Flea, Heartworm, All Wormer For Puppies

caesar

could people provide me with some guide as to which product they believe is the best to treat the above categories.

i.e- I have just brought home an 8 week pointer and am looking at either frontline/advantage for flea treatment. What is the bets heartworm / all wormer available at the moment

Cheers

Advocate (made by the same company who make Advantage) IMO is the best product and treats all 3. It also treats mites of variou descriptions.

If you want to do them seperately..... Advantage is still the one I would use as Frontline has proven to be useless in the long term for many folk.

For intestinal Worms..... DRONTAL tablets are the best on the market... unfortunately they are also the most expensive.

I looked up Advocate and I must admit it looks great because it seems to treat everything. I am used to tablets/needles for heartworm prevention. Never heard of topical heartwrom prevention. Is topical prevention proven to be as effective as tablets for heartworm?

Does advocate treat all intestinal worms?

Cheers

Guest LittlePixie
Does advocate treat all intestinal worms?

No, it doesn't do tapeworm. This shouldn't be an issue though, as it prevents fleas (one way dogs get tapeworm is by eating fleas who have eaten tapeworm eggs :cry:) and your puppy probably won't have access to numerous tapeworm infected carcasses.

Edited by LittlePixie

Are Drontal more expensive than Endogard? The latter are what my vet has been recommending to me.

Re: tapeworm and carcasses - you can get tapeworm-specific tablets to keep on hand if you think your pup may have had a gnaw on something unsavoury. I keep some on hand as my pups live in the bush most of the time and if I think they have found something revolting in the undergrowth I can dose them as a safeguard for both tapeworm and hydatids.

Guest LittlePixie
Are Drontal more expensive than Endogard? The latter are what my vet has been recommending to me.

Yes they are (where I work anyway) but they are also better than Endogard.

lol might have to start looking at buying bulk wormers!! I usually use www.vetproductsdirect.com.au for wormers - much cheaper than at the vets!

At the moment, we're using Interceptor Spectrum which does all intestinal worms and heartworm. It's a monthly tablet. We don't have a problem with fleas here, but i guess if we did, we'd look at Advocate or Sentinel Spectrum.

Guest LittlePixie

Does anyone know anywhere that sells tapeworming tablets cheaply online?

Was specifically after Droncit but can only find places selling it one tablet at a time...

I'm currently giving my 2 Sentinel Spectrum. It an all wormer and hearwormer too. It treats fleas too (It doesnt kill the ones already on the dog but it'll prevent the flea cycle). I've been advised to Use a flea treatment as well as sentinel spectrum.

I haven't had any problems with fleas so far. Maybe I've just been lucky.

My vet just gave me these options to treat everything :

- Advocate or Sentinel plus something to treat ticks (Frontline)

- Heartguard plus ( heart / intestinal) plus frontline for ticks/fleas

- Interceptor plus Frontline

can anyone help me as to which I should choose so my dog is protected as best as possible against everything 9 heart, intestinal, ticks and fleas) at the most economical price??

Thank you

I use Sentinal Spectrum tablets which do all intestinal worms + heartworm + fleas. In addition to that I use Advantix in Spring & Summer (this does fleas & ticks). Very convenient as both of these treatments are once a month.

If my dogs ever have fleas on them (which they don't now that we are using Sentinal Spectrum) I give them a Capstar tablet which kills whatever fleas are on them at the time. (Capstar comes in very handy for foster dogs!).

I wouldn't use Frontline at all as it doesn't work against fleas anymore - it's as if they have become immune to frontline!

One problem I have noticed with priceless pets - they seem to only sell the products for 6 doses not 3 - which is very good value, but my pointer currently is only 8 weeks and weighs <5kg but by the time he reaches 6 months he will be over 10kg. Hnece, ideally I should get 3 doses at a time at this stage.

Caesar - there have been some threads in the past about buying in larger quantities and dividing the doses your self... however I think it's usually been in multiple dog situations... I'm not sure how well the solution "keeps" once opened.

But the basic principle is - treatment is per kilo, so buy the most economical source of the treatment, and with a syringe measure out the appropriate per kilo amount and apply it...

I haven't done this myself but if you have more than one dog it might be the way to go, as the larger doses and multiple dose packs are cheaper per ml than the smaller / fewer dose packs.

ETA this is the thread I was thinking of: Cheap preventatives on a per kilo basis

Edited by Mana