Can Humans/dogs Pass Eachother Bugs/viruses

sugar

It can happen, when it does it's called a zoonotic transmission, the disease is called a zoonosis, like ringworm (a fungus). All it means is that the one virus or bacteria can use a multitude of hosts that include humans and at least one non human animal.

Nothing to be overly worried about, we have lived with them for many years and they haven't bumped us all off yet.

"Zoonotic diseases are conditions that are passed from one species to another. Although Zoonoses are always a matter for concern, almost all of them are rare. With uncommon exceptions, dogs do not get cat diseases, cats do not get human diseases, and humans do not get dog or cat diseases. The great exceptions are diseases caused by microbes that are passed through bites. Rabies, a viral infection, is the most serious. Other microbes may paas to us through dog faeces or may use parasites, such as ticks, as their method of spreading to us.

Rabies; Dog Bites; Worm Infestations; Hydatid Disease; Tapeworm; Ringworm and Gastrotestinal Diseases are among those which can be transmitted"

Taken from Dr Bruce Fogle Caring for Your Dog

Actually it is more likely to get something from another human than it is from a dog :rofl: . But yes, some things can be passed between dogs and humans including some parasites and types of mange/mite etc and of course fleas.

Interesting and only slightly related titbit: Did you know that during the initial stages of the great plague in London that they killed hundreds of street dogs and cats to try and control it? Of course it was the dogs and cats that were keeping the rats under control.....no dogs and cats meant more rats who were major carriers of the plague (or rather the flea that then passed it to humans) :p

Re Gastric Bugs in Humans

Several gastrointestinal bacteris can be transmitted form dogs to humans, but all are rare. The most common is Campylobacter jejuni, which causes fever, headache, abdominal cramps, and watery to bloody diarrohea. The most common source of this bacterium is contaminated meat, especially chicken and unpasteurised nilk, but a few instances of this infection can be traced back to dogs with diarrhoea.

Most cases of Salmonella infection come from contaminated food, but here, too, a small number of cases can be traced back to pets. Salmonella causes nausea, vomiting, cramps and watery diarrohea.

If any one in your family has been diagnosed with either of these gastric infections, it is sensible to have your pet examined to see if it is a carrier.

Dr Bruce Fogle

What do you want to know about parvo?.

Be careful as if it is bactarial it can be transferred and who would have ever thought that birds and humans could get the same thing.

The cause of diarrhoea may be a disease that can be transmitted to humans,Such disease's include campylobacter and salmonellaboth caused by bactaria. Commonsense hygiene precautions can reduce the cause of any zoonotic diseases being passed to yourself.

There is a gastro or parvo like thing called "Dog Show crud" (not campylobacter)which only seems to be mentioned on American websites (I can't find any australian references, so not sure if it occurs here at all)

says it can be passed from human to dog .....

Quote: bacterial overgrowth? The symptoms of "Dog Show Crud" are similar to parvo but if a fecal is run on there will be a high bacterial content and negative parvo test.

a couple of links... they all sort of say the same thing

http://www.thedogplace.com/library/DogCare/Dog_Show_Crud.htm

http://www.nb.net/~collet/crud.htm

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/crud.html

Anthrax (from cattle, pigs, horse sheep and goats)

Brucesellosis (from sheep, goats ,pigs and cattle)

cat scratch fever

Giardiasis (dogs and cats, parrots)

Hookworm or Cutaneous larval migrans, (from dogs and cats)

Hydatid disease (dogs, sheep, kangaroos and other grasing animals)

leptospirosis (from pigs, cattle, dogs, cats, rats,mice, guinea pigs, rabbits and reptiles)

psitacosis a type of Chlamydia (from birds, flu/cold like symtoms, rarely from cats)

Q-fever (from cattle, sheep, goats, bandicoots, kangaroos and wallabies)

Rat bite fever

ringworm (from dogs cats, rodents, cattle, horses)

Roundworm from (dogs and cats)

Salmonella (from reptiles [94% carry the bacteria], birds, cattle sheep, pigs, rodents)

Toxoplasmosis ( from cats mainly, but also rodents, rabbits, dogs, sheep and cattle)

Well that was from my 3rd term notes, enjoy.

Re Gastric Bugs in Humans

Several gastrointestinal bacteris can be transmitted form dogs to humans, but all are rare. The most common is Campylobacter jejuni, which causes fever, headache, abdominal cramps, and watery to bloody diarrohea. The most common source of this bacterium is contaminated meat, especially chicken and unpasteurised nilk, but a few instances of this infection can be traced back to dogs with diarrhoea.

If any one in your family has been diagnosed with either of these gastric infections, it is sensible to have your pet examined to see if it is a carrier.

I have actually had this campylobacter jejuni. thought it was just a fancy name for gastro but wasn't laughing when I had it though. I was told it was a notifiable problem I.E. health dept. Suggestion that it came from chicken not cooked properly. wife would buy it for dogs but would cook it more if it was going to be consumed by us. I only ate the wings but it was enough. some say it was lucky I drive a laundry truck :laugh: I don't eat chicken now unless it is served up for a meal. :thumbsup: