Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Pregnant Bitch Overdue! - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Pregnant Bitch Overdue!

#1 User is offline   shellbyville 

• Forum Regular

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hi, I have a pregnant bitch that is overdue to have her puppies and was wondering if or when I should be concerned.

She is overdue by 7 days from the first mating, but only overdue by 1 day from the last mating.
So I am assuming she ovulated and conceived on the last mating or close by.

She seems fine, very uncomfortable though, pregnancy was confirmed with an ultrasound. The puppies are moving, I havn't been taking her temp. She has no coloured (green) discharge only clear mucus, which is normal.

Was wondering if anyone has any insight into how overdue a dog can go. I know with people they can go a long way over. (I was over 3 weeks overdue with my last child, and he was a whopper!) :happydance2:

Any insight would be helpful. I am concerned as this is only the 2nd litter I have bred. Her first litter she went right on the 63rd day from the first mating.

I am assuming she will whelp any time now, as she does seem restless and clingy, and as she is slightly overdue from last mating, fingers crossed all goes well!

#2 User is offline   experiencedfun 

• Dedicated wilbooker
  • State:VIC

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:08 AM

Im not sure how to answer your question.......I would be taking her temp and if she is comfortable not worry too much. Maybe a call to your vet to put your mind at ease.

Good Luck

#3 User is offline   shellbyville 

• Forum Regular

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. I took her to the vet 2 days ago, and he said not to worry, just keep a close eye on her. As I said there is plenty of puppy movement. I didn't do the temperature thing last time, but may do so.

#4 User is offline   Hazz 

• ANKC breeder / dog lover / exhibitor / agility / obedience

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

I would be keeping a very close eye on her and keep in touch with your vet.
If still nothing perhaps take her in, better to be safe than sorry ...

We had a bitch fail to progress labour and needed an emergency c-section, thankfully the bitch and the puppies were fine but it's all time, if we had waited any longer it may have been a different story.

#5 User is offline   Ceilidh 

• Hooley, my life, my heart, my soul. We will be together again.
  • State:QLD

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:43 AM

This is the chance you take when you do matings over such a vast time. She could be on time and only fertilised on the day 7 mating or she could have taken with a few pups on the first mating and you coud have some deaduns in there and some correct term ones. I know some people do matings for a week or more but personally I won't do any more than a day apart eg. day 11 & 13. At least that way you know when the bitch is due to a few days.

#6 User is offline   Sivvy 

• Breeder/Exhibitor
  • State:VIC

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

View PostCeilidh, on 31st Aug 2006 - 10:43 AM, said:

This is the chance you take when you do matings over such a vast time. She could be on time and only fertilised on the day 7 mating or she could have taken with a few pups on the first mating and you coud have some deaduns in there and some correct term ones. I know some people do matings for a week or more but personally I won't do any more than a day apart eg. day 11 & 13. At least that way you know when the bitch is due to a few days.

Agree with Ceilidh,

And you do it how I do it C, 11 & 13th day except the occassional bitch that is ovulating sooner like I had at the start of the year.

I would be keeping an eye on her, and if she isnt nesting, panting, high temp, then I would take her to the vet for an ultrasound just to be sure. Cant you see or feel any moving in there?

#7 User is offline   Miranda 

• Proud ANKC Registered Breeder/Exhibitor/Dog Lover since 1975

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

The gestation period is 63 days from the date of ovulation so it would be very hard to estimate when she's due considering the number of times she was mated. I would take her to the vet and get a progesterone test done, this will tell you if the bitch is ready to give birth. If she's ready and nothing is happening there could be a problem and they will probably do an emergency caesarian.

#8 User is offline   shellbyville 

• Forum Regular

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:56 AM

She was mated on day 12, day 14 and because she was still flagging and more receptive we did another mating on day 16.

There is plenty of puppy movement, like I said in my first post. I will keep a close eye on her, she is comfortable right now, just restless and wanting to be close by (which she did for a few days before she had her first litter.)

Thanks for your advice. I am in close contact with my vet.

#9 User is offline   Steve 

• Registered Breeder. MDBA Member
  • State:NSW

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

The fertile period in any bitch is approximately 48 - 72 hours. So regardless of when you mate her or how often there is only ever a three day variable. Conception occurs 2 days following ovulation because when ovulation occurs, the ova are immature and must undergo two meiotic divisions before they can be fertilized. These divisions can take up to 48 to 72 hours to occur.[Post ovulation] Once matured, the ova remain viable for only 2 to 3 days. Because normal sperm of the male delivered by natural insemination can live in the reproductive tract for at least 5 to 6 days, successful conception can occur if a bitch is bred from 2 days prior to ovulation to 4 days after ovulation but her eggs are only able to be fertilised for a small window [max 2 3 days.]

Calculating whether she is actually really over her time means you would look at the last day she mated and add 6 days and there is no danger from having some conceived before the others.

The best way of making sure you have nothing to worry about is to take her temp as this is a perfect way to tell when its time.

Im sure she will do all she has to do in a day or two.

Julie

#10 User is offline   Scales of Justice 

• Breeder

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

I personally would not let her go more than 64 days from the last mating. If you wait too long, and she is not making any attempt to have pups you may lose the puppies. I have seen bitches who just have not whelped when they are due and have lost their litters or else had to have cesarians births. Sometimes the hormones which kick off the birthing process just don't happen and veterinary intervention is needed.

It is possible for a bitch to conceive from each of the matings, ie. have a couple of pups from the first mating and some conceived at the second mating.

Any pups which may have been conceived from a first mating may be in jeopardy.

#11 User is offline   Steve 

• Registered Breeder. MDBA Member

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:34 PM

Yes it is possible to have sperm from more than one mating fertilise the ova which is obvious when two sires are used However there are only 2 or 3 days max when this is possible .So even if sperm from all matings was still around to do the job at most its only three days that this is possible and any one mating has the same potential . One mating can result in ova fertilised on any or all of the three days because sperm remains viable for so long .This isnt a long enough interval for it to be an issue .

#12 User is offline   shellbyville 

• Forum Regular

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. I thought she may whelp through the night. Unfortunately not though! She is quite restless, seems uncomfortable. Is licking her vulva quite a bit. She has had moments of shivering and panting, but doesn't continue. She also had a few darker bowel movements and hasn't eaten or had a drink since yesterday afternoon.

I took her temperature and it is 37.2 degrees. Because I havn't been taking her temp before, I am unsure if it has dropped or not.

However I am going to take her to the vet today and see what he thinks. I think she is in the early stages of labour, but it seems quite slow to me. What is the average period for the first stage of labour?

#13 User is offline   pesh 

• Run by dogs and children

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:49 AM

Take her to the vets, best to be safe than sorry.

Every thing you have said, is stages of labor.

Has her water broke..........?

Is she pushing........?

If either these have happened and she not progressing, head off to the vets.

Good luck...............

#14 Guest_Dianne_*

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:36 AM

If it were me..I'd be off to the vet. better make a 'foolo" of yourself than risk the bitch.

Dianne

#15 User is offline   country girl 

• Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:45 AM

I'm just glad it's not me! I'd be at the vets pdq!

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions