat to sleep on, now on prolet twice daily. have also used Benelox plus herbal pain supplements prescribed by holistic vet.

tried acupuncture but Miss Sophie was not a good patient and kept trying to return the compliment with her teeth.

"tried acupuncture but Miss Sophie was not a good patient and kept trying to return the compliment with her teeth"

I must be lucky-Lani is only 2 and goes to sleep for the full 1/2 hr that the needles are in. The vet comes in after about 15 mins and gives them a twiddle and she doesn't stir.That's a cavalier for you :rofl:

Hi!

My mums Lab has this problem and it flares up quite severly in winter.

We took him to the vet and she prescribe "Metacame"(could be spelt different though). It is an anti-inflamatory that you give based on weight through a syringe (no needle) in their food or straight in their mouth. It works amazing and so it should... about $90 for 6 week supply.

My mum also gives him cartlege tablets for arthritis from the chemist. Same sort of thing... give on weight. I think they are between $15-$30 for a tub. The vet actually recomends these aswell.

The other product you could try is "sashas blend" which you can buy without a consulation and I think even some pet shops /produces sell them aswell. It is suppose to be really good.

Do you have a heat pad or hot water bottle you could put in his bed/beanbag?

Good Luck and I hope he starts to feel better.

APPLE CIDER VINIGAR!...When he was 8, my 11 year old Cavalier became so sore with arthritis in his legs, he yelped whenever he sat down, got up or climbed in or out of bed, or up or down steps. He couldn't walk further than the end of the block. So we tried giving him a table-spoon of apple cider vinigar once a day (with his dinner) and over-night you could see improvement. He's now down to only about a tea-spoon a day. By the end of the week he was almost perfect and we haven't seen even a hint of pain since then! You wouldn't have a clue he has arthritis now. I have no idea if this would work for others, but it was a (natural) miracle 'cure' for him! It can't hurt to try.

I have had a dog with a problem with arthritis for years. We tried Rimydal with no effect, we tried Methasone with no effect and we tried Metacam with reasonable results. However, all of these imo are almost as bad as each other. My vet then told me about a product he had been asked by the manufacturer to try and he suggested we try it for Tayla. Benelox Active - www.benelox.com.au

The results were outstanding. A natural marine oil based product. I buy mine from www.vetstop.com.au and it costs me about $75 for 8 weeks supply. This is for a 25kg dog.

Another suyggestion is to visit Robert McDowell's Herbal Treatments www.herbal-treatments.com.au

He is based in Bathurst andis very quick to post things out. I have had excellent results with several of his products.

Good luck

SueH

I took my boy off to the vets today, im so in love with my vet heheh He went right over him checked all his joints his right knee has some more growth then the left and his hips are sore.

So he is now on cartophen injections and the Glucosamine in the form of Osteo- ease. Steve (my vet) said this is how he wanted to treat him and I am quiet happy with it, he said drugs are the next step if needs be. But because Rocky is still very active and quiet well other then he would rather keep his system free from stuff as he believes the BARF diet I have him on has done wonders as is. But after this 4 weeks and he has not improved a good lot we are and WILL be moving up to bigger and better stuff.

So Anne plz do not think i will not treat him if and when he needs it, I myself do not use alot of pain relief having had a major horse ridding accident I know what it does to you and that is the only reason I am not wanting my pets to go down that road. I use herbal alternative to deal with my pain from said accident.

50kg RRxGSD on previcox for athritis in spine, hes been on it for 2 weeks and amazing improvement...anti inflam and pain killer. 1 and half tabs once a day....$46 dollars for two weeks worth.

Also takes MSM Joint Formula daily...doing well at 12 and a half

Hi just had a quick look at what people have said and has anyone asked if you have anyone in your area that is a racing greyhound expert that does chiropractic work. We have one in Warrnambool Vic and he is amazing. I also noticed that someone suggested ACV. If you try that you might also try 1000mg caps fish oil with omega 3,6. cold press flax seed caps have omega 3,6 & 9. which might be even better. these caps have natural anti inflamitory which provide pain relief. Most importantly see if you have a dog chiro around our man here charges $10 per visit and you get an honest opem minded opinion. Best of luck hope this is of help.

I also found Metacam worked brilliantly with our elderly sheltie who had arthritis in the back legs.

Also she was one of the lucky dogs who was helped greatly by a course of carthrophen injections.

As a supplement, she had Sasha's Blend sprinkled on her food.

Edited by mita

I had to have my lovely rottie PTS in Feb( not because of the arthritis) she had very bad arthritis in the elbows we had very good results with benelox and hydrotherapy. and we used metacam on the bad days.:D